Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla “Model P” – a compelling case for Model S in Police fleets

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Old thread brought back to life...
we are not figuring that Tesla could build a stripped down model
back in the day ,the old Plymouth and Fords were not lux sedans. A lot of extras can be cut.
Big battery, heat & A/C,and the computer tweaked for police work is all that has to be kept. Bet Tesla could produce a Police special for under $60,000
also don't forget that Auto Tranny ,fuel problems etc. are some of the reason for the flat bed trips too.

Well, the stripped down model will be the Model E really. The Model S doesn't really have a lot of lux features to strip. They are going to get their costs down by better supplier agreements over time.

Potential downgrades:
1) cheaper wheels?
2) seats? they seem pretty low end now..
3) cheaper speakers... it seems they can't eliminate them due to the features of the car, like warnings and phone integration

Honestly there aren't a lot of extra doodads. Am I wrong?

Well, the stripped down model will be the Model E really. The Model S doesn't really have a lot of lux features to strip. They are going to get their costs down by better supplier agreements over time.

Potential downgrades:
1) cheaper wheels?
2) seats? they seem pretty low end now..
3) cheaper speakers... it seems they can't eliminate them due to the features of the car, like warnings and phone integration

Honestly there aren't a lot of extra doodads. Am I wrong?

What they could do is replace the standard 19" display and hardware with a special police console saving the cost of the extra communication gear.

I have to think hardware wise the touchscreen computer is already cheap relative to special police stuff. Also the car doesn't work without it so its kind of a no go.

And as I said in the op I think a police app ( and taxi dispatch) could be developed once they release the Dev kit. That would be optimal for cost.

There is a trend to have more and more aluminum in the composition of cars.
Ford did announce that it will use it for the F-150 pickup, for example.
Body shops will develop expertise to repair aluminum vehicle bodies, which will lower
repair costs.

I agree that we are in the transition period from steel to aluminum, but I do think that
it will become a mainstream choice with the higher CAFE standards.

Francois
B2653

- - - Updated - - -

So to cap this thread a bit. I think I missed 2 factors that make the case weaker: 1) the cars would be made heavier by extra gear, guns, lights etc. 2) they probably get banged up enough that the 20k disposable nature is a feature not a defect. But, the next time I chat with my cop uncle I will grill him about gear weight and accident rates. I suspect both are being overblown here, but I have no facts for that.

But, change "police" to "taxi" fleet and it gets interesting. The problem is that the charging switchover of 1-2 hours (ignoring SC/swap potential) is problematic. I suspect that cab drivers idle slightly less than cops. So then they would wear down their range in the middle of a shift and be down making no money for a charge time.

The very first Tesla TAXI has started operating in Quebec city, Quebec, Canada last week.
There are some Tesla limo services in America, but it's the ONLY model S WITH a taximeter.
The owner says that he usually idles around lunch hour (12h). He did install a Clipper Creek 80 Amps 240V EVSE
at home, with a dedicated electric meter that permits him to claim his recharging costs in his operating expenses.
His first day of work, he did as posted there: http://instagram.com/p/lOsn53Pqtg/
His quote:
"This is why I bought a Tesla for being
@TeslaTaxi: $184 on taximeter + $31 tip - $6 electricity =in my pocket "

It will be interesting to follow him on his journey, on:
http://roulezelectrique.com/category/chroniques/chronique-taxi-electrique/

Francois
B2653

necrobump.jpg

Welcome to the Forums, though! And thanks for using the search function and not starting a new thread!

Cops don't need options like autopilot or premium upgrades etc so we can talk about base model prices too which bring down the costs significantly. police stations can install their own superchargers as well if they need be.

Tesla Motors have demonstrated BATTERY SWAP capabilities built in since the first Model S hit the pavement
therefore it is a non-issue

yeah but this was abandoned due to impracticality. The goal is to make supercharging even faster.

we are not figuring that Tesla could build a stripped down model
Take out the rear seats and put in plastic bench ( many have this)
Light rubber flooring (no carpet)
Potential downgrades:
1) cheaper wheels?
Not sure what you mean. Wheels and tires on PD's are usually stronger and wider
touchscreen computer

Would need maybe a wireless keyboard (writing reports on that touchscreen would be very slow and uncomfortable)

The higher cost of repairing aluminum panels and frame could be tough on police department budgets. Cruisers take a lot of physical abuse.
The first cop to damage the car would be paying with "days" penalized :)

Very good analysis by austinEV. I work in a small PD and we have had Chevy Tahoe's for many years now. EVERY single one up to the 2015 Tahoe's have had a transmission replaced at 50k miles. It became a running joke whenever one came upon 50k that the tranny would soon be shot. Several engines have been replaced as well. Before that were the Ford Crown Vic's. A reliable gas guzzler
. You are correct in your assertion regarding idle time. Yes constant,irregular patrol is a rule to work by but, the reality is idling time for paperwork, rest, keeping the car warm or cool etc......probably has the car idling more than 2/3 time. Many PD's are running 24 hrs. but there is time for charging with a supercharger. On a hot day I would have mine running a full 12 hours whether I was in it or not. I made a door key just for this reason so I could lock it. Very wasteful! This PD has a fleet of maybe 18 patrol vehicles, not counting detectives etc....We don't lose many to bad accidents often, thank God. Small suburban department with plenty of traffic so high speeds are not "usually" a factor. Sh*&%$ happens :)
I can see the first few being purchased at , let's say 60k and the hand wringing over it's condition. :) Not unlike many of us do on our own cars. One factor I did not see mentioned was the low seats. I'm used to the Tahoe and love it. Any questions i'm happy to answer them. I have been a cop here for 27 years and counting. :)

• Informative
Reactions: kevinf311