Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla’s Software/User Interface Priorities In Light of Recent Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
May I turn some of these points on their head by suggesting you look at it this way, then follow the logic bread crumbs? As follows:

"My [ICE car] drives like cr*p and gets me 16mpg, but it's got the most awesomest sound system! Those sound engineers really had their stuff together!"

I think any hope of ever getting 3rd party software on the Tesla computers went bye-bye the day they announced autopilot.

I hope not. If Tesla have built it correctly, it would be easy to maintain separation from the critical systems, while allowing 3rd party access to, for example, audio components. Apple's iPhone is a success largely because of the App store, and eventually everyone else copied the model. Tesla really should take a lead in this, as other cars will eventually add responsive, large-scale displays, so to maintain the advantage, they need to continue to evolve the platform, and opening it up to 3rd party developers is the fast-lane to do that (and builds value for the X, and the Model 3).

As Rlang59 says above, because Talula doesn't need playlists. It was a cringy moment when Elon credited Talula for the calendar integration, but somewhat telling.

That said, there's some good things and not so good things about the audio interface. It's easy to compare specific features to a low-end Kia, but it's not really a fair comparison. I could have bought a Ford that'll park itself for around $30k, but I didn't (plus Sync truely sucks, and is incomparable to a Tesla). It's important took at the package in its' entirety. We also need to get used to the fact that Tesla are clearly adopting the Apple approach to updates, where everything is drip-fed to drive PR and sales, as opposed to making features available the moment they're ready.

Like others, I don't car about playlists, 90% of what I listen to is from my phone, so as long as the bluetooth connection is robust (as it finally seems to be with iOS 8.1), I'm happy.

I do look at the package in it's entirety, which is why I bough and Love my Model S. But that does not mean it should be lacking basic features, especially when they are easy to fix.

Yes, Sync is pretty craptacular, but it had better iPhone support than Telsa, that tells you how poor the integration is on the Model S.

Improving the media center and iPhone support should not effect the other features going in like Autonomous driving, they are not the same programmer, or even the same system. A decent intern could add better support for playlists, and it does not take a senior level programmer to add iPhone integration.

I think any hope of ever getting 3rd party software on the Tesla computers went bye-bye the day they announced autopilot.

If you are concerned that 3rd party software might somehow malfunction and effect the drivability of the car, I don't think that is possible. My understanding is that the core drive software is completely separated from the software running the media, HVAC, apps, etc.

May I turn some of these points on their head by suggesting you look at it this way, then follow the logic bread crumbs? As follows:

"My [ICE car] drives like cr*p and gets me 16mpg, but it's got the most awesomest sound system! Those sound engineers really had their stuff together!"

That probably because the soundsystem is the easy part. Missing the basics is just silly, especially when for a small cost ( a programmer or two) you can "fix" the problem in all 50000 cars for free.

If Tesla is going to really become the mainstream EV powerhouse I hope it does, they have to get the little stuff right too. That means cupholders in the backseats, coat hooks, and proper audio integration.

I hope not. If Tesla have built it correctly, it would be easy to maintain separation from the critical systems, while allowing 3rd party access to, for example, audio components. Apple's iPhone is a success largely because of the App store, and eventually everyone else copied the model. Tesla really should take a lead in this, as other cars will eventually add responsive, large-scale displays, so to maintain the advantage, they need to continue to evolve the platform, and opening it up to 3rd party developers is the fast-lane to do that (and builds value for the X, and the Model 3).

If they would only allow html5 audio (not even video) in the browser it would help a lot.

This isn't only about playlists and shuffle. It's really basic stuff, in particular how it handles metadata. Why in the world does it prioritize cover art from the internet if it's in the metadata? Why is there no direct integration with iOS or Android devices so I don't have to sync my music to a separate storage device? When can I expect voice recognition for my onboard content rather than defaulting to Slacker? And there's about 30 items beyond that.

Either they're working on a comprehensive solution that takes time to develop or they've prioritize other development items over the media player. My money is on the latter.

I'm fine with Tesla giving a low priority to media integration and a high priority to improving the drivetrain with dual motors and improving the range and improving the handling of the car and improving the self driving and safety features. Those things are far more important than playlist control though the car UI when they are readily controlled directly on the phone.

Flame suit on...

