Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Terrible CPO Experience Today - Moral is Really Check Out the Car and/or Photos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We all know that these CPO cars are anything but. I currently have 2015 S 85D with a lease expiring the end of the year. I have been looking at 2015 S P85D's.

Thanks to Ev-cpo I got a notification of a price decrease on a a car I had been watching.

I immediately placed my $2,500 deposit and emailed for photos. Although the CPO adviser I have been emailing has been slow to respond, he was pretty quick today getting me the photos after I placed my deposit.

There were about 20 photos of good quality, but poor with respect to what you could actually see. However, I did notice 2 large hail size intentions on the hood, and what appeared to be body damage on the right passenger side above the wheel well. Not scratches, body damage.

Before traveling 1500 miles to pick up the car within 7 days, I called my local Tesla certified body shop and asked if they could do an estimate by photo. They said sure and I sent some photos and received an estimate back several minutes later for $8,300. WTF?

So I emailed and eventually spoke on the phone with the CPO adviser to see if Tesla might be willing to lower the purchase price a bit to offset the the body damage. Nope. I asked for my deposit back.

I get that Tesla is not reconditioning cars, but this car should not be sold as is.

My bitching for the day.

In theory. But I have tried to get pictures for about a week and watched 3 or 4 cars I was interested in be bought before I ever got pictures. My point is not the pictures, it is that no one should be selling a used car with 8k of body damage
I'm with you there.. They have done some really detailed car reports lately and then others are blurry and don't know its it a dent or a reflection. If and or once they have a company standard where a buyer can click a link to see pictures and descriptions of what you're a looking at, its just a crap shoot on where the car is it seems..

• Informative
Reactions: PhilDavid
Used cars need to be seen in person.

Any brand, any car.

Actually this applies mostly if you buy a used Tesla from Tesla because they apparently don;t have standards any more.

Buy any other CPO car, even a Hyundai or Kia, and they will deliver a car that is like new that you can buy with confidence. We once bought a CPO Mercedes sight unseen because we knew they had standards and would deliver a quality car and sure enough the car was in immaculate condition. Go to the CPO lot of any premium car dealer and you will see hundreds of used cars that are like new.

Reactions: neroden and Russell
We all know that these CPO cars are anything but. I currently have 2015 S 85D with a lease expiring the end of the year. I have been looking at 2015 S P85D's.

Thanks to Ev-cpo I got a notification of a price decrease on a a car I had been watching.

I immediately placed my $2,500 deposit and emailed for photos. Although the CPO adviser I have been emailing has been slow to respond, he was pretty quick today getting me the photos after I placed my deposit.

There were about 20 photos of good quality, but poor with respect to what you could actually see. However, I did notice 2 large hail size intentions on the hood, and what appeared to be body damage on the right passenger side above the wheel well. Not scratches, body damage.

Before traveling 1500 miles to pick up the car within 7 days, I called my local Tesla certified body shop and asked if they could do an estimate by photo. They said sure and I sent some photos and received an estimate back several minutes later for $8,300. WTF?

So I emailed and eventually spoke on the phone with the CPO adviser to see if Tesla might be willing to lower the purchase price a bit to offset the the body damage. Nope. I asked for my deposit back.

I get that Tesla is not reconditioning cars, but this car should not be sold as is.

My bitching for the day.

Sorry to hear about your experience but honestly this is not surprising as they could not treat people who buy CPO any worse.

They've tried to sell cars that literally have holes in the bumper and damage to just about every single body panel.

Just be glad that you were smart enough to send the photos to a body shop so you know how much the damage would cost to fix.

They are looking for a sucker to buy that car, and be glad that it is not you!

Reactions: neroden
as an update, Tesla has said they can refund me my deposit but it will take about 3 weeks. In the meantime, I will keep looking at CPO cars and see if I can get more info from posters about negotiating the price of a CPO. The adviser said they wont, but I am fairly certain I have seen posts where they do.

as an update, Tesla has said they can refund me my deposit but it will take about 3 weeks. In the meantime, I will keep looking at CPO cars and see if I can get more info from posters about negotiating the price of a CPO. The adviser said they wont, but I am fairly certain I have seen posts where they do.

They won't negotiate CPO prices. Don't even try as there is no point.

They WILL however decrease most CPO prices so keep tracking a car you like until it is the price you want as many have daily price reductions.

And then make sure they are not trying to sell you a damaged car.

Although it seems the few threads recalling a less than optimal buying experiences always seem to get alot of attention. I can says I have three co-workers who each bought a non-refurbished used car from tesla and all received really nice cars.

One of the cars was a 2015 P85DL, thats right, P85DL. It had 20k miles, white, black interior. Fully loaded for 71k. The car is perfect! I have ridden in it several times. Really nice cars are out there keep looking.

Although it seems the few threads recalling a less than optimal buying experiences always seem to get alot of attention. I can says I have three co-workers who each bought a non-refurbished used car from tesla and all received really nice cars.

One of the cars was a 2015 P85DL, thats right, P85DL. It had 20k miles, white, black interior. Fully loaded for 71k. The car is perfect! I have ridden in it several times. Really nice cars are out there keep looking.
The people that buy “P” probably treats the car better than the folks that buy a reg S. My guess.

I think the overwhelming vast majority of people who buy a Tesla treats it like their child.

I know friends of ours who are not car people but are as careful with their Tesla as their children.

I really think many of these cars get trashed not by the owners but when they added to the loaner fleet as rentals. Unfortunately there are people who abuse what does not belong to them and this is the only justification I can imagine for how trashed some of these cars are.

The people that buy “P” probably treats the car better than the folks that buy a reg S. My guess.

Or people who buy "P" cars (especially "P--L" cars) beat on them a lot more than non-P owners and do constant launches and drive them very hard.

I personally don't believe either one is true.

There are P owners that treat their cars like crap, and P owners who treat their cars like garage queens. And the same for non-P owners. It's more a reflection of the owners than the type/size/cost of the car they buy.

Or people who buy "P" cars (especially "P--L" cars) beat on them a lot more than non-P owners and do constant launches and drive them very hard.

I personally don't believe either one is true.

There are P owners that treat their cars like crap, and P owners who treat their cars like garage queens. And the same for non-P owners. It's more a reflection of the owners than the type/size/cost of the car they buy.

I personally prefer buying my "P" cars from an elderly lady who just uses her car only on Sundays to go to church :p

By the way, has anyone been able to obtain the performance counter details about the car such as how many launches, how many range charges/supercharging sessions, and other actions that might affect the car or battery?

Overall though I feel "P" or non "P" Tesla owners take care of their cars as well or better than other cars in this price segment.