Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla’s First 400 kWh Of Free Supercharging For Model S & X Ends

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Say goodbye to the free 400 kWh of Supercharging.

Tesla completed the transition from fully free Supercharging for long-distance travel in the Model S and Model X cars to a fully paid business model.

Initially, S/X cars were sold with a promise to be able to free Supercharge forever and cars sold then still can use Superchargers for free. In 2017, Tesla highly limited the free Supercharging of newly-sold cars in the U.S. (and later also in Europe) by offering new S/X with just 400 kWh free credit annually. Depending on versions, it was at least 5 full charges or up to around 10 partial recharges.

According to the latest news, cars sold on November 2, 2018 and on don’t get any free Supercharging credit, so 100% of the recharges are paid (at least if the owner does not receive some promotion like the 6-months of free Supercharging from the referral program).

From Tesla’s site:

My Tesla includes 400kWh of credits annually—how do those work?

Certain Model S and X vehicles sold before November 2, 2018 include annual Supercharger credits of 400kWh, or roughly 1,000 miles. For usage above the complimentary annual credits, a small fee applies to Supercharge. Credits replenish automatically on the anniversary of your delivery or known ownership transfer. Unused credits do not rollover to the next year and you can view your vehicle’s Supercharger credit status by logging into your Tesla Account.

Tesla Model 3 from the start was sold without any free Supercharging, so now all three models are equal in this regard.

The cost of charging is comparable to electricity costs, which is still less than in the case of other fast charging networks. In California it’s $0.26/kWh. Depending on state or country, the amount varies and is calculated per kWh or minute (if a particular market causes issues with how electricity is sold).

Source: Tesla via Electrek

This article originally appeared on Inside EVs.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I think I'm in the free for life all future Teslas, but can't find anything on MyTesla. Anyone know what VINs or where documents are located?

There wasn’t a free for life all future Teslas program. It was always a limited time offer.

Your supercharging status shows on your My Tesla page under your car. Here is what mine shows. You can see my option to get supercharging with the next car has already expired.

8268623E-83FF-4ABD-A072-65F8BEA8E158.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: idoco
I do not know any of the details of the various state regulatory controls that affect Tesla's Supercharging business but I would be surprised if Tesla did not have near absolute control over the sale price of the electricity dispensed.

Prepare to be surprised! I'm not going to go looking up all the details right now, but I'm pretty sure that some states do dictate the retail rates that electricity can be sold, which includes EV charging stations (even an off-grid solar station!). And more than that, some of them also dictate how the rate must be calculated: i.e. some of them don't allow charging by the minute, they require the fee be assessed per KWh. Many of these regulations were made without any thought to EV charging, and they may be (and should be) revised in the future, but for now they're in force.

Reactions: Jeff Hudson
Prepare to be surprised! I'm not going to go looking up all the details right now, but I'm pretty sure that some states do dictate the retail rates that electricity can be sold, which includes EV charging stations (even an off-grid solar station!). And more than that, some of them also dictate how the rate must be calculated: i.e. some of them don't allow charging by the minute, they require the fee be assessed per KWh. Many of these regulations were made without any thought to EV charging, and they may be (and should be) revised in the future, but for now they're in force.
I am surprised and yet at the same time I'm not surprised. Thanks for sharing. I think this topic is interesting and worth watching for any future developments.

Yes, Tesla does have to obey and abide by all of the different state commerce regulations when it comes to reselling the regulated commodity which in this case is electricity. I do not know any of the details of the various state regulatory controls that affect Tesla's Supercharging business but I would be surprised if Tesla did not have near absolute control over the sale price of the electricity dispensed.

From what I have read and understand they must abide, by region and state. Complicated I would assume, very complicated.

It is NOT transferable. Tesla no longer runs unlimited supercharging without some restrictions... but it does offers a kick in the pants for those who were thinking about buying one.

Right, I agree - despite what others have said in this thread.

A lot of incorrect and inconsistent info in this thread based on my limited knowledge. Hope someone with definite info straight things up regarding the "free super charging"

The rule is fairly simple. Transferable free unlimited supercharging ended January 15, 2017. If the car wasn't ordered by then (or an inventory car built by then), any free unlimited supercharging ends when ownership ends. As a result, for example, other than certain timely ordered or built P100Ds, there are no (non-P) 100Ds with transferable supercharging.

Reactions: jboy210
It is NOT transferable. Tesla no longer runs unlimited supercharging without some restrictions... but it does offers a kick in the pants for those who were thinking about buying one.

Yes, tough decision to buy a new one if you have free supercharging and in an area that you use it a lot.

I feel like unlimited forever free supercharging does have to end. It makes for buffet mentality and really isn't sustainable.

As I said above, I do think very specific & clear promotions would be fine. Free supercharging for the car for a year from purchase, 1000kWh free with purchase. I'm against anything complicated like free charging more than 100 miles from home. It sets up for the sneaky ones to benefit and rest to pay for it.

I will say that my current configuration is priced lower than when I purchased it 2 years ago, and has more features. So they did reduce the price of the cars - at least some of the models.

To clarify: Go to 'Your Tesla' and under the image of 'your Tesla' see the statement that specifically applies to *your* situation. If you disagree with it then you should contact TM management using the form provided.
-

Yes. In California only the utilities are allowed to sell electricity by the kWh as a unit. That's why all the charge stations here sell time at the station rather than the actual amount of electricity transferred.

Yes. In California only the utilities are allowed to sell electricity by the kWh as a unit. That's why all the charge stations here sell time at the station rather than the actual amount of electricity transferred.
I was just curious where "here" was since your profile description indicates you are located in the Bay Area, CA. FWIW, Alabama where I am located sells Supercharger electrons by the time and power.

Supercharging

I was just curious where "here" was since your profile description indicates you are located in the Bay Area, CA. FWIW, Alabama where I am located sells Supercharger electrons by the time and power.

Supercharging
This was my first post in this thread, so maybe you are continuing a conversation with someone else. But yes, I live in California and I recall having a discussion about this a while back when people were asking why we couldn't buy by the kWh.

This was my first post in this thread, so maybe you are continuing a conversation with someone else. But yes, I live in California and I recall having a discussion about this a while back when people were asking why we couldn't buy by the kWh.
But if you follow my link and use the pull-down combo box you'll see that California does sell Supercharger electricity by the kWh.

Transferability was definitely a limited time offer. Here is what mine says on Tesla.com when I check my 2018 Model X ordered Feb 2018, picked up May 30, 2018. I highlighted the transfer to the next owner part.

Supercharging
You have free, unlimited Supercharging for your current Tesla vehicle as well as any new Model S or Model X purchased before January 31, 2018. If you choose to sell your current Tesla, free Supercharging will not transfer to the next owner. Also, up to five friends you refer will also receive free Supercharging. Read our Supercharging terms.