Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesco free Pod point charge rate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my Model 3, I do get just under 7kW at Tesco and with other PodPoints at their 30A charge points and just under 10.5kWh at their 22kW/16A 3 phase outlets. I've not checked, but my guess is the supply voltage is on the lower end of normal. Free is free and "every little helps" as they say at Tesco. Could it be that you've got heating/cooling or conditioning on and it's reducing the rate of charge?

Rarely look at the miles per hour rate, podpoints are 30amps vs 32amps for most home charge points, so you'll lose a little there, voltage also can vary. If you are in the car with heating/ac on, then that will pull the figure down more as well.

I think it depends on how saturated it is. I think, from memory, that the charging speed goes down if you have someone else sharing the post. I've certainly seen my charging rate drop to 3-4kWh when another car is charging alongside at a local Tescos. That might not be the case at every site though.

I would disagree that it's a waste of time. If you're only popping in for something, then sure, but if you're doing a big shop or spending a reasonable amount of time then at the very minimum you'll get the distance you travelled to get there effectively refunded, which seems ok to me? Point me at which supermarkets give you some free petrol when you turn up and I'll reconsider my thoughts about it.

They're not really that useful when shopping. Just a symbollic box ticking excercise for a big supermarket.
That depends on how long you stay and what rate of charge you can get. Our local Tesco has a couple of free 22KW chargers. Both my daughters have Zoes which can charge at 22KW. Just one hour of charge at that rate is a useful amount of free juice.

Just a shame my M3 is limited to 11KW.

Which is a discrepancy. Normally I'd assume that it's car doing the measuring but possibly overwritten by data from charge point? As in incoming power v stored?
I’ll check next time I plug in - but, from memory, I think it’s 210v 30a at my local Tesco. Charging screen never shown more than than 6kW. Using Scan My Tesla, sometimes only 4 or 5kW will go to towards the battery if it’s cold, AC etc is on. I’m still very happy with the free charge though 😀