Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla’s impact on the auto industry.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there,

I’m a 3rd year Journalism student from Liverpool John Moores University, and I’m currently working on a car magazine as part of my final year project before I graduate. I’m currently working on a piece about what impact Tesla has had on the auto industry since the Tesla Roadster was introduced.

I’m hoping anyone on here could help me out by providing me with their thoughts on this.

I’m also interested to know how people feel about the other and more established brands such as Audi and Mercedes now taking on Tesla with their own electric vehicles? Do you think Tesla have played a part in this development.

Also, what do people on here think Tesla needs to do to improve if it wants to remain competitive against the German brands.

Anyone who could help me out would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Harry

The first two questions have one answer. Tesla’s mission is to accelerate the advent of sustainable transportation, and they’re showing good progress. On one hand they’re growing the EV fleet along an exponential curve. At the same time this growth is sparking competition from both new and legacy automakers. Without Tesla as a goad, the legacy brands would just show concept EVs with five-year ETAs, ad infinitum, but never actually build any.

To date the competition in Europe lags far behind: witness Q1 sales. To keep it that way, Tesla should continue to improve their vehicles, and also improve service and delivery.