Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla’s Full Self-Driving Software Deployed to ‘Careful Drivers’

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla’s Full Self-Driving beta rolled out Tuesday night, according to a tweet form Chief Executive Elon Musk.

The new software is a substantial re-write of the automakers self-driving technology. Musk has been testing the update, calling the improvements “profound.” 

“I think we’ll hopefully release a private beta of Autopilot, of the full self-driving version of Autopilot in, I think, a month or so, and then people will really understand just the magnitude of the change,” Musk said at Tesla’s recent Battery Day event. “It’s profound…you’ll see it. It’s just like a hell of a step change.”

Musk teased the Oct. 20 rollout earlier in the month, saying FSD would be released to a limited number of people identified as “expert and careful drivers.”

He reiterated that caution Tuesday, highlighting that the FSD beta is being released in an “extremely slow and cautious” manner.

FSD has been a long wait for many who purchased the pricey option. Tesla hoped to release a feature-complete version of FSD update by the end of last year, but didn’t achieve that goal. It seems the company is finally taking that next step toward the fully autonomous car it promised.

Did you receive the update?

Last edited by a moderator:
They should call it California Highway Beta. The day a Tesla, or any other car for that matter, can autonomously navigate across the whole of London via the centre without incident is the day I’ll eat one of my hats - thinking the rice paper one. I suspect the same issues would apply to LA or NYC or any other traffic jammed metropolis on the planet. The only way I can see it happening is with the development of full AI, which will make the feat something of an irrelevance, a Pyrrhic victory, as that level of AI will at the same time signal the end of humanity.

I don’t follow the logic. Wouldn’t Tesla want dangerous aggressive drivers to use FSD to keep them out of trouble? It’s not like ones driving style makes FSD drive worse or more aggressive.
Should really be attentive drivers with fast reflexes who can take over quickly when FSD decides to make a right turn a couple feet early and into a curb.

They should call it California Highway Beta. The day a Tesla, or any other car for that matter, can autonomously navigate across the whole of London via the centre without incident is the day I’ll eat one of my hats - thinking the rice paper one. I suspect the same issues would apply to LA or NYC or any other traffic jammed metropolis on the planet. The only way I can see it happening is with the development of full AI, which will make the feat something of an irrelevance, a Pyrrhic victory, as that level of AI will at the same time signal the end of humanity.

I'm Old and Careful ... and have been using the current FSD software.
Having seen my father become an unsafe driver, I'm interested in FSD to safely extend my driving life.
Already it, and FP, are helpful at night, since my Night Vision has started to decrease.

Pick Me to Beta Test it ...
If your night vision is starting to decrease, you should start taking eye vitamins. They're called PreserVision AREDS 2. You can get them online or at any pharmacy without a prescription.

Here's an example from 2020Q3 update of what the neural network is predicting as it approaches an intersection without using maps:

unmapped intersection.png

My son made me buy the upgrade to FSD. "Two reasons Dad"...1. you are getting older and FSD can only help you and 2. Since I will get to inherit your Tesla S, I want you to pay for the FSD now so I will have it when the car is mine. :)
Wow...that next generation is always thinking ahead, eh?

he just wants phantom braking to kick in so he can collect his inheritance