Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla’s Real Range Anxiety: The YTOD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
this is exactly right. I liked driving the iPace a lot but the range and charging network just caused too much concern. Why is it taking so long?

IMO, no other car company has figured out how to Profitably make a solid, purely electric car that has range and fun factor that would compete with Tesla. Add to that the relative lack of ultra fast charging along highways that Tesla has, and we begin to understand why all others are merely dipping their toes in EV or completely kicking the EV “can” down the road. And yes the Porsche Taycan is nice but, at twice the price of a Tesla, is not really competition. JMHO

Reactions: Ciaopec
Let me start by saying I'm also in the blistering Texas heat. I'm trying to wrap my head around the insistence that it be kept inside or a cover be put on it. Do you only drive it to places it can be parked indoors or out of the sun... of course not. If your destination requires it be parked outside, do you diligently put the cover on it in the parking lot while you're there... I seriously doubt it. The cabin overheat protection feature keeps the temp below 110 (I think) so the interior doesn't bake and a high quality tint job will reduce the UV exposure. My brand new MS sleeps in the garage but spends over 200 hours a month in the sun while parked at my office... it is what it is.

Reactions: Ciaopec
I realize that SpaceX is separate from Tesla. I just identify it as another Elon company, supposedly with the same high-tech culture, so the SC communications system seems very backward given that culture. An SR+ is the Model S Performance, the Raven update with the permanent-magnet motor upfront. I paid list right after the big ~$20K reduction, less the usual $1,000 from a referral. I'm not sure what to make of my couple of data points of the back-to-back failures of both the front and rear motors with only 2k miles. That's why I was asking in my post if others are seeing this. I'm wondering if the SC replaced the wrong motor on the first go-around!
Some things take awhile to diagnose, especially the random errors. The Service Centers move in stages from firmware, to senors, to parts to wiring. I had intermittent air suspension fault that took 10 days and eventually required wiring harness replacement. But they got it and were very professional, including offer of loaner P85 after 4 days when it became clear it would take awhile. So be patient if possible and see what they can do.

Let me start by saying I'm also in the blistering Texas heat. I'm trying to wrap my head around the insistence that it be kept inside or a cover be put on it. Do you only drive it to places it can be parked indoors or out of the sun... of course not. If your destination requires it be parked outside, do you diligently put the cover on it in the parking lot while you're there... I seriously doubt it. The cabin overheat protection feature keeps the temp below 110 (I think) so the interior doesn't bake and a high quality tint job will reduce the UV exposure. My brand new MS sleeps in the garage but spends over 200 hours a month in the sun while parked at my office... it is what it is.

Yes, I diligently cover my MS with Tesla's $400 cover if it's left outside for a protracted period of time, say, 8 or more hours. In fact, I returned to the SC and covered it last Monday. I also always garage the car when not driving. The reason I do this is because the large screen becomes cloudy if left repeatedly out in the sun. I was alerted to this problem by numerous posts on this forum and I've seen cloudy screens in the SC's loaners that are always left out in the sun. I not only purchased the cover but also had the windows tinted with 3M film. But, hey, I get your point. When I returned to the SC and covered my vehicle, it was the only one with a cover in a sea of broken Teslas parked out back, all baking in the sun. And no, the AC is not coming on automatically at 105 degrees because they're all in service mode.

• Disagree
Reactions: pedriscoll
Some things take awhile to diagnose, especially the random errors. The Service Centers move in stages from firmware, to senors, to parts to wiring. I had intermittent air suspension fault that took 10 days and eventually required wiring harness replacement. But they got it and were very professional, including offer of loaner P85 after 4 days when it became clear it would take awhile. So be patient if possible and see what they can do.
It's possible that both the front and rear motors failed in less than 2,000 miles, but others who've replied to my post seem to think it's likely that the SC made a mistake and replaced the wrong motor. Either way--unreliable motors or diagnosis mistakes--such warranty and repair problems have to be really expensive for Tesla. I hope I have an experience similar to yours and the SC gets it right this time.