Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla’s FSD Beta 10.3 Coming This Friday 10-22-2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Free upgrades, as in what - if, in the future, you need additional hardware for later features?

Highly unlikely, I think... they already drew that line in the sand when they started calling 2017-2019 cars back to give them AP3 computers. That was a huge expense they had to swallow, and the only time they've ever done it. Extremely doubt they'd do it again. They're more likely to just not offer those features (though more likely: that performance/smoothness) on AP3 vehicles.

The camera retrofit is a relatively small number of cars, I think (it was only Model S/X, which were much, much lower volume than Model 3s), so that's not as bad as ever, ever needing to do a retrofit on the hundreds of thousands (over a million now, probably?) of cars that have AP3 hardware.

Tesla has stated publicly, since the AP2->2.5 days, anyone who needs a HW upgrade to get promised FSD features gets the HW upgrade for free.

They kept the promise with the HW3 upgrade, and are keeping it again upgrading the 2.0 cameras.

Why do you think they won't keep it in the future if needed?

Tesla has stated publicly, since the AP2->2.5 days, anyone who needs a HW upgrade to get promised FSD features gets the HW upgrade for free.

They kept the promise with the HW3 upgrade, and are keeping it again upgrading the 2.0 cameras.

Why do you think they won't keep it in the future if needed?
I don't think you actually read the post you're responding to... you seem to be taking a different interpretation of the question of "cutoff" than I am. In my post, I was even explaining my interpretation, but your reply has nothing to do with that... why even quote my post vs. just writing a reply?

Anyway, there's no cutoff for people that have old hardware (AP2, AP2.5, old cameras) from getting those upgrades. The way the question was phrased, that I was responding to, it sounded like the question was that of "what happens when AP4 comes out". When AP4 comes out, I don't see Tesla upgrading our AP3 cars. Ever. Unless maybe we pay extra for it - and that would mean it's already feature-complete under AP3 (thus fulfilled the promise), and future versions might just be smoother, etc.

I don't think you actually read the post you're responding to... you seem to be taking a different interpretation of the question of "cutoff" than I am. In my post, I was even explaining my interpretation, but your reply has nothing to do with that... why even quote my post vs. just writing a reply?

So the issue is, your post absolutely had to do with what I wrote.

Anyway, there's no cutoff for people that have old hardware (AP2, AP2.5, old cameras) from getting those upgrades. The way the question was phrased, that I was responding to, it sounded like the question was that of "what happens when AP4 comes out". When AP4 comes out, I don't see Tesla upgrading our AP3 cars. Ever.

And here's where it's clear it was related.

You say there's no cut-off.

Then tell us there's absolutely a cut off at HW3 and nobody is getting upgrades past that.

Why do you think they were telling the truth UP TO HW3, but lying about all needed upgrades being free after that?

We already know HW3 is insufficient for what was promised to at least the pre March 2019 FSD buyers, since it hasn't enough compute to run redundantly, which would be needed to operate without a human behind the wheel.

So at minimum HW4 for free would be likely under the existing free upgrades as needed policy.

I have had a 100 safety score with 100+ miles for 2 days now and still no FSD Beta. I have a 2021 Model 3 with all the compatible hardware. I doubt the 99ers are going to receive it today.
You’re comparing two different things. The 10.3 release unlocks beta for 99+. It doesn’t have anything to do with you having a 100 ss. That’s a separate issue and they might not be queueing your car for download for any number of unknown reasons.

Last edited:
I was able to reset my score that was a 77 and now have 100 but only 30 miles driven. Pretty sure I can get to 100 by tonight as I have a ton or errands to run the rest of the day all over the city.

Does it also require 7 days of history on top of the 100 miles driven?

I was able to reset my score that was a 77 and now have 100 but only 30 miles driven. Pretty sure I can get to 100 by tonight as I have a ton or errands to run the rest of the day all over the city.

Does it also require 7 days of history on top of the 100 miles driven?
As far as I know, you just need 100 miles driven. I got pushed mine the night after I hit 100 score on 112 miles.

Reactions: T-Racer