Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Terrible brake noise when reversing

dgstan

Jun 28, 2018
Campbell, CA
Every morning, when I back out of my garage, there is a horrible squealing when I put on the brakes. It is very loud and must drive my neighbors crazy. The car is 6 months old and did not make this noise when it was brand new.

After a moment, the brake noise goes away (perhaps after the rotors make one rotation under pressure). If I use the car a few hours later, the noise does not occur. It seems to be after an extended time, like overnight. I can't imagine my brake pads are bad. The noise is not similar to what one would hear when the pads are low and the metal tab is rubbing.

I've been hoping it would go away as the brake pads get more broken in, but it hasn't. I've had this on other cars occasionally, but it would usually go away after a little bit, but this persists. Driving forward, there are no noises whatsoever.

Are others experiencing this? Does anyone have a solution?

dgstan

Jun 28, 2018
Campbell, CA
Recently?

Has it been raining where you live?

No, it hasn't been raining. I get the exact same noise if it's early in the morning (cold) or later, once it's warm. I'm in the Bay Area, so the weather is very temperate. This has been going on for a few months.

I'm hesitant to call Tesla since this will inevitably be something they can't reproduce, since it only happens after the car sits for 12+ hours.

jboy210

Supporting Member
Dec 2, 2016
Northern California
Can you elaborate how recent rain would cause the noise?
Rust. Disk brake rotors are made of steel with a high iron content. When it rains or is humid, water can condense on the rotor and rust it. When this happens and you give the brake pedal the first few presses the brake pads make contact with the rusted material and make a scraping sound until the scrapes it off.

With ICE cars you usually have a shorter occurrence of this noise since their pads are usually lightly touching the rotors even when you are not pressing on the brakes. Also, without regen braking, ICE vehicles use the disk brakes to slow much more often.

FWIW, I live in the SF East Bay Area and it happens to my X all the time until the warmer months.

• Informative
Reactions: srlawren

Shateam

Apr 13, 2016
NJ
Rust on the rotors (from a rain event for instance) would be more of a quick “clank” noise.

OP says it’s more of a high pitched squeaking.

DanDi58

Jun 22, 2020
Dayton NJ
No, it hasn't been raining. I get the exact same noise if it's early in the morning (cold) or later, once it's warm. I'm in the Bay Area, so the weather is very temperate. This has been going on for a few months.

I'm hesitant to call Tesla since this will inevitably be something they can't reproduce, since it only happens after the car sits for 12+ hours.
Have someone standing outside next to the car record it as you back up.

Reactions: jboy210
Sep 23, 2020
Sacramento CA
You're going to go crazy trying to duplicate this under perfect circumstances.

I would take a deep breath and make a service appointment. The car will easily sit for 12 hours if it gets dropped off in the evening.

Even if you somehow figure out (or get a decent idea) what this may be prior to a SC appointment, they're still not going to do the fix unless they duplicate it. These SC's won't do a thing based on owner reporting and owner hypotheses.

Good luck !

Last edited:

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC