Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla’s Touchscreen UI: A Case Study of Car-Dashboard User Interface

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

thecloud

As rhythm raced inside, the ship came alive
Nov 24, 2014
Sunnyvale, CA
Nielsen/Norman Group just published a study of the Tesla v9 UI, specific to Model S (vertically-oriented screen). It makes many of the same points that have been brought up in other TMC threads:

- screen provides no haptic feedback, so you must look down at controls (taking eyes off road)
- poor placement and size of target controls (too easy to hit wrong target)
- always-on map in background is distracting
- status bar icons blend into the background (low contrast)

"Plus, one must trust that the car manufacturer will only deploy safe, well-tested versions of the operating system."

Tesla’s Touchscreen UI: A Case Study of Car-Dashboard User Interface

Last edited:
Glad to see people talking about the badly designed user interface of Version 9. Hopefully Tesla will make the UI more accessible while driving again.

It makes many of the same points that have been brought up in other TMC threads:

- screen provides no haptic feedback, so you must look down at controls (taking eyes off road)
- poor placement and size of target controls (too easy to hit wrong target)
- always-on map in background is distracting
- status bar icons blend into the background (low contrast)

Version 8 and below solves the last 3 bullets.

Even the first point of haptic feedback was sort of solved in Version 8 and below, since you could feel the metal edge of the screen while driving and touch the edge of the screen to dismiss the controls menu (you can no longer do that in Version 9).

Last edited:
I think Tesla is fully aware that v9 is a shitshow based on all the complaints we have seen here. But they also know that mcu1 can't handle the flexibility that v8 and prior provided (dual apps etc). In order to fulfil their fake FSD promises on older mcu they had to detireorate the os and thus we have this shitshow. I still regret the day I updated from v8 thinking of getting some cutting edge software :rolleyes:

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA and StarLog
I think Tesla is fully aware that v9 is a shitshow based on all the complaints we have seen here. But they also know that mcu1 can't handle the flexibility that v8 and prior provided (dual apps etc). In order to fulfil their fake FSD promises on older mcu they had to detireorate the os and thus we have this shitshow. I still regret the day I updated from v8 thinking of getting some cutting edge software :rolleyes:
Me too. In my opinion, V9 is inherently dangerous because of all the menu diving needed. A UI for cars needs to be usable with only a glance. Even if Ives likes all grey so studying the display is required to determine what to press, that's exactly the opposite of what's needed while driving. V6 was actually the best UI, and it's been going downhill ever since. (Note: Just the UI, the Apps have improved tremendously).

Me too. In my opinion, V9 is inherently dangerous because of all the menu diving needed. A UI for cars needs to be usable with only a glance. Even if Ives likes all grey so studying the display is required to determine what to press, that's exactly the opposite of what's needed while driving. V6 was actually the best UI, and it's been going downhill ever since. (Note: Just the UI, the Apps have improved tremendously).
agree 100%.

the Nielson/Norman Group's assessment is spot-on. IMO it shows clearly that Tesla's UI designers are thinking more about style & trends in smartphone UI than about what car drivers need - further evidence that those developers probably don't even driven the car (have never driven??)

examples:
"When soft buttons are hidden under menus, selecting them involves multiple touchscreen interactions, and thus even more time and attention. And, in a car, time spent with the UI is time spent ignoring the road."

"... Yet, Model S’s controls are placed at the very bottom of the 17” screen — an area that is next worst possible (after the right edge of the screen)."

...plus so many more things the NN Group point out. The article should be required reading for Tesla UI engineers - and anybody sending Tesla complaints about the UI should probably also link to it

What I want to know is how long did they have to look for to find a screen without yellow borders for the photos ;)

Sometimes I do wish our cars had physical buttons for some functions though, because a software update can't move physical buttons around on you just when you get used to it.

• Funny
Reactions: re04586
It appears that the interns writing the UI haven't been supervised due to other, to Tesla more important, issues.

The relationship between Papa S and Mama X started getting stale, so they decided to add a new addition; little baby 3 (aka Cousin Oliv3r).

Oliv3r is sooo cute, but requires a lot of time and constant attention.

Mama X is tired these days... doesn't care about her interface appearance anymore, just throws on dull grey active-wear over her formerly colorful maps... she really needs a 'refresh'.

Papa S is now working overtime to pay for Oliver's large financial burden... he's updating his traffic maps 20,000 times a minute trying to get to work; exhausted on the way back... he tries to fit in a few 'micro-naps' while cruising on NoA.

Meanwhile Oliv3r, loves when Uncle Elon comes over... they like to watch Yo Gabba Gabba for hours and play with fart Apps. Oliv3r always asks Uncle Elon why he smells so weird.

images
180907100732-elon-musk-smokes-marijuana-podcast-1-large-169.jpg

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: P85_DA and am_dmd

Looking back at version 6, the user interface was beautiful.

I think Tesla is fully aware that v9 is a shitshow based on all the complaints we have seen here.

But does Tesla read these forums? Maybe they're not aware.

With all the negative feedback they've gotten, why have we had to put up with it for so long?

How do you know Tesla got negative feedback about version 9? Tesla probably don't read these forums so our complaints are not seen.

Gawd... I miss v6 or whatever version this is in the article referenced above!!

The year is 2013... and even from this distance and at this resolution of a thumbnailed sized screenshot of a picture taken from the article... with my reading glasses OFF...

...I CAN SEE that the suspension is on highest setting and that passenger seat warmer is dialed up only to two bars ... AT A GLANCE!!

Please bring back a visible UI please please please please

Capture 1.PNG

OTOH, how many people thinking about buying a Tesla won't because of the stupid UI? Or the obverse, if they spent time and money on a combination of fixing the UI and avoiding dumb regressions/interactions, how many more cars would they sell?

Tesla has no competition at all currently so they have no incentive to do anything about such issues, so what ever happens, happens.

OTOH, how many people thinking about buying a Tesla won't because of the stupid UI? Or the obverse, if they spent time and money on a combination of fixing the UI and avoiding dumb regressions/interactions, how many more cars would they sell?

Tesla has no competition at all currently so they have no incentive to do anything about such issues, so what ever happens, happens.
Yeah, but it's one of the reasons I won't buy another Tesla. Companies survive on repeat business. And there's an old saying from marketing 101: it costs 10x as much to acquire a new customer than to retain an old one.

As a company that relies on user recommendations, they should do all that they can to no alienate the user base.

I think the problem is; they're spending time and money making the UI worse. It doesn't make much sense to remove functions and functionality...

Unfortunately, I fear their excessive pride and self-confidence will quickly become their greatest weakness in spite their initial overall strength in many areas.