Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Terrible delivery experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I originally placed an order for a Model Y performance back in April and was schedule to receive the vehicle late June. Approximately a week ago, I received a VIN and a four day delivery window. On the second day of receiving a VIN, I was given two days to schedule my vehicle for delivery. I chose to schedule a pickup for this past Sunday but about 2 hours prior to my delivery, I get a phone call stating that my car has not arrived and that they did not know where the vehicle is. They were going to reschedule pickup for this Wednesday just to be sure that the vehicle would arrive on time. I ended up calling today just to double check that the vehicle had arrived or was nearby so that I wouldn't have to arrive to find out that the vehicle is not there. After holding for about 5 minutes, the service advisor comes back to tell me that the car to in an off site lot but is nearby. It should be prepped and ready for delivery tomorrow but they were going to call my local service center to coordinate with them. I end up getting a voicemail 2 hours later with someone telling me that there was a logistics issue and that the vehicle was being shipped to a different location. They would try to get it back or could find me a new VIN. I ended up calling them to figure out what was going on but it seemed like they were not forthcoming and that they wanted to push to towards getting a new VIN. I refused a new VIN and stated that I wanted the original VIN as my bank loan and insurance had already been started on the vehicle.

This is the most frustrating vehicle buying experience I have had. It appears that they know something that they are not willing to share. I suspect that they accidentally assigned two people to the same VIN.

I originally placed an order for a Model Y performance back in April and was schedule to receive the vehicle late June. Approximately a week ago, I received a VIN and a four day delivery window. On the second day of receiving a VIN, I was given two days to schedule my vehicle for delivery. I chose to schedule a pickup for this past Sunday but about 2 hours prior to my delivery, I get a phone call stating that my car has not arrived and that they did not know where the vehicle is. They were going to reschedule pickup for this Wednesday just to be sure that the vehicle would arrive on time. I ended up calling today just to double check that the vehicle had arrived or was nearby so that I wouldn't have to arrive to find out that the vehicle is not there. After holding for about 5 minutes, the service advisor comes back to tell me that the car to in an off site lot but is nearby. It should be prepped and ready for delivery tomorrow but they were going to call my local service center to coordinate with them. I end up getting a voicemail 2 hours later with someone telling me that there was a logistics issue and that the vehicle was being shipped to a different location. They would try to get it back or could find me a new VIN. I ended up calling them to figure out what was going on but it seemed like they were not forthcoming and that they wanted to push to towards getting a new VIN. I refused a new VIN and stated that I wanted the original VIN as my bank loan and insurance had already been started on the vehicle.

This is the most frustrating vehicle buying experience I have had. It appears that they know something that they are not willing to share. I suspect that they accidentally assigned two people to the same VIN.
... and the other person has already taken possession of the vehicle which would make this whole situation even more challenging and chaotic for you. Please let us know how things ultimately gets settled and we wish you the best for a positive resolution in your favor 🤞.

Thank you. I hope your delivery experience turns out much better than this.

Although they haven't come out and directly said that they gave the vehicle to someone else, they said that the vehicle was "on the way to another location." Thankfully, I took out a loan with a national bank who has been made aware of the situation. Technically, the vehicle is owned by the bank and with acceptance of their money, they entered a contractual agreement to deliver a vehicle with a specific VIN. I'll let the bank handle it however they choose to if the vehicle does not make it back to me.

There is for sure something they don’t tell you. Just to make you feel better I ordered mine on March 15th and my EDD is July to September. Good luck with the rest of your pick up hoping they give you a car soon.

Brutal! My experience was pretty bad as well...I was on vacation outside of the delivery state and they said I had 4 days to pick it up. Once I picked up there was a massive scratch near the passenger side headlamp and that wasn't it...Wax residue in all of the creases, plastic left behind all along the sunroof, seal by the passenger window defect (they replaced).

So the saga continues. I was originally rescheduled for a delivery on June 27th and without any notice my delivery was cancelled. I did not receive a call or any information about this until I logged into the app just now. I ended up calling Tesla who tells me that they accidentally sent my car outside of the country. Now I'm left to call my bank to let them know that Tesla took their money and also sent the car to a different country.

