Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla’s FSD Beta 10.3 Coming This Friday 10-22-2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That’s… not a good sign. Finally got back to a 99 today after ~900 miles of driving on my 2016 AP2/HW3/MCU2 model s. Guess I shouldn’t be getting my hopes up for the beta any time soon :-(

(Which sucks, because my wife (and likely everyone else on the road) is getting REALLY sick of my “careful” driving to try and make sure I get the beta. This is the *first* time we’re hearing that “all” cars doesn’t actually mean “all” cars.

Not exactly true. If you stay below 50mph you won't get dinged for close following.
If you (1) use AP, or (2) simply count seconds of following, you won't get dinged for close following either, lol. If you go below 50 on the freeway, otoh, with nobody ahead of you... don't be surprised to find a cop behind you flashing their lights and wondering what you're doing on the freeway like that! lol. Great way to piss _everyone_ off. Don't do that.

Besides, following score is a very minor part of the overall. I don't have access to the score & calculator anymore... but you can have a pretty chonky "unsafe following" ding (near 10%) and still be having a 100-point day.

Just focus on maximizing the miles on 100- or 99-point days... and minimize the miles on lower days - or improve that day's score by goosing the metrics.

If you (1) use AP, or (2) simply count seconds of following, you won't get dinged for close following either, lol. If you go below 50 on the freeway, otoh, with nobody ahead of you... don't be surprised to find a cop behind you flashing their lights and wondering what you're doing on the freeway like that! lol. Great way to piss _everyone_ off. Don't do that.

Besides, following score is a very minor part of the overall. I don't have access to the score & calculator anymore... but you can have a pretty chonky "unsafe following" ding (near 10%) and still be having a 100-point day.

Just focus on maximizing the miles on 100- or 99-point days... and minimize the miles on lower days - or improve that day's score by goosing the metrics.
Yeah, “hard braking” and FCW are the biggies it seems.

Reactions: FalconFour
It's not a good sign Tesla is, once again, upgrading hardware for free to FSD buyers any time it turns out the system needs better hardware?

Also I'd just about bet money S/X folks getting upgraded also get a new rear-view with an interior cam for driver monitoring.
Not a good sign = not a good sign that I'll be getting FSD Beta tomorrow as was promised. What it means is that those of us that have been waiting the longest (~ 5years) for FSD, the ones that should be getting it first, will be the ones getting it last since we now need to wait to get more HW retrofitted (on whatever very slow timeline tesla comes up with for a rollout plan for that...)

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they're upgrading the hardware "for free" for anyone that paid for FSD, though I'd argue that they should also do that for anyone with AP2 regardless of if they purchased FSD, as our cars were sold as "having all of the hardware needed for FSD" when we bought them. And that they should have upgraded the cameras when they did the HW3 retrofit if they knew (or even suspected) that those upgrades were going to be needed.

RE why "updated" cameras are needed for those of us with 2016/early 2107 HW, AP2 cameras use "RCCC" filters, compared to the "RCCB" filters that AP2.5+ cameras use.

RCCC = Red Clear Clear Clear
RCCB = Red Clear Clear Blue

Both sensors offer improved low light sensitivity compared to a normal camera's typical bayer RGGB sensor, but the RCCC can essentially only detect red colors (and everything else is "monochrome"). Which might be fine for detecting stop lights, but could be limiting in a FSD stack that may need to detect things of various colors to accurately interpret the world.

I wonder what would happen if you changed the autopilotCameraType from 1 to 2 in your gateway cfg without actually putting the new cameras in...

RE why "updated" cameras are needed for those of us with 2016/early 2107 HW, AP2 cameras use "RCCC" filters, compared to the "RCCB" filters that AP2.5+ cameras use.

RCCC = Red Clear Clear Clear
RCCB = Red Clear Clear Blue

Both sensors offer improved low light sensitivity compared to a normal camera's typical bayer RGGB sensor, but the RCCC can essentially only detect red colors (and everything else is "monochrome"). Which might be fine for detecting stop lights, but could be limiting in a FSD stack that may need to detect things of various colors to accurately interpret the world.

I wonder what would happen if you changed the autopilotCameraType from 1 to 2 in your gateway cfg without actually putting the new cameras in...
Yellow lines vs. white lines, I suspect... and indeed, it's a bit ... surprising... that Tesla didn't see that one coming when they originally chose that odd RCCC configuration. At least with RCCB, they can subtractively make out full color (anything that isn't R or B has a high probability of being G if you subtract the other components in the proper ratio). Still takes a bit of processing to get there (for dashcam/Sentry), but at least it's possible! Not so with RCCC.

Reactions: appleguru
Are they still offering free FSD upgrades when / if necessary for new 2021 owners?

If not when did they officially stop?
Free upgrades, as in what - if, in the future, you need additional hardware for later features?

Highly unlikely, I think... they already drew that line in the sand when they started calling 2017-2019 cars back to give them AP3 computers. That was a huge expense they had to swallow, and the only time they've ever done it. Extremely doubt they'd do it again. They're more likely to just not offer those features (though more likely: that performance/smoothness) on AP3 vehicles.

The camera retrofit is a relatively small number of cars, I think (it was only Model S/X, which were much, much lower volume than Model 3s), so that's not as bad as ever, ever needing to do a retrofit on the hundreds of thousands (over a million now, probably?) of cars that have AP3 hardware.