Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Terrible Buying Experience - Should I be as turned off as I am?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
^^ If it makes any difference @Canuck , this community has really turned my opinion around. I realize now this is where I should have started, and not the Tesla store...

Great. Sorry to come down a bit hard on you. Try not to let this bad experience alone turn you off from Tesla altogether. You have a right to be upset about the runaround you are getting but the vehicle is so great I wouldn't want you to miss out solely because of poor customer service. You still need to get the car and then experience the poor vehicle service, if you can even get an appointment... ;)

• Love
Reactions: csalvato
A few quick (probably controversial) thoughts:

1) This will be hard for many to accept but I think that Tesla in general and the Model X more specifically should be seen not as polished products but as concepts and beta type products. There is a lot of great technology but you'll be getting firmware updates that fix bugs, random bugs that show up sometimes, lack of polish in some areas, etc. In order to be happy with Tesla, I think that you need to have a bit of a "roll with it" attitude as opposed to a "I'm going to go through everything with a fine toothed comb because this is a lot of money that I am spending." Today's model X is a lot better than those that came out on launch day but for some of the baseline car features, it's just difficult for a small company with little history like Tesla to be expected to be at the same level of a well established car company that has been making cars for decades such as Toyota, BMW, MB, etc.

2) Inventory car search is annoying because we have little visibility. You need to find a good OA that will work with you but even then, you need to be flexible and ready to jump quickly. Asking way too many questions about this and that can cause delays and losing out on the car, etc. In my case, I emailed my OA with everything that I wanted split up into must haves, nice to haves, and don't want, etc. He had all the info in one email and 2 days later he sent me a few cars that he was seeing. I asked a few questions via email and jumped on one of them. Everything was done within about 3 emails each and 1 hour of time. I don't know if I found the best deal I could find but it was good enough for me.

3) Will you be happy? I think this is the critical question. I interview candidates for my business school alma mater and many times we reject potential students because even though they are excited and want to attend, we just don't think they'll be happy and satisfied with the program. I think most of the unhappy people online are those that vehemently disagree with my section #1 above. They have 100% valid points such as "why should I have to put up with X when I am buying a $100k car", etc. and you're right but going to the service center every week with nitpicking issues is a sure way to be dissatisfied and annoy the service center.

A few quick (probably controversial) thoughts:

I totally agree with what you posted. It does take a completely different mind-set to research, buy, and own a Tesla. Some people just aren't ready for this kind of "different" experience (note, I didn't say "better").

Now when people jump in without really knowing "The Tesla Way" upfront, I can see why some people have higher expectations like they would of BMW or Mercedes, etc and have less-then-pleasent experiences. Hopefully this will improve in the long run, but in many ways, Tesla is still a very young company and has a lot to learn.

I remember one new TMC poster who wrote this long diatribe about how bad the audio system was (to his sensitive audiophile ears), and how that was a total deal-breaker for him, and he wasn't going to buy the car because of it. Really? You're going to totally give up driving the most technologically advanced, fastest, most fun, BEV/zero-emmissions, and sexy car on the planet, because the audio system isn't up to snuff?? You just can't please everyone.

It would be nice if there was a "Tesla Primer" to show people up-front what to expect and how to deal with Tesla, so people aren't so surprised when things don't go perfectly. Most of the sales associates are young, and don't have a lot of training. From empirical evidence, there seems to be a lot of turnover in the stores and galleries. Even when I went to pick up my first P85+ in 2014, the delivery associate was new and got several things "not quite right" during the delivery session. Didn't bother me though -- I was way to excited to actually be driving away in a new Model S to let *anything* bother me.

Thanks for your thoughts @RVD98072. Some replies for you, conversationally, of course :)

Pre-amble: I put my deposit down on a Model X yesterday.

1) This will be hard for many to accept but I think that Tesla in general and the Model X more specifically should be seen not as polished products but as concepts and beta type products. There is a lot of great technology but you'll be getting firmware updates that fix bugs, random bugs that show up sometimes, lack of polish in some areas, etc. In order to be happy with Tesla, I think that you need to have a bit of a "roll with it" attitude as opposed to a "I'm going to go through everything with a fine toothed comb because this is a lot of money that I am spending." Today's model X is a lot better than those that came out on launch day but for some of the baseline car features, it's just difficult for a small company with little history like Tesla to be expected to be at the same level of a well established car company that has been making cars for decades such as Toyota, BMW, MB, etc.

To me, this isn't a problem. I'm an entrepreneur and acting CTO for a small startup company. I love and embrace the concept that it's all in beta, and things will get better over time. A main selling point for me is that the day I buy the car is the worst version of the car. I am totally fine with some bugs and "missing features" (i.e. phone screen mirroring) because I get the impression this is a work in progress, and Tesla will always be working on the most impactful features that really make a difference - and everything will always get better.

That's a separate point to the sales and customer interaction process though. The product can be great, but if the sales/CS teams are unwilling to help you (or do a bad job of it), that's usually a pretty good sign of nefarious undertones within an innovation company.