So the saga continues. I was originally rescheduled for a delivery on June 27th and without any notice my delivery was cancelled. I did not receive a call or any information about this until I logged into the app just now. I ended up calling Tesla who tells me that they accidentally sent my car outside of the country. Now I'm left to call my bank to let them know that Tesla took their money and also sent the car to a different country.
This is totally insane and very sad to hear that you are having to deal with this craziness.

Has Tesla resolved to take care of your case and deliver your car of the same VIN or different VIN? I experienced the same. I got delivery arranged for 5pm 6/30, had my bank wired the payment on 6/30 morning, and sent in the funding confirmation in the afternoon. Probably I shouldn't have in emailed the funding wiring confirmation. About an hour before taking delivery, I checked my app and found it was changed to 7pm. What shocked me was several tasks that was already checked done were no longer showing completed but grayed out. I called 800 number to find out what happened, the first rep said my VIN was a different configuration so the system caught it. What a lame excuse - wouldn't any of your quality control process caught it long before the delivery time? I called again and the second rep said it was still in production so he just removed the VIN from my account. That reason is very odd too, if it's far from completed, wouldn't they know long before the delivery time and not found out just an hour before? Feeling very fishy about the reasons given.

Very frustrated as I'm already paying loan. I live only a few miles from the factory so I stopped by the sales center the next morning. The rep again said it wasn't completed, still in production....etc. I don't understand if it's already in production, why can't they just finished it and reschedule delivery a day or 2 later. The rep said he will try to find another one that will be completed soon and swapped for me but no promise when it'd happen. Today, my app showing new delivery estimate is pushed back 2 weeks......

Has anyone successfully got VIN removed but resolved with an alternate VIN assigned and delivered soon after, given the car is already fully paid.

I had a similar experience. First I received a text told me I must schedule pickup on June 30, otherwise my car will be given to someone else, so I have to make time off on June 30. On the day of pickup in the morning the text told me my car is in transit and will be delivered today. Half an hour before delivery time, my appointment was canceled, and I was told my car still in final phase of production, wtf?? I called them yesterday, the rep said she could not find where my car is. My app still show same VIN. Really a mess…

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
I also had a similar, possibly more frustrating situation. I had a pick up date scheduled for 6/27 11am. I had confirmation texts and phone calls leading up to and including that day. I cut my vacation short and flew home early to meet the time. I showed up at 10:45am and sat a while, then the operations manager told me the car is in Alabama. Apologized, and said it would be home delivered in a few days. The app wanted me to accept delivery. Long story, short, VIN was removed two days later, and my new date is 7/17-8/14. Operations manager that said she would communicate with me every step of the way, never responded to my calls or emails. I did finally talk to someone that stated it was re-routed and that I'm on priority for a config match. They of course also have my deposit money, I Tesla financed, so not even sure what is happening with that. Here's to the best :).

I had a similar experience. First I received a text told me I must schedule pickup on June 30, otherwise my car will be given to someone else, so I have to make time off on June 30. On the day of pickup in the morning the text told me my car is in transit and will be delivered today. Half an hour before delivery time, my appointment was canceled, and I was told my car still in final phase of production, wtf?? I called them yesterday, the rep said she could not find where my car is. My app still show same VIN. Really a mess…
This sounds bad - how and what condition your new Tesla deliver is - seems like the “roll of the dice “

This sounds bad - how and what condition your new Tesla deliver is - seems like the “roll of the dice “
Now I'm back to the waiting for a VIN assigned to me with EDD further delayed. It's so terrible. I talked to 4 different reps -1. it's the wrong configuration 2. it's still in production. 3. it hasn't finished production but I'll try to match you another vehicle - but end up my EDD was further pushed back the day after I talked to the rep. I just called again, now with the 4th rep, she basically repeated the first 2 excuses, it's in the wrong configuration....it's in production, so we'll assign you another one.... so I asked if it's still in production, why can't they correct the configuration for that VIN...then she finally said the HIDDEN reason, it's already assigned to another person "for that configuration" so we can't assign that to you.... take it with grains of salt... what's the real reason? How would they find out it's the wrong configuration an hour before delivery and no human knows a day before?

I have ordered Y, white, 7-seat.

Would talking to a supervisor help? I wonder....

