Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Terrible experience as first time tesla buyer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I call total bs. First, what a ridiculous mis leading title and secondly, I've driven all over Florida(and all the states up the east coast) and never "needed" to go over 85(never mind on my first trip)Troll alert.

I drove my inventory car for 4 months until I discovered it was speed limited... So the need to go 85mph certainly isn't a prerequisite (at least anywhere in the DMV area).

My first ride with a Tesla put such a big smile on my face that it lasted +/- 48 hours. That was an absolutely terrible experience, because your face muscles are not meant to stay in that position for two days! Also, it somewhat inhibits speech!

I feel very sorry for the OP that he apparently did not have the same feeling, but rather thought the experience of the 85 mph speed limit was the one sole thing he would remember from his first ride (and that that was so absolutely terribly frustrating that starting a thread on the subject was necessary).

O yes Tesla service does things wrong sometimes, but not having appreciated, overall, that first ride with a new Tesla is really a pity, and probably very uncommon.

May I therefore please warn all other 'first time Tesla buyers': the above mentioned 48-hour big smile on your face is much more likely - and that impossible-to-mask 48-hour smile can be somewhat disconcerting, e.g. when you're negotiating a deal, or discussing a raise with your boss!

But even if you cannot suppress that 48-hour smile and that somehow gets you into trouble - please do not start a thread on the subject. We've all been there (except the OP, unfortunately) .

I drove my inventory car for 4 months until I discovered it was speed limited... So the need to go 85mph certainly isn't a prerequisite (at least anywhere in the DMV area).
Preach, fellow DMV brother.... if they really want to call it 'valet' mode, it should be 55 mph. But, yeah, it perhaps could use a 'don't even try to speed' notice.

Common guys, 85mph is plenty. Come to speak of it, I am driving a loaner right now and I don't even know if it is locked to 85mph because I never even tried to get up to that speed. Even if it is, I would not be fussed too much. If this is my real car, then I would want to get it removed asap just so I would feel better, but would not loose sleep over it as long as it gets unlocked promptly. I could probably count on one hand the number of times I exceed 85mph in a year.

Agreed that there should be a notification though.

I can't believe you folks are keeping this thread alive. I am a thinking judger for those who are familiar with myers-briggs personality type. IMO, this is complete overkill to the extreme. I know this is probably a huge problem for you feeler perceivers out there, but come on. This was flat out an error/mistake by Tesla service and they have acknowledged the mistake. And, they fixed it promptly. Since this is a condition that should never happen as a Tesla is purchased, there is no need for an indication. That is like saying that there should be an indicator saying service forgot to tighten the lug nuts on your wheel with the risk of the wheel falling off. Is it a clear concern to safety, absolutely. But, it is not a condition that should ever surface to the buyer if tesla didn't make the mistake. From a loaner perspective, they verbally warn of the limiter and if missed their, it is in the loaner paperwork that you sign. At least it has always been on mine. That is your indicator for that scenario. Can we move on please! I understand feelings were hurt here and you want to be heard. But, I say this forum is not the place for it.

Your insurance company would be thankful to hear this. Unfortunately there are countless scenarios that require drivers to exceed 85 MPH. Get on I-95 anywhere in the S. Florida area and you'll understand when you're in the middle of vehicles traveling between 50 and 100+. You can stay behind the guy doing 50 in a 55 and be safe, up until the guy doing 100 comes up from your rear.​

Can't recall a single instance where i thought a vehicle on I-95 was going 100+. In Dade the speed limit is 55-60mph on I-95. With the amount of traffic, it's near impossible to get up to speeds of 100+.

That said, your example doesn't make sense to me. You're following the vehicle in front of you and you're both going 50mph. But now that some jagoff comes up behind you, you're going to do what? What good would driving over 85mph do you? You've already said you have a vehicle in front of you. If there's a lane open next to you, that's where the jagoff will go. I don't see how this is a situation that requires one to need to drive above 85mph.

I can't believe you folks are keeping this thread alive.

What do you mean, "you folks"? < movie reference. :)

But really, it's got to be a little more believable for you when yours was the second-to-last post in this thread - at least at this moment (not anymore). ;). There's still a good chance others will chime in and explain why OP's "terrible" does not match their own ideas of terrible. :)

And if you haven't seen at least a motorcycle or two exceeding 100 MPH on 95 in the Fort Lauderdale area, I would be a bit shocked. There's a reason they say, "I survived I-95."

