Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesa Semi GVWR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The first question confirmed that it is unknown.

Q: @greentheonly so can we be pretty sure that 22,135 kg weight is the official weight of the 500 mile semi?
A: no. for all I know the label is just stubbed out.
fg26Z3s.jpg

He said further down that he pulled the images from the EPC, and his posted images certainly look like they are from the EPC. But when I log into the EPC I don't get the semi as an option, just Roadster, S, X, 3, Y. Anybody know how to access Semi information on there?

If the GVWR is that high and if the truck only weighs 25K that is a high payload capacity
Well not really rear axle max capacity for bridge law is 34K, the front axle could be a 12K up to 20K + without knowing the tires on it I’m guessing it to be no more than 13.5K so that gives you a legal axle weight of 47.5K not taking into account the extra 2k allowed for EV.
Many class 8 tractors have a GVWR of 52K and up and of course all class 8 trucks have a GCVWR (truck,trailer and contents)of 80K+

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
Well not really rear axle max capacity for bridge law is 34K, the front axle could be a 12K up to 20K + without knowing the tires on it I’m guessing it to be no more than 13.5K so that gives you a legal axle weight of 47.5K not taking into account the extra 2k allowed for EV.
Many class 8 tractors have a GVWR of 52K and up and of course all class 8 trucks have a GCVWR (truck,trailer and contents)of 80K+
Well that is interest (confusing for those not in the know).

Found the related dot . gov site: Bridge Formula Weights- FHWA Freight Management and Operations

Below from: Semi Truck Weight – Axle and Gross Weight Maximums – 5 Axle – 2020 – Big Truck Guide

Gross Weight Limit – Tare Weight = Payload

Components of Gross Weight limits

The reason that it is hard to give a specific answer to the question of how much a truck can weigh is because there are 5 different types of weight limits that must be calculated to find the weight limit of a particular truck.
  • Gross Weight Limit – Governments set a limit of the maximum total weight of a truck.
  • Axle Weight Limits – Governments set a limit on the maximum weight on a group of axles. The total weight cannot exceed the sum of these limits.
  • Tire Width Limits – Governments set a limit on the amount of weight that can be put on a tire, based on its width. The total weight of the truck cannot exceed this value times all the tire widths on the truck.
  • Bridge Weight Limits – Some governments (like the US Federal Government) set a limit on the amount of weight that can be put on a group of axles based on the distance between them and the number of axles in each group.
  • Manufacturers Weight Limits – The manufacturer of the truck, trailer, brakes, axles, suspension all set their own limits for how much weight can be carried on the semi truck. By law, the manufacturers’ limits must also be respected even if other limits are higher.

Tare Weight

A typical 5 axle semi truck, like the one depicted below will weigh approximately:
  • Tandem Drive Truck Tractor with Sleeper: 18,000 lbs
  • Van (Box) Trailer 53’ long with 2 axles: 17,650 lbs
  • Total: 35,650 lbs

Payload

To find the amount of weight that a truck can carry, find the limit listed in the table below minus the weight of the truck. For example:
  • Gross Weight Limit – Tare Weight = Payload
  • (80,000 lbs Federal Limit) – (35,650 lbs truck weight) = (44,350 lbs load allowed)

Last edited:
I totally forgot about the Bridge law and front axle weight .

Inquring minds want to know.
Agreed, Everyone complains about Tesla not having a PR department however think of it like this. If a company gives all info right off the bat it’s talked about for 3 days and it’s over, since first delivery there are questions that keeps people talking about the product. So their secrecy is their advertising department that don’t cost a dime.
I agree i would love to know more about the Semi as a reservationist, and just as a general inquiring mind.

I agree i would love to know more about the Semi as a reservationist
Congrats on the reservation! I decided to wait and see how the charging situation would be before ordering as mine would be for personal use(5th wheel RV). Are you looking to get yours sometime in 2024? In Texas you need a Non-CDL to operate the Tesla Semi for personal use such as pulling a 5th wheel RV.

Congrats on the reservation! I decided to wait and see how the charging situation would be before ordering as mine would be for personal use(5th wheel RV). Are you looking to get yours sometime in 2024? In Texas you need a Non-CDL to operate the Tesla Semi for personal use such as pulling a 5th wheel RV.
I own a trucking company don‘t know when I will get it I will have to look at infrastructure when my number comes up and decide then, I also converted a diesel truck for RV pulling back in 2014 now everyone does it.

what’s “that” so you can understand the meaning.

No need to, you Cannot order one anyway, maybe when you can purchase one they will give you what you want.
Another of your completely useless posts. Why am I not in the least surprised? Your post is a complete waste of space.
There was a big Semi event, supposedly it's in operation with Pepsi, so why don't they publish the data? I don't suppose that they have to keep professional customers guessing, if the data is so convincing.