Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Terrible experience buying CPO car in Massachusetts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anybody bought a CPO car in Massachusetts? I'm on my second attempt to buy a car and it seems issue after issue and now were stuck on the title. The updates are vague and seemingly endless. I have a loan that I will have to start paying for soon and I am concerned that I still won't have the car.

So when we bought our Used Model S from Tesla in July, we didn't get the title for over 2 months, The issue is that these cars for the most part are lease returns, and the lease holder is a bank, The bank has a slow process to turn over the title, So while Tesla is selling the car, they are actually selling it for the bank. Sounds strange, but it's really not all Tesla's fault, Tesla did make it right for us, they extended our temp tag and it all worked out.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: neroden and NoirMS
Yeah, the issue is in Mass the title needs to be present at the point of sale, so looks like I need to wait. I know that's not Tesla's fault, but they don't do a good job of setting expectations. If it's going to take a month, just say so don't string people along. Everyone I've talked to has been very nice, it's just that they haven't delivered.

Yeah, the issue is in Mass the title needs to be present at the point of sale, so looks like I need to wait. I know that's not Tesla's fault, but they don't do a good job of setting expectations. If it's going to take a month, just say so don't string people along. Everyone I've talked to has been very nice, it's just that they haven't delivered.

It is Tesla’s fault. Do you think no other car dealer in MA sells lease returns?!

I have never had to wait for a title on a CPO from any manufacturer other than Tesla.

When I was shopping in MA, there was one CPO advisor at the time and communication was spotty at best.

It continues to get worse. Had a delivery appointment for today. Got a call confirming the appointment on Thursday. Follow ups to my insurance agent showed that Tesla hadn't completed the registration paperwork. Called to Dedham delivery center and they said there was a problem with the title. It wasn't in Dedham. So many issues here. Why do they confirm the appointment if they don't have their end all set. Were they going to let me show up and then turn me away? Shows lack of respect for the customer along with terrible processes. I think Telsa will fail once the other car companies start producing electric cars. They just have Tesla beat on sales and delivery speed.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
In California, dealers always put a temporary registration on my windshield regardless if it's paid outright or financed. The dealer submits the registration info to the DMV for me.
The permanent registration, plates and title usually come 3 weeks later.

I'm sitting at 2 weeks since I picked up my car, no word on plates or registration. No one from the delivery center or my sales adviser will answer my e-mails or calls to even verify that the information necessary has been submitted.
Tried executive escalation? It usually fails, but it's a good start.

Also, tweet at Musk. It can't hurt.

Just as a data point, for whatever it is worth -- I bought my car from US Bank at the end of the lease. It was 3 full weeks from the day I mailed them the check to the day i received the title. Maybe they work faster when Tesla is selling the car for them, but maybe not. (and to top it off, the transaction ws done with an error, which cost me an additional week before I could transfer the title. That glitch was specific to my retail purchase, but the Registry of Motor Vehicles fellow who processed my title and registration said that they have had a number of case where US Bank made errors in the paperwork. And US Bank has certainly done tons of these, so errors should be rare...

Can we somehow just all tweet at Musk? I tried but since my tweet didn’t get any likes, it’s probably not going to be seen. Maybe if we would all just like the same tweet to get it to some trending status, he would see it?

You should not need to have to tweet the CEO of the company to get service...

I hope they at least realize how broken their CPO operation is and how harmful the status quo is for the reputation of the company...

It continues to get worse. Had a delivery appointment for today. Got a call confirming the appointment on Thursday. Follow ups to my insurance agent showed that Tesla hadn't completed the registration paperwork. Called to Dedham delivery center and they said there was a problem with the title. It wasn't in Dedham. So many issues here. Why do they confirm the appointment if they don't have their end all set. Were they going to let me show up and then turn me away? Shows lack of respect for the customer along with terrible processes. I think Telsa will fail once the other car companies start producing electric cars. They just have Tesla beat on sales and delivery speed.
Rich rebuilds is this you? hahaha

You should not need to have to tweet the CEO of the company to get service...

I hope they at least realize how broken their CPO operation is and how harmful the status quo is for the reputation of the company...
I tweeted Elon, haven't heard back yet, but at least it's out there. I actually got the car after some more delivery confusion. I went through a lot of issue getting it, BUT it's AWESOME. Everything I was hoping for in a Tesla: fun to drive, head turner. It's the future for sure.

I talked to a designer (I think helped with the windshield on the 3) who was helping with deliveries about the buying process. He said Elon knows it's broken and is working to fix it. Next year cars will likely be delivered to your home instead of you coming to the delivery center. That's the goal at least.

Hang in there with the delivery challenges, Tesla will eventually get it right.