Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Terrible brake noise when reversing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Every morning, when I back out of my garage, there is a horrible squealing when I put on the brakes. It is very loud and must drive my neighbors crazy. The car is 6 months old and did not make this noise when it was brand new.

After a moment, the brake noise goes away (perhaps after the rotors make one rotation under pressure). If I use the car a few hours later, the noise does not occur. It seems to be after an extended time, like overnight. I can't imagine my brake pads are bad. The noise is not similar to what one would hear when the pads are low and the metal tab is rubbing.

I've been hoping it would go away as the brake pads get more broken in, but it hasn't. I've had this on other cars occasionally, but it would usually go away after a little bit, but this persists. Driving forward, there are no noises whatsoever.

Are others experiencing this? Does anyone have a solution?

Recently?

Has it been raining where you live?

No, it hasn't been raining. I get the exact same noise if it's early in the morning (cold) or later, once it's warm. I'm in the Bay Area, so the weather is very temperate. This has been going on for a few months.

I'm hesitant to call Tesla since this will inevitably be something they can't reproduce, since it only happens after the car sits for 12+ hours.

Can you elaborate how recent rain would cause the noise?
Rust. Disk brake rotors are made of steel with a high iron content. When it rains or is humid, water can condense on the rotor and rust it. When this happens and you give the brake pedal the first few presses the brake pads make contact with the rusted material and make a scraping sound until the scrapes it off.

With ICE cars you usually have a shorter occurrence of this noise since their pads are usually lightly touching the rotors even when you are not pressing on the brakes. Also, without regen braking, ICE vehicles use the disk brakes to slow much more often.

FWIW, I live in the SF East Bay Area and it happens to my X all the time until the warmer months.

No, it hasn't been raining. I get the exact same noise if it's early in the morning (cold) or later, once it's warm. I'm in the Bay Area, so the weather is very temperate. This has been going on for a few months.

I'm hesitant to call Tesla since this will inevitably be something they can't reproduce, since it only happens after the car sits for 12+ hours.
Have someone standing outside next to the car record it as you back up.

Reactions: jboy210
You're going to go crazy trying to duplicate this under perfect circumstances.

I would take a deep breath and make a service appointment. The car will easily sit for 12 hours if it gets dropped off in the evening.

Even if you somehow figure out (or get a decent idea) what this may be prior to a SC appointment, they're still not going to do the fix unless they duplicate it. These SC's won't do a thing based on owner reporting and owner hypotheses.

Good luck !

Last edited:
Reactions: David Sowden
I have a SRMY and started getting an incredibly loud squealing from the brakes also only when backing up. It started when I had only 600 miles on the vehicle and now have over 4K and the squealing is still there (only when reversing and applying medium brake pressure).
There has been no rain or anything and it does it consistently anytime I back out from an slight incline (driveway or hilly street). If it is on a flat street, it is quiet.

Best thing to do is schedule a service appointment.

It would be nice of @dgstan reported back on what the issue actually was.
Sorry I haven't reported back. It's been sunny, warm, and dry here and I'm still getting the screeching noise when backing up. It still happens even after the brakes warm up, just much quieter.

I keep forgetting to make the appointment, because I only really hear it when I leave the house. By the time I get home, I've forgotten all about it until next time. Appointment has now been scheduled for next week. I'll report back.

Sorry I haven't reported back. It's been sunny, warm, and dry here and I'm still getting the screeching noise when backing up. It still happens even after the brakes warm up, just much quieter.

I keep forgetting to make the appointment, because I only really hear it when I leave the house. By the time I get home, I've forgotten all about it until next time. Appointment has now been scheduled for next week. I'll report back.
I am having the same issue, what was the outcome of your service call?

Every morning, when I back out of my garage, there is a horrible squealing when I put on the brakes. It is very loud and must drive my neighbors crazy. The car is 6 months old and did not make this noise when it was brand new.

After a moment, the brake noise goes away (perhaps after the rotors make one rotation under pressure). If I use the car a few hours later, the noise does not occur. It seems to be after an extended time, like overnight. I can't imagine my brake pads are bad. The noise is not similar to what one would hear when the pads are low and the metal tab is rubbing.

I've been hoping it would go away as the brake pads get more broken in, but it hasn't. I've had this on other cars occasionally, but it would usually go away after a little bit, but this persists. Driving forward, there are no noises whatsoever.

Are others experiencing this? Does anyone have a solution?
Do you leave the car with the parking brake on? Not P but red P circle (hold down the shift button)
It could be that the parking brake is not releasing properly or is jammed. This could make a noise in reverse and then disengage going forward.

Even in P, the caliper may be siezed and causing drag in reverse.

I would have it checked out.

Reactions: David Sowden
This is from the stick-slip nature of the friction interface. All brake pads squeal, the trick is to have the squealing be at a non-audible frequency and/or volume. One solution is lubricated shims that are often placed on the back of disk brake pads. This helps absorb and dissipate the motion. You might try servicing the brakes to make sure an adequate about of brake grease (aka "anti-squeal") compound is between the shim and the pad (if such exists on the MY; I haven't been there yet). One other possibility is "bedding-in the brakes", which deposits and bonds a layer of friction material on the rotor sufaces, which can change the nature of the friction interface (and give better braking too). This is a driver procedure so no wrenching required. Just make sure you can perform it safely.

My wife and I each have a Model 3 Performance.
Hers makes a terrible squeaking sound while backing down the driveway, mine does not.
Her vehicle is in Creep mode, mine is in Hold.
To stop or slow down our vehicles in reverse, my wife has to hit the brakes, I just release the accelerator.
So, I recommend changing your drive mode to Roll, or Hold.
That way, you'll never have to touch the brakes while backing down the driveway.

Reactions: Eto Demerzel