Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Terrible Sat Nav Routing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased a Tesla Y Long in December '22 and whilst driving the car consistently routes down single track roads, some without passing places, when routing the car. Navigations such as TomTom allow you to deselect unpaved roads unless no other route. There is nothing worse than meeting fuel tanker down some farm, or country road when you have to reverse 200-800yards to a farm gate or opening and hope that the ground in any suitably sized passing place, if any, is sound, as the verges generally are not with very deep unforgiving ditches just off the road edge.

Surely, with the NAV, Tesla must have some influence with Google to have this added, either that or allow the TomTom Go app to be installed or Android Auto, so that we can rely on the navigation. I am sure its OK in countries with most roads being large enough for 2 cars to pass never mind a truck, bus, or van however in SW Scotland there are a number of very minor roads everywhere, whilst they mostly have Asphalt surfaces they very often have grass growing in the middle which brushes the underside, and barely the width of the car! Bearing in Mind a model Y has reasonable ground clearance and the grass often brushes the underside but its not a cyber truck or pickup I am driving.

Whilst it may sound quaint and picturesque, we are very fortunate in our scenery here, however when you are trying to get somewhere, out your region or local area, it gives no confidence in the fact that the car may supply you routing which is unsuitable for the less adventurous driver (you need to be able to reverse long distances comfortably sometimes round corners) to get there, owing to the roads it suggests being totally unsuitable for vehicles of any significant size, or with limited ground clearances. On a recent trip it ended up taking me a very minor road that only had asphalt at the corners, and compacted dirt track on the straights. There was a main road alternative, which I discovered after talking with a local person which I used on the return journey which was 2 only miles longer!

The local found it amusing and laughed and said 'That's Google maps for you!, Look on the bright side your not driving a camper van or pulling a caravan, and you speak English and you realise the locals generally wont reverse as they are so fed up with tourists blocking their roads"

Come on Tesla, or Google, we don't all live in USA with straight roads linking everywhere!

Give us Android auto then we can use our own TomTom Go apps it annoys me spending all that money and having to put an aftermarket NAV on my window all the time.

Tesla uses a 3rd party product called Vallhalla from a company called Mapbox for navigation routing. It makes some pretty rough routing decisions, even on normal roads. But yeah, I have not seen an option to avoid country roads.

Tesla's navigation is a distant fourth place behind Google, Waze, and Apple Maps. But it is vastly better than any other car's built-in system. I wish they would enable CarPlan/Andriod Auto so folks like me could use their favorite navigation.

Well aren't you fancy, getting the correct destination in your Nav. The other day it tried to send me to some random address literally 10 miles away from the correct one, and that's in the States with well paved straight roads. It's really 4th rate, all around.

The craziest part was I sent the correct location to the car through Google Maps, and it moved it for some reason. At least it was consistent, it always moved it to the same place, having tried it several
times since I was super confused about it.

I often have a passenger check a route on Google Maps if it's an unfamiliar trip.

US user here and navigation routing is not always the greatest. I live in California/Nevada region and have had instances where it routes you through some non-optimized paths. If we are headed somewhere new and my wife is with me, she will now do a double check of the route on her Apple Maps app on phone before we fully trust the car.

So even in the US, its not always the greatest.

Its pretty shyte mate, I feel your pain. I was also taken on a seriously long roundabout adventure last weekend because, against my better judgement, I did not cross check the route.

I resolved after also driving through a 'picturesque country setting' an extra hour even though there were perfectly serviceable highways nearby to not let the car decide anymore. I will route in Google Maps or Waze (or in your case Tom-Tom) on my phone and if the Nav from Tesla doesn't comport with the other version I will simply use the phone version. Do I like this? Not even a little, but there are many things about the Tesla UX I find baffling, this is just another one.

One thing that does seem helpful to keep you on a highway is to disable the "save X amount of time" rerouting in the Autopilot settings. If you max that time I'm guessing the amount of strange off-highway routes would be minimized. Haven't been able to test this theory yet. Maybe someone who's had the same frustration and tried it will chime in here to confirm/deny.

Bump for this thread (and kudos for the thread suggestion feature as I had started to create a new thread on this topic).

I‘ve wondered about that save X time setting and tried bumping it up a bit but so far haven’t prevented the car once again going rallying around off the beaten track.

Any other tips for achieving the “simpler drive” route?!