Now I'm back to the waiting for a VIN assigned to me with EDD further delayed. It's so terrible. I talked to 4 different reps -1. it's the wrong configuration 2. it's still in production. 3. it hasn't finished production but I'll try to match you another vehicle - but end up my EDD was further pushed back the day after I talked to the rep. I just called again, now with the 4th rep, she basically repeated the first 2 excuses, it's in the wrong configuration....it's in production, so we'll assign you another one.... so I asked if it's still in production, why can't they correct the configuration for that VIN...then she finally said the HIDDEN reason, it's already assigned to another person "for that configuration" so we can't assign that to you.... take it with grains of salt... what's the real reason? How would they find out it's the wrong configuration an hour before delivery and no human knows a day before?

I have ordered Y, white, 7-seat.

Would talking to a supervisor help? I wonder....
Welcome to Tesla!

Maybe because someone with a higher revenue configuration got it due to the EOQ push?

I also had a similar, possibly more frustrating situation. I had a pick up date scheduled for 6/27 11am. I had confirmation texts and phone calls leading up to and including that day. I cut my vacation short and flew home early to meet the time. I showed up at 10:45am and sat a while, then the operations manager told me the car is in Alabama. Apologized, and said it would be home delivered in a few days. The app wanted me to accept delivery. Long story, short, VIN was removed two days later, and my new date is 7/17-8/14. Operations manager that said she would communicate with me every step of the way, never responded to my calls or emails. I did finally talk to someone that stated it was re-routed and that I'm on priority for a config match. They of course also have my deposit money, I Tesla financed, so not even sure what is happening with that. Here's to the best :).
Have you got your Tesla delivered? My EDD got further pushed back.

They did something similar to me after getting my VIN and Delivery date set. They called me and told me it was someone else's car that had been sitting in the lot being worked on (The person lives in Tampa, FL and im in Atlanta) how does that happen? lol. They said they would put me at the top of their list for the next VIN for my config. The whole thing is making me think twice.

Not yet. No VIN. edd 7/21-8/4
You are not alone... mine was supposed to be delivered 6/21 got a text to pickup early but no option to reschedule in the app... texted back and found out my car had been totaled at the railyard. I was told i would be prioritized and finally got anew VIN on friday 7/15. 7/17 VIN is gone told car was a HOLD (assuming defective at factory) so still waiting on a VIN. Like others tesla has my money (except my trade) and all i can do is wait or possibly file an FTC complaint for violation of the the 30 day rule since i never was outright asked if the delay is okay with me.

All I can hope for is that others can learn from my experience. You do not have to pay and I would not pay for a vehicle until I can touch the vehicle. Tesla's practice of taking their customer's money and then re-selling it a second time at the end of the quarter has been documented before. Had I done more research and known about this before, I would have taken extra precaution.

Reactions: DrGriz
You are not alone... mine was supposed to be delivered 6/21 got a text to pickup early but no option to reschedule in the app... texted back and found out my car had been totaled at the railyard. I was told i would be prioritized and finally got anew VIN on friday 7/15. 7/17 VIN is gone told car was a HOLD (assuming defective at factory) so still waiting on a VIN. Like others tesla has my money (except my trade) and all i can do is wait or possibly file an FTC complaint for violation of the the 30 day rule since i never was outright asked if the delay is okay with me.
Dang! They only have my deposit (~$5500) and I asked for it back. A local rep said they would work on that, but 3 weeks has gone by and nothing. It is so time consuming to get them on the phone with someone that can help that I have not pursued it any longer. They don't reply to my emails. My EDD is still 7/21-8/4 but no VIN, so just waiting for that to get pushed out.Their customer service when there are issues is disheartening. Its great otherwise :).

Dang! They only have my deposit (~$5500) and I asked for it back. A local rep said they would work on that, but 3 weeks has gone by and nothing. It is so time consuming to get them on the phone with someone that can help that I have not pursued it any longer. They don't reply to my emails. My EDD is still 7/21-8/4 but no VIN, so just waiting for that to get pushed out.Their customer service when there are issues is disheartening. Its great otherwise :).
they told me weeks ago they would get my money returned... nothing since (probably about the same as you 3 weeks or so. I looked into options aside from tesla but nothing that isn't a 6-18month wait so ill probably take the car when it comes in or just cancel and ask for my money again. Sounds bad but I appreciate that you shared your issues makes me feel like im not being targeted just bad luck.

Reactions: jaaberle