Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Terrible delivery experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All I can hope for is that others can learn from my experience. You do not have to pay and I would not pay for a vehicle until I can touch the vehicle. Tesla's practice of taking their customer's money and then re-selling it a second time at the end of the quarter has been documented before. Had I done more research and known about this before, I would have taken extra precaution

they told me weeks ago they would get my money returned... nothing since (probably about the same as you 3 weeks or so. I looked into options aside from tesla but nothing that isn't a 6-18month wait so ill probably take the car when it comes in or just cancel and ask for my money again. Sounds bad but I appreciate that you shared your issues makes me feel like im not being targeted just bad luck.

I also had the same experience with Tesla. Received a VIN number on June 21 and a delivery date for June 26. Received a text on June 26 that my car has arrived from the Fremont factory to the Vallejo, CA dealership. Reschedule for June 30. Received an email from Tesla on July 5th "We have been informed that the vin that was assigned to your order was not produced and we have prioritized you order getting matched to new vin." WTH! My credit union has already sent Tesla the money. Now my EDD 7/23 - 8/6. I ordered my Tesla on September 2021(White exterior, black interior, 5 seats and stock wheels). Hopefully I can get the car by the end of this month or early next month.

Reactions: JDEWD250
I also had the same experience with Tesla. Received a VIN number on June 21 and a delivery date for June 26. Received a text on June 26 that my car has arrived from the Fremont factory to the Vallejo, CA dealership. Reschedule for June 30. Received an email from Tesla on July 5th "We have been informed that the vin that was assigned to your order was not produced and we have prioritized you order getting matched to new vin." WTH! My credit union has already sent Tesla the money. Now my EDD 7/23 - 8/6. I ordered my Tesla on September 2021(White exterior, black interior, 5 seats and stock wheels). Hopefully I can get the car by the end of this month or early next month.
*I meant have NOT arrived from the Fremont factory to the Vallejo, CA dealership location.

Reactions: JDEWD250
I got a call from Tesla stating they were looking at my account and saw that my car was headed to Puerto Rico instead of their location. My EDD was pushed to 8/6 to 8/10 this morning but figured it was delayed due to weather. Will see how long it takes me to get a new Vin as they stated that once a car arrives at the destination it stays there.

I finally picked up the vehicle today. There's not much to complain about from a quality control standpoint. I did end up with Michelin tires even with a Florida delivery. Best of luck to everyone and please do not pay ahead of time. The local Tesla reps will tell you the same but the ones you talk to over the phone from California may try to sway you into paying upfront.

I’m picking up at Vallejo as well, whenever it comes in. I have stopped by there a couple of times just to check things out and talk to the people.

My SA assigned to me is in Walnut Creek and completely useless.

Agree, why would you pay more than the $250 order fee until you are physically standing by the vehicle? That's how I purchased y first Y back in 2020 and how I'll take delivery of our second Y in a few weeks.

Sometimes we have to be the adult in the room.

I'm sure this has been touched on in the past, but I did want to post my personal experience. I was hoping things would have improved since we picked up a 2020 Model X, but they haven't. If anything, customer service has gotten worse. Buckle up, this may get a little ranty...

Got to the dealership on delivery day. After checking in with the front desk, they kindly showed me a map of the dealer lot and told me my car is parked out back, find it, sign the paper and bring it back, and off I can go. The first time I've ever had a dealer make me go fetch my own car.

No one offered to walk my father through his new car. We had to ask for a tour of the features. I'm quite tech savvy but there was still new things I learned on this walkthrough.

Upon inspection (because this is not my first rodeo), I found multiple QC issues including misaligned panels (front bumper, fenders, rear driver door, front passenger fender wheel well trim, and rear hatch, rear tailights also don't line up) and a vibration felt as soon as we left the dealership.

I brought these concerns up to the front desk and they said you can take delivery of the car now and we'll fix it later, or we'll give you the next car when one comes in that meets your specs. No option to fix the car on the spot or address my concerns, what a broken policy.

I then made an appointment with a different dealer that had the earliest availability and they told me a loaner wouldn't be given because the work probably wouldn't take more than an hour. They offered an Uber back, not very helpful. After complaining, because I obviously knew it would be longer than an hour, they did give me a loaner. A very beat M3P wth almost 45k miles. I'm sure this car has had a tough life. Speed limited to 85, and I'm pretty sure they downgraded the speed to just long range specs, the car doesn't feel as peppy as it should. Wasn't even charged. Someone had smoked in this car at some point too.

Onto the actual car we bought, a MY LR, overall it's ok. I'm honestly shocked at how stiff the ride is. You feel a lot of the bumps and undulations on the road. For 50k+, I expected much better. It honestly reminds me a lot of my 2017 Bolt, which is just an econobox. Maybe we'll grow to love it, but it's off to a rough start.

Last edited: