Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Terrible experience at Indianapolis Tesla on delivery

Am i being to picky?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys ,

I want to see if this is common place as it was a over the top bad experience. I will summarize events.

Ordered a new Model S 3/27/18
Adviser Harmony phoned and was excellent and courteous , she was able to locate a 100D with low miles in excellent shape and a fair discount for the 2660 miles on the odo. Sent photos , car looked good.

Went to take delivery 3/31/18 , this is the first time actually seeing the car , some minor issues were noticed and brought up, this is where things take a bad turn.

Drivers window seal is deformed and sliding up , looks like someone slim jimed the car , i was told this was a used car and its to be expected. I made a point to stress the car is being sold as NEW , --- 2600 miles is not acceptable for its condition. Delivery advisor Julia told me service could get a razor blade and trim the protruding rubber/felt , this was completely unacceptable as i looked at other model s cars and none had this issue , after much back and forth and arguing the service manager agreed to send a ranger with a replacement seal. This set a terrible mood and i started to question the car and its condition , i asked to test drive the car before signing the delivery docs , i figured this should not be a issue as the car was used a service loaner , i was denied , i then asked to test drive a 100D test drive car , i was told none are available. At this point i was really agitated and about to walk out and request the ACH transfer be cancelled as this was a cash paid car in full. Julia then got combative and shoved paperwork in my face that i could not cancel as i signed the purchase agreement , as i point out the car was not as described and i have not accepted delivery i certainly can. Suddenly a test drive car was made available.

The overall vibe from the place was just rushing people out and poor quality of work. The car was supposedly detailed yet there are swirl marks everywhere , i was told this is normal for obsidian black , then i had the used car line thrown at me yet again. It appears a quick buff was done possibly with a dirty / grit coated wheel as there are several fairly deep swirls and lines that concern me. all the seals were covered in wax dust , no attention to detail , upper cup holders full of crud , power bill and other personal papers found in center console from prev user of the car! .

Julia's main concern was getting me to sign papers and get out ASAP, she put ZERO towards trying to please whatsoever.

I am deeply worried at this point about future issues and how things will go as how i was treated taking delivery of a $110K car. It was an awful experience

Here are the issues noted and asked for adjustment / repair / replacement.

Drivers door window felt/rubber seal mangled. - Promised ranger will replace.
Driver side rear wheel running board trim gap exposed - Ranger will adjust clips.
Gouge in A pillar suede - they have no record of this now , awaiting response.
Moisture collecting in rear passenger body side tail light - going back and forth , wont promise to replace - telling me some is allowable , pending?
Professional 3rd party detail as the car was done extremely poor and full of swirls. - Pending answer.

I have attached some pics of the problems for you guys.

Attachments

• 2018-04-02 11.48.21.jpg
    2018-04-02 11.48.21.jpg
    392 KB · Views: 472
  • 2018-04-02 13.39.20.jpg
    2018-04-02 13.39.20.jpg
    583.2 KB · Views: 434
  • 2018-04-02 12.08.48.jpg
    2018-04-02 12.08.48.jpg
    554.9 KB · Views: 445
  • 2018-04-02 13.38.59.jpg
    2018-04-02 13.38.59.jpg
    359.9 KB · Views: 423
  • 2018-04-02 13.38.21.jpg
    2018-04-02 13.38.21.jpg
    565.3 KB · Views: 412
  • 2018-04-02 13.38.17.jpg
    2018-04-02 13.38.17.jpg
    561.6 KB · Views: 417
  • 2018-04-02 13.38.44.jpg
    2018-04-02 13.38.44.jpg
    804.4 KB · Views: 423
Hi guys ,

I want to see if this is common place as it was a over the top bad experience. I will summarize events.

Adviser Harmony phoned and was excellent and courteous , she was able to locate a 100D with low miles in excellent shape and a fair discount for the 2660 miles on the odo. Sent photos , car looked good.

Went to take delivery 3/31/18 , this is the first time actually seeing the car , some minor issues were noticed and brought up, this is where things take a bad turn.

Drivers window seal is deformed and sliding up , looks like someone slim jimed the car , i was told this was a used car and its to be expected. I made a point to stress the car is being sold as NEW , --- 2600 miles is not acceptable for its condition. Delivery advisor Julia told me service could get a razor blade and trim the protruding rubber/felt , this was completely unacceptable as i looked at other model s cars and none had this issue , after much back and forth and arguing the service manager agreed to send a ranger with a replacement seal. This set a terrible mood and i started to question the car and its condition , i asked to test drive the car before signing the delivery docs , i figured this should not be a issue as the car was used a service loaner , i was denied , i then asked to test drive a 100D test drive car , i was told none are available. At this point i was really agitated and about to walk out and request the ACH transfer be cancelled as this was a cash paid car in full. Julia then got combative and shoved paperwork in my face that i could not cancel as i signed the purchase agreement , as i point out the car was not as described and i have not accepted delivery i certainly can. Suddenly a test drive car was made available.

The overall vibe from the place was just rushing people out and poor quality of work. The car was supposedly detailed yet there are swirl marks everywhere , i was told this is normal for obsidian black , then i had the used car line thrown at me yet again. It appears a quick buff was done possibly with a dirty / grit coated wheel as there are several fairly deep swirls and lines that concern me. all the seals were covered in wax dust , no attention to detail , upper cup holders full of crud , power bill and other personal papers found in center console from prev user of the car! .

Julia's main concern was getting me to sign papers and get out ASAP, she put ZERO towards trying to please whatsoever.

I am deeply worried at this point about future issues and how things will go as how i was treated taking delivery of a $110K car. It was an awful experience

Driver side rear wheel running board trim gap exposed - Ranger will adjust clips.
Moisture collecting in rear passenger body side tail light - going back and forth , wont promise to replace - telling me some is allowable , pending?
Professional 3rd party detail as the car was done extremely poor and full of swirls. - Pending answer.

This has become all too common.

All they want is your money and then...Don't worry, they'll take care of you.
When was the last time when you spent that kind of money and got that type of treatment?

I like the car but not too the point of being fanatically blind like others.
We bought a 2014 CPO last November and that'd be the last Tesla we'd ever bought due to their lack of QC and CS.

Good luck in your experience.

• Funny
Reactions: xborg and jeffro01
This has become all too common.

All they want is your money and then...Don't worry, they'll take care of you.
When was the last time when you spent that kind of money and got that type of treatment?

I like the car but not too the point of being fanatically blind like others.
We bought a 2014 CPO last November and that'd be the last Tesla we'd ever bought due to their lack of QC and CS.

Good luck in your experience.
Its unreal , that's the best description i have for it.

Sorry to hear about that.....That would be totally unacceptable in any dealership even if you were buying a $20k car! I've had some issues with my CPO MS but for the most part, they've been pretty good about taking care of everything that ive requested. Granted, ive been driving a MS loaner for 16 days now, but i can see the light at the end of the tunnel.....Honestly, i wouldn't have taken delivery of the car until they fixed every issue on your list.

You will not be dealing with her anymore, since any future issues will be taken care of at the SC, but i would seriously write a letter to corporate or at the very least, file a complaint with her superior. Totally uncalled for.

Reactions: Shawn Snider
If their policy is that inventory cars are offered with all sorts of scratches, blemishes, and other issues, that they refuse to fix, the least they should do is allow you to thoroughly inspect the car in advance, including a test drive, if you so decide. Seems outrageous to deny your request for a test drive when we all know that car was driven hard by anyone who would walk in asking for a test drive!

Inventory cars should be offered for sale in almost like new condition. At least I'm sure that's the expectation for anyone who buys one. If a car is in such bad shape, they should either recondition or auction it. Treating customers like this by offering a car in this condition is really beneath the brand -- or should be!

After ordering a MS online back in early March, I had a chance to actually go to Tesla and see them in person. My delivery rep offered a inventory 100d with about the same options, but only $1,000 off the price I paid, then he found a similar model in a different color that was a loaner for about $2,500 off and I declined and he kinda joked like yea, I wouldnt either since it was a loaner..

