Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla’s Auto Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've only started with Tesla Insurance this month (Feb) so not much history with them but I did call them not too long ago to change my credit card info and to address some concerns I had. The wait time was not too bad (less than 5 minutes) and the CSR was helpful.

The switch saved me about $120 (6 months) from what GEICO was charging me with better coverage, not everyone's case is the same so shop around.

Reactions: Realessly
From what I read, it sounds like Tesla Insurance still uses a 3rd party company to handle customer service so it won't be as bad as Tesla's actual service line.

I have Tesla insurance presently and they are pretty quick at picking up the phone when I had a question.

I've had good luck with Tesla Insurance. Besides the substantial savings, the call center for the insurance has been quick and quick to solve little issues (like designating a new credit card and adding a second driver). Of course the real test will come if I ever have to make a claim.

Reactions: protoclown
I talked to the dealer today and he said they collect your driving data and adjust your premiums based on how aggressive a driver you are.
According to their FAQ they currently don't. Also, California state regulations put strict limits on this kind of thing (which is why insurance companies like Progressive don't offer their driver monitoring dongles here).

Tesla Insurance

Does Tesla Insurance use driver data to price insurance?
We use anonymized, aggregated data to inform our insurance rates, such as including the benefits of Tesla's active safety and advanced driver assistance features. Tesla Insurance does not currently use data from individual vehicles, such as GPS or vehicle camera footage. We plan to expand the product offerings to incorporate more types of data over time.

Are there really a lot of people out there who only need a standalone auto policy? We have our policy bundled with earthquake, homeowners, and umbrella. There is no way we could separate out just the auto policy without it impacting the umbrella policy. And we get a discount on our homeowner’s policy by having auto and umbrella with the same company as well.

So even if Tesla was a few hundred dollars cheaper for auto insurance, we would spend more than a few hundred dollars extra on the rest of the bundle.

Reactions: axhoaxho
Are there really a lot of people out there who only need a standalone auto policy? We have our policy bundled with earthquake, homeowners, and umbrella. There is no way we could separate out just the auto policy without it impacting the umbrella policy. And we get a discount on our homeowner’s policy by having auto and umbrella with the same company as well.

So even if Tesla was a few hundred dollars cheaper for auto insurance, we would spend more than a few hundred dollars extra on the rest of the bundle.
I've thought about this also, but if the prices are comparable I'm jumping to Tesla