Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Terrible Customer Service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I placed my order for a Model 3 SR+ in late June, last week Tesla asked and received full payment for the car on Wednesday 4th August.
Thinking the delivery of the car must only be a day or two away, one week later still no car and an email today saying the car maybe another week or two away.
Why ask for payment if the car was not even ready for delivery? Communication from Tesla has been very poor and have the tone of not caring about the customer.
I was so looking forward to my new Tesla but they have managed to suck any joy out of receiving my new Model 3.
I’m having a similar issue and I’m very frustrated with the Tesla Delivery process.

I order my M3 in June with expected delivery for mid September. In the first week of this month I got a call from Tesla requesting full payment in 48 hours, as my car was arriving in the country in the and it would be transported from the port directly to Wellington as Auckland was in lockdown. They didn’t gave me a delivery date, just said it could take a couple of weeks and they require full payment to avoid delays.

Since then, I had no communication whatsoever from Tesla! Not even an email acknowledging the payment. I had to chase the delivery agent a couple of times for updates, but he was not able to track my car and provide an ETA.

It’s been 20 days now that I (regrettably) paid my car in full and I still don’t have even a window for delivery. At least I know the car has been registered as I‘ve received my Certificate of Registration.

Reactions: Miggy
Similar things happened back in 2019 when the 1st M3 deliveries were happening

I think the problem is the number of cars they are trying to deliver coupled with the Govt subsidy making M3 more attractive
+ covid adding to the situation
Doesn't help that Tesla is also in high demand

That is still no excuse for poor communication

Reactions: Miggy
Our 3 LR came in from Japan, lightly used but perfect through Kelly's in Christchurch. Presume they will be scouting for more, so keep an eye out. Excellent service and attitude. Though the car does not have ALL goodies we love it. Cheers; Clive Shaw, Timaru
How do you get on with charging, doesn't Japan use the Tesla US type port
which not compatible with NZ charge ports or NZ Tesla supercharger?
How about service for these imports?
Cellular data connection?
Navigation ?

Last edited:
Our 3 LR came in from Japan, lightly used but perfect through Kelly's in Christchurch. Presume they will be scouting for more, so keep an eye out. Excellent service and attitude. Though the car does not have ALL goodies we love it. Cheers; Clive Shaw, Timaru
I had Japan imports in past with real good experience, as I was able to find the ones with all upgrades etc... but I was reluctant about electric cars since watching fair-go car battery story, where old lady had to fork out 35K for car battery replacement (some non Tesla car)... and no known way to get battery inspection done by AA or anyone on arrival as you would get imported car check for traditional cars....

Keen to know your experience as you get to take it around for a good SPIN.

If you don't mind me asking few questions:
  • did you receive that with FSD?
  • premium connectivity easily transferred? I guess dealer would've swapped SIM on import!!!
  • how is battery retaining? my brand new car shows max. 422KM range on 100% charge.... much lower than Tesla promised... how does it look at Japan import on full charge?
  • have you got any fancy mods or accessories from Japan? I only had good experience in past with traditional petrol cars.