Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Terrible experience as first time tesla buyer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my model x 100d on the day 8.1 was released. All the driver assistance functions stopped working after I updated to 8.1. I like OTA because tesla did something other manufacturers can't do or won't do. But one of the disadvantages about OTA is we are basically all beta testers. So I am not mad that my autopilot is not working after 8.1 or it is taking so long for them to fix the issue. What made me mad is they locked my car to 85mph top speed without telling me anything about it. Today I almost had an accident when I was trying to pass someone on the freeway. A Civic was driving 65 on the carpool and speed up to 75+ when I tried to pass him. I barely made it because my car stoped accelerating after 85. (most of people in socal are driving 80mph on freeway). I called service and they told me all the loaners and inventory cars are speed locked to 85mph and they forgot to unlocked the speed limit after the car was delivered to me. Also I found a lot of people are saying tesla did not disclosure the speed limit when they got their loaner cars. I can't believe they are so irresponsible and careless.

I call total bs. First, what a ridiculous mis leading title and secondly, I've driven all over Florida(and all the states up the east coast) and never "needed" to go over 85(never mind on my first trip)Troll alert.

• Disagree
Reactions: Blastphemy
"A Civic was driving 65 on the carpool and speed up to 75+ when I tried to pass him. I barely made it because my car stoped accelerating after 85. (most of people in socal are driving 80mph on freeway)" understand the situation here. I don't usually drive fast that's why I just found out the top speed was 85 yesterday and I already have the car for 2 weeks. Anyone with little driving experience will know set a limit at 85 without letting you know is more dangerous than driving at 85 to overtake someone (especially for tesla because it accelerates so fast so you would expect to overtake quickly but not when your top speed is limited to 85) if I purely focus on EV I should go for a bolt instead.
So, slow down and get behind the Civic, what's so "terrible", "irresponsible" and "careless". I'm not saying Tesla did not make mistake by not unlocking the speed limit, what I'm saying that you're blowing issue out of proportion.

So, slow down and get behind the Civic, what's so "terrible", "irresponsible" and "careless". I'm not saying Tesla did not make mistake by not unlocking the speed limit, what I'm saying that you're blowing issue out of proportion.
The traffic speed is 80mph. The 65 mph civic should not take carpool at first place. And this is nothing wrong to overtake a 65mph car when traffic speed is 80mph. You should buy a leaf rather than tesla, you can enjoy 65mph every time on the freeway in the carpool and block as many people as you want.

I find this thread humorous due to the outrageousness of the claim that not being able to exceed 85 is a safety issue.

- If traffic is moving at 80 there are likely multiple lanes. Use them.
- Having learned to drive on the East Coast and having lived in 5 major metropolitan areas (including LA) I've never needed to go 85+ to be "safe."
- If you, as a driver, "needs" to make such a maneuver it is on you to ensure your equipment is ready to make such a maneuver. Can your car accelerate that fast? Are your tires in good shape? Did you forget to take your car out of valet mode and it is going to stop at 85? Not only are you responsible to know all this when making the move it is that much more important to know that when in a loaner or a new car. If I were going to make this move and I've never exceeded 85 in the car I'm in you can be sure I'm going to think twice before trying it at that moment without having tested my equipment.

I'm trying to imagine the court case: "Your honor...I know the speed limit was 65 but, but, but...everyone ELSE was going 80 and Tesla made it so my car wouldn't exceed 85...it's everyone else's fault I caused the accident."

The 65 mph civic should not take carpool at first place
Why dont you complain to Honda forum and tell them of the horrible and horrendous suffering they made you to endure.

And this is nothing wrong to overtake a 65mph car when traffic speed is 80mph
I dont think anyone said it was wrong; what I said in particular was that you're being a drama queen over exaggerating and over dramatizing a minor issue.

You should buy a leaf rather than tesla, you can enjoy 65mph every time on the freeway in the carpool and block as many people as you want.
Nah, I'm good with my X, thank you. I'm kind of puzzled with your assumptions, but be it as it may. Good luck.

If I were going to make this move and I've never exceeded 85 in the car I'm in you can be sure I'm going to think twice before trying it at that moment without having tested my equipment.

I have to disagree with you based on my personal experience. When you are trying to overtake a slower longer vehicle, your instinct is to accelerate not go at a constant speed and you will be unpleasantly surprised that your loaner is not going faster.

You are only driving the loaner for a few days. Maybe we are supposed to never overtake another vehicle when in a loaner or an underpowered rental.

Last edited:
Okay... they forgot to unlock that software restriction and they removed it after you called them. What's the big deal?

I am not sure I would put myself in a situation that I will end up in an accident if I don't speed above 85.

Yup, I agree. Let me see if I got this right. OP is angry that Tesla prevented him from driving at a speed at least 15-20 mph above the legal limit in SoCal? Maybe thank Tesla for saving your life and those of others by not allowing you to go 90 plus.

"Anyone with little driving experience will know set a limit at 85 without letting you know is more dangerous than driving at 85 to overtake someone.

Ok, I am a person with a LITTLE driving experience and I don't agree. In fact, I have driven over 700,000 miles in my lifetime and never caused an accident. Perhaps it is because I am not in such a hurry that I tempt fate by driving at a speed where I know I will not survive an accident. You might be comfortable, but as you pointed out (driver sped up), you never know what other drivers are going to do, or what may happen on the freeway. It's a person like you that almost killed my son a couple years ago.

Reactions: KrenGrl
I almost had an accident because they locked my top speed to 85mph without telling me anything before. What is your tolerance when someone put your life in danger.

I'm with you. Most days I need to bust a buck to save my life as well.
I need to jump from the overpass to the onramp 20 feet below, and if I don't keep it steady at 103 mph, I either fall short and slam into the guardrail, or fly completely over it and land in a grocery store.

Last edited:
TMC is great for Tesla info, talk, rumor etc........... and plenty of complaints. But this one takes the cake! Tesla is the evil corp. that only cares about their bottom line , so they limited this poor souls Tesla to 85 mph. Do I have this right? Sorry Joe Z but sympathy here will be in very short supply. You will be added to the many complainers with less than 10 posts who hit and run. It's a list that gets longer every time a publication runs a story from a TMC owner complaint.