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: rush6410
Many roads around here have 75-80mph speed limits and flow of traffic above 85mph. On one of them, we have to sit in the right lane and watch frustrated cars constantly pass (aggressively, sometimes) any time we have a loaner.

Your experience is not universal and neither should the limit be. It should be speed limit +15.

Common guys, 85mph is plenty. Come to speak of it, I am driving a loaner right now and I don't even know if it is locked to 85mph because I never even tried to get up to that speed. Even if it is, I would not be fussed too much. If this is my real car, then I would want to get it removed asap just so I would feel better, but would not loose sleep over it as long as it gets unlocked promptly. I could probably count on one hand the number of times I exceed 85mph in a year.

Agreed that there should be a notification though.

Can't recall a single instance where i thought a vehicle on I-95 was going 100+. In Dade the speed limit is 55-60mph on I-95. With the amount of traffic, it's near impossible to get up to speeds of 100+.

That said, your example doesn't make sense to me. You're following the vehicle in front of you and you're both going 50mph. But now that some jagoff comes up behind you, you're going to do what? What good would driving over 85mph do you? You've already said you have a vehicle in front of you. If there's a lane open next to you, that's where the jagoff will go. I don't see how this is a situation that requires one to need to drive above 85mph.

Not true. It was (is?) routine for many Miami cops to drive deep into the triple digits while off-duty. They are above the law.

Remember this case? 'State Trooper named Donna Watts pulled a Miami police officer driving 120 mph on I-95'

This Miami cop would drive 120mph+ on his way to work each morning. FHP was ordered not to chase if he refuses to pull over due to his dangerous speeds and poor driving skills.

Then he met FHP officer Donna Watts. She proved she had bigger balls than the weasel and traitor Miami Officer Fausto Lopez who finally gave up after several miles after realizing his patrol car could not outrun the FHP cars.

But that did not stop 100+ Miami cops from acting like the criminals that are. They illegally gathered her private information and terrorized her.

Trooper who pulled over speeding cop loses privacy lawsuit against Miami officers

Even so, many hyper-speeding Miami LEOs were busted after the Lopez The Weasel was. The Chief of Police of Miami just gave them a wink and a nod and basically said to the press, "Miami LEOs only answer to me, and no other law enforcement agencies. If you don't like it, go **** yourself."

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby
What do you mean, "you folks"? < movie reference. :)

But really, it's got to be a little more believable for you when yours was the second-to-last post in this thread - at least at this moment. ;). There's still a good chance others will chime in and explain why OP's "terrible" does not match their own ideas of terrible. :)

Edit: I stand corrected. alseTrick was able to provide another comment before I could finish writing this one. And if you haven't seen at least a motorcycle or two exceeding a hundred miles an hour on 95 in the Fort Lauderdale area, then you must not drive on that road very often.
I was going to type "y'all"...y'now beeing from Texas and all. ...but would have lost most of "you guys" :)

I was in a construction zone yesterday in AP (2 BTW) and my X touched a line. THE HORROR! ;)

Not true. It was (is?) routine for many Miami cops to drive deep into the triple digits while off-duty. They are above the law.

Remember this case? 'State Trooper named Donna Watts pulled a Miami police officer driving 120 mph on I-95'

This Miami cop would drive 120mph+ on his way to work each morning. FHP was ordered not to chase if he refuses to pull over due to his dangerous speeds and poor driving skills.

Then he met FHP officer Donna Watts. She proved she had bigger balls than the weasel and traitor Miami Officer Fausto Lopez who finally gave up after several miles after realizing his patrol car could not outrun the FHP cars.

But that did not stop 100+ Miami cops from acting like the criminals that are. They illegally gathered her private information and terrorized her.

Trooper who pulled over speeding cop loses privacy lawsuit against Miami officers

Even so, many hyper-speeding Miami LEOs were busted after the Lopez The Weasel was. The Chief of Police of Miami just gave them a wink and a nod and basically said to the press, "Miami LEOs only answer to me, and no other law enforcement agencies. If you don't like it, go **** yourself."

A few hundred drivers out of over 2.7 million residents in Dade county? Pfft.

It is pretty damn hard to drive that fast on I-95 and most other Dade highways; too much traffic and too many accidents most of the time.

And regardless, you didn't explain how the other commenter needed to drive in excess of 85mph in that given scenario.