Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Terrible Buying Experience - Should I be as turned off as I am?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for this community. I am on the verge of giving up on getting my dream car - the Model X - because of all the little things that have gone wrong in my buying experience. Here's the story of how my Model X buying experience has panned out so far:

• My first port of call was to set up a test drive. I set up a test drive in early September.
  • Fault 1: After driving an hour to get to the store, I was running late and called Tesla to ask if it was OK that I was running late. They said "No problem! Just show up and we'll take you out!". I got there 15 minutes late, and was told there was no one to give me a test drive. I needed to reschedule. I was disappointed, but they told me my OA could bring the car to my house. "Cool! They are really trying to take care of me!"
  • Fault 2: The OA came to my house and gave me a 15 minute test drive and couldn't get auto-parking to work. (Later, I had a second test drive, and realize I didn't see even 1/10th of the features of the car on the first one.)
  • After weighing my options (Dream Car vs. Practical Car), I was leaning towards my dream car - the Model X. I called up to talk pricing and realized I didn't see any features of Enhanced Autopilot. I set up another test drive.
  • The second test drive was with a new OA (the first one quit) and it was much more thorough. Enhanced Autopilot sold me even more on the car, and on buying that feature.
  • Annoyance 1: I told the OA to get me pricing on some inventory vehicles. We had to go back and forth dozens of times because I can't peruse the inventory myself and was hoping to find a great deal.
  • Fault 3: Through this process, my OA was giving me only half of the information about included features at each turn, and he felt generally ignorant of the features until I pushed with more directed questions.
  • Fault 4: I asked for more information on the CO tax credit, and when/how I would receive my $5000. I had to call 3 different Tesla shops and the main line to ultimately find out that I could call CO Dept of Revenue. I would have figured they had this information handy for their sales reps if they want to sell cars.
  • Fault 5: I told my rep I was 100% ready to order but he needed to call me on Oct 24th early in the day, before I got on a plane and was disconnected for a week. He called me late in the day on Oct 24, as I was on the Jetway - not in a position to place an order.
  • Fault 6: On the jetway, he told me he was wrong about the taxes, and costs. I originally was told it was a $5000 down payment + 4% taxes. When connecting with my rep on the jetway, I found out the taxes were 8%, not 4% – a difference of $5000 in taxes owed. Needed to re-run my numbers, and thought that might be a deal-breaker for me.
  • Fault 7: Since I was disconnected, I had to re-run my numbers when I got back home on Oct 28th. At that time, I told my OA I was still interested, but needed to clear up some questions before I could put down my deposit. He waited 2 full days to get back to me. I received a call late in the day on Oct 31st (a few hours before the $1000 off deadline). He cleared up my tax question, and turns out it wasn't a deal breaker. I re-ran my numbers, and was ready to buy.
  • Fault 8: Since I went to put in my deposit on Nov 1 (hours after the $1000 off deadline, which I missed because of this horrific back and forth, including a 2-day turnaround time on basic questions), they refused to honor the $1000 off referral reward for me.
  • Annoyance 2: In following up about the reward with Tesla's main office, I had an experience with their inside rep who, like a mother hen, said, "Well, if we give you $1000 off, we need to give everyone $1000 off!" She promised to talk to her superiors and follow up with me the following day about a possible exception to the $1000 referral reward.
  • Fault 9: I never heard back from her.
  • Fault 10: I told my OA to continue to send me quotes, and I would move forward without the reward, but was hopeful they could figure something out. He sent me a quote for an inventory car. I called to place the order, and he had gotten the price wrong by $1000 in the quote. (Now my perception is I'm paying $1000 more b/c I'm missing the referral reward, and this idiot just misquoted me). I told him to forget that car, and I'd wait for another deal.
  • Fault 11: After calling to follow up on the referral reward, we found out the case was never assigned to anyone.
  • Fault 12: Once the case was assigned, I had one of the most uncomfortable and confusing calls with my OA and his manager - who both had no idea what was going on, and just repeatedly told me that I would never get the $1000 referral reward.
  • Fault 13: By now, with 10 faults lined up, we are hoping this is mostly a problem with my OA and the Long Tree branch. We called the store in Cherry Creek to switch reps. The OA there was very understanding and wanted to help us find a car. He said he would call us back later in the day with inventory. We never heard back from him.
  • Fault 14: We called to follow up to see why we hadn't heard back. That rep + the manager left for the day without fulfilling their promise.
To be honest, all of this has me seriously questioning whether I should get a Tesla at all. I hear great stories about their customer service, but this purchasing experience is one of the worst I have ever experienced. Every interaction seems to have some sort of fault.