It sounds like Harmony should seek employment elsewhere, Sorry to hear you had such a shitty experience, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it was the people you dealt with. Every Tesla store I've been to the staff have been BEYOND gracious and amazing, I truly hope you visit another Service Center and see the staff.
Definitely escalate this! Absolutely unacceptable!

Reactions: M|S|M MYP
@crunchtime2k - I suspect if you were to have taken delivery today, instead of the very last day of the quarter, you would not have been so rushed. Still not an excuse, but I don't think your experience yesterday will be your experience going forward. The last day of the quarter is always a little packed, with all hands on deck. I'd go back over in person later this week (a few will have a few days off because of the extended weekend of work) and talk with them when it's a little more relaxed.

It sounds like some issues that you had have been noted & will be taken care of. As noted by others, black on any car is really a pain. It shows every spec of dust, etc. And this is a CPO.

For those dissing Harmony, perhaps you should reread the original post.

Reactions: dogldogl
Sorry to hear about your bad experience
180 experience for me on a 2014 CPO car, slight scuff marks on the roof and they quickly ordered a part, had the moisture in the taillights and chrome molding needed aligning so they gave me an almost new 100D while getting the warranty work done. I asked to have tires rotated and said I knew it wasn't free but they comped it along with installing a center console I purchased here on TMC, zero charge. The Tempe Service Center has gone above and beyond for me. Recently they swapped out my 19's for 21's I purchased here on TMC, he handed me the key and said all set, I mentioned I have to go pay,, No charge again. Wow I can't say enough good things about the Tempe SC.

Reactions: Electricious
@crunchtime2k - I suspect if you were to have taken delivery today, instead of the very last day of the quarter, you would not have been so rushed. Still not an excuse, but I don't think your experience yesterday will be your experience going forward. The last day of the quarter is always a little packed, with all hands on deck. I'd go back over in person later this week (a few will have a few days off because of the extended weekend of work) and talk with them when it's a little more relaxed.

It sounds like some issues that you had have been noted & will be taken care of. As noted by others, black on any car is really a pain. It shows every spec of dust, etc. And this is a CPO.

For those dissing Harmony, perhaps you should reread the original post.

It is not a CPO.

It is not a CPO.
No, but inventory cars used a service loaners should not be thought of as “new” even though technically they may be titled that way. There’s a reason they are sold at less than the price of a new one. There is a trade off in buying an inventory car for a discount, and it’s up to each potential buyer to decide if it’s worth it.

It sounds like Harmony should seek employment elsewhere, Sorry to hear you had such a shitty experience, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it was the people you dealt with. Every Tesla store I've been to the staff have been BEYOND gracious and amazing, I truly hope you visit another Service Center and see the staff.
Definitely escalate this! Absolutely unacceptable!
Harmony has been fantastic and a true help. My issue is with Julia and the rest of the crew at the Indianapolis location. Harmony gets a solid 10/10 all around from me.

Hi guys ,

Hi guys ,

This is Tesla. What do you expect. Their newly arrived cars are also filled with defects. They are rushing it out so they can meet the quotas to make their monthly sales report look great.

Good luck with a car accident.. It will take a half year to have your car repaired.

2600 miles is used. Sold as "new" simply means that it hasn't been titled, which means you get the $7500 tax credit. New in this case does not mean brand new condition. I thought about buying an inventory demo/loaner myself, but decided not to for these reasons. To me I wanted something brand new, not used for a couple thousand miles. The savings wasn't enough to justify buying a used car like that.

If I was buying this car I'd ask them to fix the tail light, the rubber trim, and the door gap. For swirls and scratches, those are wear and tear items on a 2600 mile car and I'd be taking it someplace myself to do paint correction on my dime. (paint correction is not the same as detailing) Tesla shops do detailing on cars to be delivered, they don't generally do paint correction unless it was something that arrived scratched brand new from the factory. I would not expect any 2600 mile used car to come with paint correction already done.

Then after I got paint correction done I'd have it xpel wrapped. Makes the car look brand new years from now.