To use a concrete example, I am a part of the team at Food to take you further | Territory. We are still catering to our early adopters, and our systems (from software to logistics) are continually improving and always in a state of beta. We haven't gotten it all right, just yet, but most of our customers are really happy.

However, when we run into a customer who had an experience like mine, I do whatever I can to make that customer happy. We refund the meals that didn't go so well. If there were problems with delivery, we give a credit to make up for it.

A huge complaint I have about my process in general is that all these little things add up, and when I look for a token of good faith, I got a "well, if we did that for you, we'd have to do it for everyone!"

Well, if everyone had an experience with as many pitfalls as mine, you should have a CS/Sales process in place that makes those people happy.

This isn't a criticism of Tesla - obviously I am getting the car - it's just a point as to what makes a great customer service and sales company. As I said earlier, Tesla is *not* a great sales company. They don't value salespeople (shitty pay + no commissions), and Elon abhors marketing. So a big part of this, for me, is understanding that this company doesn't value that part of the process, and I should have been going the low-touch route (i.e. this forum + ordering custom online)

2) Inventory car search is annoying because we have little visibility. You need to find a good OA that will work with you but even then, you need to be flexible and ready to jump quickly. Asking way too many questions about this and that can cause delays and losing out on the car, etc. In my case, I emailed my OA with everything that I wanted split up into must haves, nice to haves, and don't want, etc. He had all the info in one email and 2 days later he sent me a few cars that he was seeing. I asked a few questions via email and jumped on one of them. Everything was done within about 3 emails each and 1 hour of time. I don't know if I found the best deal I could find but it was good enough for me.

To me this goes back to the process, not the people. The inventory buying process is absolutely terrible compared to the custom design process - for all the reasons you mentioned. If you could easily browse all inventory as a consumer, for example, then I wouldn't have had terrible experiences with OA giving me half information and not knowing their *sugar* about taxes, fees, financing, etc.

Also, if you know your high-touch sales process is total crap, why force it on people who want to buy inventory cars?

3) Will you be happy? I think this is the critical question. I interview candidates for my business school alma mater and many times we reject potential students because even though they are excited and want to attend, we just don't think they'll be happy and satisfied with the program. I think most of the unhappy people online are those that vehemently disagree with my section #1 above. They have 100% valid points such as "why should I have to put up with X when I am buying a $100k car", etc. and you're right but going to the service center every week with nitpicking issues is a sure way to be dissatisfied and annoy the service center.

Yes, I will. :) I just needed to know what I was getting into a bit more.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 person
I went through quite an ordeal getting my car which I haven't received yet. The only way to get Tesla to help you is to bug the living hell out of them. I swear I talked to almost every employee in corporate. They eventually did help me but I'm still left with a car that isn't actually what I wanted.

My buying experience was pretty simple. I did a ton of online research, arranged a test drive to check it out, arranged a second test drive with my wife and then ordered one in the store to the spec I wanted. The sales guys were pretty helpful, but I didn't ask much of them. At least there was no hard sell BS to contend with! Really you have to work it all out for yourself and not expect sales reps to help in decision making.

Anyway, hope it works out for you in the end.

My buying experience was pretty simple. I did a ton of online research, arranged a test drive to check it out, arranged a second test drive with my wife and then ordered one in the store to the spec I wanted. The sales guys were pretty helpful, but I didn't ask much of them. At least there was no hard sell BS to contend with! Really you have to work it all out for yourself and not expect sales reps to help in decision making.

Anyway, hope it works out for you in the end.

This is true. But if you want to buy an inventory car at discount, you need to rely on the OA much more and I think that was the source of much of the OP's frustrations.

Reactions: Peteski
This is true. But if you want to buy an inventory car at discount, you need to rely on the OA much more and I think that was the source of much of the OP's frustrations.

Yes, exactly. And they have made it so OAs are the bottleneck you must go through to get things done, with no alternative. So it's a low touch company trying to be high touch, and having no idea wtf they are doing, imho.

Reactions: Peteski
Doesn't seem difficult to make a website that has all of the inventory available as well as location of the car and let's you click to put down a deposit to reserve an inventory car.

OA is useful for people who need to have their hands held a little more but for many of us, we just want to buy the car we want at the optimal balance of options, price, etc.

@csalvato you just need to be a fan boy and give them $100k - c'mon - its a Tesla!

We had much the same pre-sale experience as you did. Inexpert sales staff, confusing procedures etc.

My wife found a very nice used [ah, excuse me, CPO] 2014 with the options she wanted somewhere in LA. We filled out the form online and waited for Tesla to call us. We assumed, like most car companies, an hour or so would go by before it filtered down to the correct location. She filled out the form on a Saturday at 1015am . . .

No call back at all that day. So - we decided, lets drive out to Pasadena to the Tesla store Sunday after church, and drive a car, see if you like, and have them get the car. Like any other normal car dealership.

Oh no - Tesla is not normal. We get there and they have two Model X's out front, girls in bikinis, a food spread in the back, and lots people in Tesla shirts standing around with iPads. Not a single one comes up to us. I figure we must not look like Tesla people, we're definitely not fan boys of anything.

