Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla’s FSD Beta 10.2 Coming This Friday

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

The next update to Tesla’s FSD Beta will be available to qualifying drivers on Friday, Chief Executive Elon Musk said.

Version 10.2 will be rolled out to about 1,000 Tesla owners who have requested access and achieved a perfect Safety Score. Version 10.1 offered an option to request access to the FSD Beta software. The beta was previously only available to a limited number of testers.

By requesting access, owners give Tesla permission to evaluate their driving to create a Safety Score. The Safety Score is an assessment of driving behavior based on five metrics called Safety Factors. These are combined to estimate the likelihood that driving could result in a future collision.

Musk said on Twitter that the update will include a “long list of mostly little items” and that the “driving experience is significantly better.”

However, Musk also noted that Tesla’s neural networks have more data for certain areas of the U.S., so the FSD experience will likely vary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Today, I drove a 50 mile round trip route I've done many times before on EAP with the non-beta "FSD." What a difference today with Beta 10.2. Repeatedly phantom braked for no reason. One time it slammed on the brakes as I neared a flashing yellow light on the side of the road which indicating traffic signal ahead (several hundred yards away). My car came almost to a full stop, even though the speed limit along this section of road was 55, there was no traffic, and the traffic light was a long ways off. 10.2 had my car approaching cars in front of me which were slowing for traffic much too quickly. So, on the features which EAP handled pretty well on freeways and other roads, Beta 10.2 appears to be a step backwards.

Of course, 10.2 does things EAP doesn't, like turns on city streets, but the turns often seemed hesitant and were sometimes too wide, sometimes too narrow.

So, after one day, I'm not too impressed. If the next week or two shows similar problems continuing, I will request to have 10.2 removed for the time being. It is clearly not ready for prime time.

I had heard there was a button to report all such instances in real time, but I can't find it.
Not that it matters much, but my non FSD authorized model 3 is often very confused by flashing yellow lights, which are very prevalent where i live. School zones blink yellow during school hours, in front of fire stations have flashing yellow 24/7. Car often drastically slows down at them. It may try to stop but i usually intervene.

Do other places have flashing yellow lights for school zones? I live in the Seattle area and they are everywhere and quite the impediment to traffic flow. That was one of the few benefits to covid and no in person schooling. No flashing yellow lights.

• Funny
Reactions: EVNow
Not that it matters much, but my non FSD authorized model 3 is often very confused by flashing yellow lights, which are very prevalent where i live. School zones blink yellow during school hours, in front of fire stations have flashing yellow 24/7. Car often drastically slows down at them. It may try to stop but i usually intervene.

Do other places have flashing yellow lights for school zones? I live in the Seattle area and they are everywhere and quite the impediment to traffic flow. That was one of the few benefits to covid and no in person schooling. No flashing yellow lights.
I live in San Antonio and my non FSD HATES flashing yellows regardless of where they are and really wants to hard stop (even on the highway) anytime it sees one.

No blinking lights here on the east side (atleast I don't remember).
No blinking lights here on the east side (atleast I don't remember).
You don’t have school zones with flashing yellow lights on the east side? I live in Lakewood, but University Place, Gig Harbor, etc etc all have flashing yellow lights anywhere the speed limit is greater than 25mph that flash an hour before and an hour after school starts/ends each day. Major roads with two lanes each direction go from 45 to 20 mph for four hours a day! Around high schools that slow down can extend for 1/2 mile in every direction from the school. Somehow i think high school students are aware enough to not cross a major roadway unsafely, but the safety zealots here think differently.

Does the Beta still try to stop at a stop sign when approaching an intersection that is, maybe best describe may as a y type, and the car thinks the other roads stop sign is your stop sign. There is a rural route I regularly take and my car last minute slows wayyyy down thinking it just recognized the stop sign at full speed.

You don’t have school zones with flashing yellow lights on the east side? I live in Lakewood, but University Place, Gig Harbor, etc etc all have flashing yellow lights anywhere the speed limit is greater than 25mph that flash an hour before and an hour after school starts/ends each day. Major roads with two lanes each direction go from 45 to 20 mph for four hours a day! Around high schools that slow down can extend for 1/2 mile in every direction from the school. Somehow i think high school students are aware enough to not cross a major roadway unsafely, but the safety zealots here think differently.

@Huskyfan I'll check again - but from memory we don't have flashing lights near my home. Ofcourse, we have speed limits - but are usually about an hour or so in the morning & afternoon. Yes, it can be painful to go through the heavy traffic - so I always take alternate roads (and thats why I don't recall the flashing lights !).

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Does the Beta still try to stop at a stop sign when approaching an intersection that is, maybe best describe may as a y type, and the car thinks the other roads stop sign is your stop sign. There is a rural route I regularly take and my car last minute slows wayyyy down thinking it just recognized the stop sign at full speed.
I've one of those - will check one of these days.

Reactions: boonedocks