I don't understand the sequential thinking here. Why can't Tesla do all of the above? Improving drivetrain w/ dual motors, improving range, improving handling, those are primarily hardware engineering and design challenges. It's possible for Tesla to work on more than one thing at a time, right?

Yes, it is. But Tesla is still a young company with constrained resources and its future is still uncertain. The survival of the company depends on executing the Gigafactory and then the Model 3 and meeting the announced price targets. If Tesla fails to execute those the company could fail. So I want them to focus on those goals: minor software features that the Model S currently lacks are trivial in comparison. Personally I have a long list of Model S improvements that I would like to see implemented, including the features being discussed in this thread. But in the big picture they mean next to nothing.

Personally I have a long list of Model S improvements that I would like to see implemented, including the features being discussed in this thread. But in the big picture they mean next to nothing.

As long as they are sorted before the Model 3 comes out, they are probably not making that much of a difference in sales.

The Model S is amazing in so many ways, it "gets away" with a sub par feature here and there since many of us are early adopters. The general public will probably not put up with missing phone integration and cup holder type lapses.

It also leaves the space open for VW, Nissan or someone else to put out a 150 mile car that has more creature comforts that will cut into Model 3 sales.

What confuses me is how the calendar feature was deemed a priority over so many other features. I turned it on to see it, and after a day turned it off. It's just not useful.

I suspect that it was debugged, and ready to go, unlike some of the other features.

The other day, I got in the car with my (just) 8 year old daughter. Up popped the calendar on the screen with an all-day birthday event, and my daughter exclaimed how amazed she was that the car knew it was her birthday! Priceless.

I suspect that it was debugged, and ready to go, unlike some of the other features.

The other day, I got in the car with my (just) 8 year old daughter. Up popped the calendar on the screen with an all-day birthday event, and my daughter exclaimed how amazed she was that the car knew it was her birthday! Priceless.

Now if the car started playing a happy birthday station on slacker, that would be amusing.

What confuses me is how the calendar feature was deemed a priority over so many other features. I turned it on to see it, and after a day turned it off. It's just not useful.

I'll point to this thread again as to why it got priority:
Calendar is nice... but how long until we get basic playlist access? - Page 3

talulahtweet.png

Keep in mind, we don't know what Software Development Life Cycle Tesla is using. It would not surprise me if they, as a young tech company, were using some flavor of Agile over waterfall.

Most people think of things in a "waterfall" style. This feature was done because it was at the top of a list, or next in line of a long list of projects wanted. And because this was worked on, something else wasn't being worked on. Because that is how SDLC worked everywhere for a very long time.

This is all assumption based on my personal experiences, but it can show how a "lower priority" item often ends up getting out ahead of "more important" items:

More likely, if they're working from an Agile backlog, they're assuming they have a set velocity of what they can accomplish. Let's say that velocity is X.

The team starts by pulling in their most critical tasks to define the scope of what they want to work on. Using their best estimates, they keep adding things until someone says "Ok, we are Y units of velocity short of our estimated capacity X, what on our backlog is Y sized?"

Maybe media system overhaul was Y+20 sized and including it would mean major delays to 6.0 or maybe it was the same size as Calendar but they thought it was less important, in the end the agile team agreed that Calendar was Y sized and it got in on the timeline they were hoping to hit for 6.0

Maybe media overhaul is in a parallel team. Maybe they had some devs who had a more experience with calendar sync tools than media and they decided to tackle the "smaller" item first.

Again, I cannot tell you what the precise methodology or thinking in the software teams is, but the moral is you cannot assume that just because something came first, it was "deemed a priority".

Yes, it is. But Tesla is still a young company with constrained resources and its future is still uncertain. The survival of the company depends on executing the Gigafactory and then the Model 3 and meeting the announced price targets. If Tesla fails to execute those the company could fail. So I want them to focus on those goals: minor software features that the Model S currently lacks are trivial in comparison. Personally I have a long list of Model S improvements that I would like to see implemented, including the features being discussed in this thread. But in the big picture they mean next to nothing.

Again, you are saying Tesla can't do this or that based upon your assumptions about Tesla's resources. Do you know how many software engineers work at Tesla, and what they are working on? Probably not. If the feature improvements you speak about are trivial, as you said, then it shouldn't take any time at all to implement those changes.

Adding a few additional options to the media player is certainly not going to derail Tesla from its overall mission.