Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla’s South Australia battery responds in milliseconds to grid problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ecarfan

Tesla big battery outsmarts lumbering coal units after Loy Yang trips

QUOTE:
Last Thursday, one of the biggest coal units in Australia, Loy Yang A 3, tripped without warning at 1.59am, with the sudden loss of 560MW and causing a slump in frequency on the network.

What happened next has stunned electricity industry insiders and given food for thought over the near to medium term future of the grid, such was the rapid response of the Tesla big battery to an event that happened nearly 1,000km away.

Even before the Loy Yang A unit had finished tripping, the 100MW/129MWh had responded, injecting 7.3MW into the network to help arrest a slump in frequency that had fallen below 49.80Hertz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MP3Mike
A more in depth article on the Tesla battery and the Australia power market.
'All happening very quickly': Tesla battery sends a jolt through energy markets

For December, "the battery was dispatched for energy on over 380 separate five-minute dispatch intervals, and enabled on over 4600 separate dispatch intervals in one or more FCAS markets", he said.

"The cost of Raise and Lower R-FCAS in SA in December 2016 was $502,320, compared with just $39,661 in December 2017, following the operation of the battery," he said.

"In recent times FCAS services have cost South Australians about $50 million each year," he says. "The battery is expected to significantly reduce the cost."

According to Mr McConnell, the battery dispatched about 2.5 gigawatt-hours of electricity while consuming about 3 gigawatt-hours, representing a round-trip efficiency of about 80 per cent.

"The performance to date has been very impressive. It's ramp-up from zero output to maximum in seconds (or less) is something that we haven't seen in the electricity market before," Mr McConnell said, noting the current fleet of "fast start" units take five to 10 minutes to synchronise to the grid and start providing power."

Impressive!

Reactions: Compton and EinSV
Another update on the Hornsdale battery:
Tesla’s giant battery in Australia made around $1 million in just a few days

But now the system is showing its potential to be highly profitable by making an estimated $1 million AUD (~$800,000 USD) in just a few days.

Looks like it's doing it's job of stabilizing the grid and also generating (sic) significant income.
If I'm reading it correctly, that revenue is also only from the 30MW portion that Neoen has control over for their own wholesale trading. The grid operator has control over the rest of the installation for their own purposes.

Tesla's South Australia battery is 'Kim Kardashian' of energy, says minister

Tesla’s South Australia battery is ‘Kim Kardashian’ of energy, says minister

Some blowback from SA politician. Seems to be jealous of the battery's success.

“It’s not really a solution for the stability problems of South Australia… You’ll excuse me for a bit of rhetorical flourish – I’m a politician. I sometimes think this big battery is the Kim Kardashian of the energy world – it’s famous for being famous. It really doesn’t deliver very much.”

Unlike Australia’s resource minister Matt Canavan, State premier Jay Weatherill has expressed his full support of the country’s clean energy initiatives, stating that he is looking forward to the time when the planned 250 MW/650 MWh virtual power plan would come online.

Here's a great ad for renewables in Australia with a dig at the government.

Haha! That's brilliant! I'm in South Australia. We do have some of the highest electricity prices in the world here but the uptake of domestic solar here is huge because of it, and peoples desire to get away from coal. In our small, rural town pretty much 1 in 2 houses have panels on their roof.

We're running a 10kW solar system and 1 x Powerwall 2. Our quarterly bills went from $1000.00+ to less than $10.00. I really think the coal industry knows people are installing panels etc. at an increasing pace and are simply clinging on for as long as they can to bleed as much $$ from the system before they become defunct. It's embarrassing knowing that we have a government who is aiding them in their endeavour. It's nothing more than corruption at the planets expense.