I'm really concerned that I'll get a Tesla, be spending a huge amount of money on a car, and then will be really dissatisfied with the service, upkeep, etc. The OAs make huge promises about caring for their drivers – but how can they, when this is how the purchasing experience is handled???

Right now, I am moving away from ever owning a Tesla. I'm wondering what other people on this forum think.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
When I started looking for inventory cars I soon realized that I had to ask very specific questions regarding the cars options since the packages would change over time. I was quoted an interest rate that was not applicable to the vehicle I was going to buy (inventory vs custom). I'm hoping the delivery process will be better than the buying process was.

I purchased my car through their website, which was great because I didn’t have to worry about any sales pressure and new what I was getting. I see deals posted on this forum all the time regarding inventory cars, but I feel if you are happy with a configuration just get it and move on to ownership phase. You won’t regret your dream car, even with all these minor fir and finish annoyances. Tesla service will take care of any issues you have. To be honest most of us know more about the cars than the OA, because we are always on these forums. Don’t let this bad experience make you miss out on a Tesla ownership experience. Btw, I will be an all EV family hopefully by the end of this year. Let me know if you have any further questions.

When I started looking for inventory cars I soon realized that I had to ask very specific questions regarding the cars options since the packages would change over time. I was quoted an interest rate that was not applicable to the vehicle I was going to buy (inventory vs custom). I'm hoping the delivery process will be better than the buying process was.

Make sure that you inspect the car first, they will try to get you to pay first.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
I had a very similar experience, I ditched the OA and asked to deal directly with a manager, the difference was huge and the store manager took care of all the issues we previously had... I was walking away from tesla and ended up buying an X and also an S. You need to find an OA or manager that cares.

Reactions: Bebop
I bought my cars online but have noticed that the experience with Tesla employees for delivery and maintenance / repairs is very dependent on who you are actually dealing with. Some are incredible and go way beyond what anyone would expect and some are morons. Most are very good and really seem to care.

I had a very similar experience, I ditched the OA and asked to deal directly with a manager, the difference was huge and the store manager took care of all the issues we previously had... I was walking away from tesla and ended up buying an X and also an S. You need to find an OA or manager that cares.
I’m having equal trouble with managers. Would you be able to DM me the name of the person you worked with so I can reach out? I don’t care what state he’s in.

@csalvato - Hopefully you're using the referral code of someone local to your area. (If not, pm me and I'll help you connect with a well-connected local owner).

They should be able to help navigate what you're running into ... make them work for that referral! They're getting rewarded, too. :)

Not everyone has an experience like yours. No excuses, it should be better. I hope you still go forward with your purchase.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Carl and pilotSteve
@csalvato - Hopefully you're using the referral code of someone local to your area. (If not, pm me and I'll help you connect with a well-connected local owner).

I have a referral code from a friend in Australia...why would I want to use a local owner instead? When you say make them work for the referral, do you mean that they may have some pull with the OAs/managers to drive price down a bit?

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
I have a referral code from a friend in Australia...why would I want to use a local owner instead? When you say make them work for the referral, do you mean that they may have some pull with the OAs/managers to drive price down a bit?
No. A local owner will have gotten to know the people at the store and service center & should be able to help you personally. They also will be able to tell you about different local EV groups, local incentives, etc. But if you've already committed to using your friend's code in Australia, you should prob do that.

You do have a local owners club in Colorado Springs -- Colorado Springs EV Club. Just an fyi. Also a Denver club: Denver Tesla Club

No. A local owner will have gotten to know the people at the store and service center & should be able to help you personally. They also will be able to tell you about different local EV groups, local incentives, etc. But if you've already committed to using your friend's code in Australia, you should prob do that.

You do have a local owners club in Colorado Springs -- Colorado Springs EV Club. Just an fyi. Also a Denver club: Denver Tesla Club

Wow, super helpful Bonnie! I appreciate it!

Yeah there seems to be a lot of..."I'll do this for you" and no actual following through on your word. Communication is terrible. The only luck I've had was escalating through my account and got a response within like 2 minutes to solve an issue.

Yeah there seems to be a lot of..."I'll do this for you" and no actual following through on your word. Communication is terrible. The only luck I've had was escalating through my account and got a response within like 2 minutes to solve an issue.

Your account post-purchase, you mean? I am starting to think I will get much better service if I put my $2500 down...then I'm a customer, not a lead - something they seem to value more highly...at least I think..?