We finally corral one of these people who are literally not doing anything other than avoiding customers - and we say: hey, we're interested in a car, we have not driven one, we'd like to test drive one and look at CPO vs. new.

Now THIS is where they are like any other dealer" "Are you planning on buying a car today?"

Me: Well, I don't have $100k in my pocket, but if you'll take a credit card maybe we can work something out.

Wife: The car is for me, I haven't driven one yet and I'd like to drive one.

Teslagirl: Well, you stupid little girl, we don't do walk up test drives. [What she actually said was: I don't think we have any test drives 'open' today.]
Wife: just stands there - she's no dummy.

Teslagirl: I'll be right back.

Teslaman: comes up to me. Excuse me, you're thinking of a Tesla?

me: Nope.

Teslaman: confused look. Bambi [or whatever her name was] said you were looking for a test drive.

me: that would be my wife. It's her car, SHE is the customer.

Teslaman: oh *sugar* look on his face - turns to my wife - who is standing there not real happy. . . .

And it goes on like this for a few min until he says they don't have any open test drives today: Why don't you schedule one.

Wife: We live 40 miles away, you are the closest dealer so its not exactly convenient.

Teslaman: nothing I can do for you today.

me: so those two car sitting out front are for what purpose? Street decoration? [they both had over 1000 miles on them - so they were not 'showroom fresh'

wife: so I guess it doesn't matter if bought one, we couldn't drive it today? [she's good with snark when its appropriate]

Teslaman: daggers

Anyway - it was not the best introduction to the company anyone ever had. Who ever thought you would need to call in advance to schedule a test drive at their convenience? BMW/MB and heck, even Maserati let you walk in off the street and test drive a car.

So she schedules one for next week, somewhere else. And orders a car. The process is relatively painless at this point. We get the $1000 off and free supercharging.

three days later we get the invoice and final agreement - no $1000 off. Suffice to say getting it was not a problem.

The salesman [cut the OA crap, they're salesmen] tells me we can swap the deposit to another car, I find the exact color and options - only difference is white vs, cream - the new cream is pretty damn close to white -so I called him and said 'you told us you'd be looking for a car in white or cream - I found one [you lazy bastaaard] and then he says 'its not available." [Yes, it was Oct 25 that I called - ]

I said: "so it was available yesterday, but not today, and you were supposed to be looking for one, and here one was, sitting in inventory closer to us that you are sitting now, and I had to find it." He sent us a jacket.

Then we had the 'discussion' over their need to retain a photocopy online of my wife's driver license. We're paying cash, no financing, no liens. Cash. You can certainly have the number of her DL for the Bill of Sale and title document, but if you don't have our document, when you have a data breach we have nothing to worry about.

Well you would have thought we just tried to steal the prototype model 3. "Not follow our procedures blessed by Elon himself? You must be joking." So they 'understand' our concern and tell us that since we're not using financing they can 'make an exception' blah blah blah. I laughed. Literally.

Then we got a call from the salesman. He tells us all about the loyalty discount code program - to help them sell more cars - and says things like we can get a tour of the factory, or get to sit in on a product announcement with Elon. He said this seriously. As if we'd been waiting months to hear that we can sit off to the side and watch Elon perform.

The bride is looking forward to the car. we both have open eyes on this adventure though. It feels an awful lot like I"m buying a DeLorean or a K car when they first came out. Lots of fanboydom and questionable quality.

At the least the EAP car we test drove did not try to kill us. And the autopark worked. That was a tight space - I would have not put it back in there if I were driving.

BTW: she got the call back from the original contact TEN days later - a week and a half.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing that story @comanchepilot ...I have a call with regional sales manager to talk about my experience. I'll make sure to bring up stories like these.
sadly, if they cared they'd change it, the company is based on the cult of the personality and they've been selling cars to fanboys and girls the last 5 years. I get it - its a neat car with lots of space ranger features - hopefully they all work!

I appreciate everyone sharing their stories on here. I ordered an inventory vehicle several weeks ago and suffice it to say my experience has been similarly frustrating. Lots of unanswered emails, moved deadlines, and general confusion about the process. I was supposed to take delivery of my Model X (my dream car!) yesterday but was told there was a software issue that they couldn't resolve. They moved delivery to today, which was again cancelled because the service team cannot figure out how to fix the software issue--and they have no idea when they will figure it out (my requests for more specific info have gone unanswered).

For current owners: I have NO doubt that the Model X is an amazing piece of technology and lots of fun to drive--but is it reliable enough to use as your only car? I wish I had enough cash to burn on a car I know to be a high voltage science experiment, but I don't. I'm starting to have serious concerns about the wisdom of this purchase and wondering if I should start figuring out how to cut ties with Tesla.

• Informative
I don't regret buying a Model X but I went through a ton of frustration as well and almost gave up on it. The day I took delivery, I was never happier...but I haven't really been that happy since. Don't get me wrong, driving the Model X is a unique experience and I don't know if I could ever go back to driving a gas-powered car. I see you already put down your deposit (congratulations!) but didn't catch which battery pack you got. Sorry, I had to skim through this. Anyway, if range matters to you, I strongly suggest the 100D, nothing less. Best of luck to you.