Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TesDash Beta - A free Stats dashboard for your Tesla

Have you tried out TesDash?

• I have tried it and it is not useful :(

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Again!

A few weeks ago, I made a post (Gauging interest in a free tesla stats desktop dashboard) trying to gauge interest in a free, open source Stats dashboard mainly run on your computer. There seemed to be sufficient interest so now I have a working version ready for public beta testing! Currently, it is limited to Windows machines but I will be adding support for Mac and Linux really soon.

If you don't mind trying out the Dashboard and providing feedback, please download it from this Github link jyim89/TeslaStatsDashboard

Here are some early screenshots:
overview.JPG

Battery.jpg

charging.jpg

TesDash is still in the very early stages of develop so any feedback will be very helpful!

Thank you,
Jason

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Arctic_White
Couple things I found...

1. I ran it on my main desktop (Windows 10), tasks created and ran successfully but so far is only pulling the name of the car.

2. Since I have a public facing web server at home I thought I'd migrate over to it since I already have some tesla related code running here on .net core. However, that's Server 2008 R2 and the default PowerShell install doesn't contain the newer New-Task.... cmdlets so the setup fails.

Here's the chrome dev tool console output regarding #1- I'd debug this further but don't have much free time right now so passing along instead...

Yx5P4pN.png

Last edited:
Reactions: jyim89
Couple things I found...

1. I ran it on my main desktop (Windows 10), tasks created and ran successfully but so far is only pulling the name of the car.

2. Since I have a public facing web server at home I thought I'd migrate over to it since I already have some tesla related code running here on .net core. However, that's Server 2008 R2 and the default PowerShell install doesn't contain the newer New-Task.... cmdlets so the setup fails.

Here's the chrome dev tool console output regarding #1- I'd debug this further but don't have much free time right now so passing along instead...

Yx5P4pN.png

Thanks for trying it out!
1. I am able to replicate your error. This just means that you haven't collected enough data yet as the TesDash allows your car to sleep for 2 hours when not in use. If you don't want to wait the 2 hours you can force it to collect data once more. Change the XXXXXXXXXXXX_LastAwakeTime and XXXXXXXXXXXX_LastAwakeTime values to 0 under settings.js. I realize this is not ideal but please keep in mind this is still very much a beta.

2. If working on an older OS, you can just manually create a scheduled task as well using the properties under registertask.ps1. Should be simple to do. However, recommendation is running on a more modern OS as I haven't tested in older OSes yet.

Thanks for trying it out!
1. I am able to replicate your error. This just means that you haven't collected enough data yet as the TesDash allows your car to sleep for 2 hours when not in use. If you don't want to wait the 2 hours you can force it to collect data once more. Change the XXXXXXXXXXXX_LastAwakeTime and XXXXXXXXXXXX_LastAwakeTime values to 0 under settings.js. I realize this is not ideal but please keep in mind this is still very much a beta.

This is perfectly fine for me but my developer spidey sense tells me you'll get less "support calls" from exited users if you can let the user know proactively (I was running the .ps1 standalone after I posted out of geek interest). Even if just a small blurb about giving it some time to collect.

2. If working on an older OS, you can just manually create a scheduled task as well using the properties under registertask.ps1. Should be simple to do. However, recommendation is running on a more modern OS as I haven't tested in older OSes yet.

Yep, it's not a problem for me personally, and app looks interesting, will likely use it at some point but my reply was mostly because it was beta and needing feedback for the masses since they may not be as versed as I am.

Take care.

Reactions: jyim89
This is perfectly fine for me but my developer spidey sense tells me you'll get less "support calls" from exited users if you can let the user know proactively (I was running the .ps1 standalone after I posted out of geek interest). Even if just a small blurb about giving it some time to collect.

Yep, it's not a problem for me personally, and app looks interesting, will likely use it at some point but my reply was mostly because it was beta and needing feedback for the masses since they may not be as versed as I am.

Take care.

For issue number 1, I've pushed a change that should help. Users should be able to view data within the first couple of minutes instead of hours. I've updated the readme to mention it needs a few minutes. Still not a complete fix as it won't work if the .ps1 is manually run just once though but it should do for now :).

Thank you so much for trying it out and for your feedback, I've been testing various scenarios myself but of course I can overlook things.

Jason, thank you for working on such a project. I'm always interested in my car's data, especially since I am new to Tesla. However, the requirement of keeping a computer running 24/7 to collect data may prevent me from using this software, as I now own only laptops, and put them to sleep/standby whenever possible. If you have a workaround to this requirement, it'd be a much more attractive package to potential users like me!

Hello!

Something I noticed. The app is creating a lot of RetrieveDataError log files (297 since we last spoke). Looks like it couldn't talk to the tesla at times ("error":"vehicle unavailable). I don't know why (not that concerned about it) but thought I'd ask if you could use a single log file and just timestamp the entries, instead of 1 file per error.

Otherwise it seems to be working fine, I'm just letting it gather data for a couple weeks before I dig in more. Thanks again. :)

Hello!

Something I noticed. The app is creating a lot of RetrieveDataError log files (297 since we last spoke). Looks like it couldn't talk to the tesla at times ("error":"vehicle unavailable). I don't know why (not that concerned about it) but thought I'd ask if you could use a single log file and just timestamp the entries, instead of 1 file per error.

Otherwise it seems to be working fine, I'm just letting it gather data for a couple weeks before I dig in more. Thanks again. :)

Good feedback on the logs will make this change in the next push. Hmm, I don't seem to have as many vehicle unavailable errors as you though. Do you keep your car in an area where it could have bad data connection?

Jason, thank you for working on such a project. I'm always interested in my car's data, especially since I am new to Tesla. However, the requirement of keeping a computer running 24/7 to collect data may prevent me from using this software, as I now own only laptops, and put them to sleep/standby whenever possible. If you have a workaround to this requirement, it'd be a much more attractive package to potential users like me!

Good feedback. I thought about this as well. I'll soon upload instructions on how to host this on your personal cloud which should help. Unfortunately, cloud hosting options wouldn't be free.

Reactions: chuckecheeseli