Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla’s Model Y SUV is being investigated for steering wheels that can fall off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not imagining anything. I'm just referring to the "loosening" of the nut as suspected in this thread. Realistically, I do not imagine any nut or bolt loosening on a steering wheel. Never witnessed anything like that or can "imagine" how it would occur.

As I have mentioned, the steering wheel fits on a keyed shaft. If there was never any bolt or nut, then the wheel will stay on the shaft until pulled off and if that actually happens; just push it back on. Then go deal with it.
"Just push it back on" might work if you're cruising down a straightaway. In the middle of a crucial turn, the sudden loss of control might be more difficult to recover from. Even if you know how steering wheels fit, the shaft is going to be rotating from auto-steer as you're about to head off the cliff. Good luck!

Reactions: E90alex
"Just push it back on" might work if you're cruising down a straightaway. In the middle of a crucial turn, the sudden loss of control might be more difficult to recover from. Even if you know how steering wheels fit, the shaft is going to be rotating from auto-steer as you're about to head off the cliff. Good luck!
Yes, definitely something that should be swept under the carpet. It's a terrible issue to have and they need to figure out why ASAP.