TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Terms of the Model 3 $1k deposit?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by kirkbauer, Feb 11, 2016.

1. kirkbauer

kirkbauer Member

I haven't seen any terms on the deposit as I don't think they are out yet, but does anybody know how it worked for past vehicles? Specifically:

1) Can you cancel and get a refund? If so how and when?
    2) Can you transfer your reservation/deposit to somebody else?

2. bigbear

bigbear Member

can't you get your deposit back up until production?

3. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

Yes. Anytime up until you finalize your order you can tell them you want to cancel and they will refund your money.
    No.

4. Bimbels

Bimbels GoldMember

My understanding of the way they have done it previously is that you could transfer that deposit towards a different Tesla model if you so choose. Is that true?

5. LeonardD

LeonardD Member

That is indeed the case. It essentially amounts to a refund, but the process is faster.

6. CaptainKirk

CaptainKirk Member

Can the car be titled under someone else in the same family if the deposit is in an alternate family member's name? Perhaps those with experience with Model S / X can comment.

7. Chickenlittle

Chickenlittle Active Member

Yes. When built you can title in for instance company name even if reservation in your name

8. Red Sage

Red Sage The Cybernetic Samurai

They would likely be revealed in the tons and tons of microscopic fine print and legalese. Here's a head start:
    170cbe8da9b8e5ba7612984639fb7840.jpg

9. Breezy

Breezy Member

10. omarsultan

omarsultan Active Member

Probably, the deposit on our X is in my name, but the car is jointly titled with my wife. IIRC, when you confirm the order, I don't remember any restriction on how the car gets titled.

---updated---

Just went to the MyTesla page and it let me completely remove myself from the registration.

11. Tree95

Tree95 Member

I made a $5K deposit on the X in 2013, and I made a $2k deposit for an 85D the night the dual motor was announced in October 2014. I canceled the Model X order and had the $5K Model X deposit moved over to my S. There was no problem; they seem to be flexible.

Note the timeline - a model X deposit in 2013. I'd still be waiting for the thing had I not bought the S. I fear Tesla will be very, very late on the Model 3, too. So go ahead and put down a deposit and then hope they let you move it towards a CPO S in two years when you get tired of waiting for the 3.