Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla 14-50 Adapter and NEMA 14-50 Wall Socket Don’t Seem Compatible

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just make sure that the ground pin's orientation meets you specific needs for installing the Tesla Mobile Connector or other EVSE. There are two other possible orientations beside ground pin up and ground pin down; my NEMA 14-50 receptacle is oriented so that the ground pin is at the 3 O'clock position.

I have one appliance, a compact washer and dryer made in Italy, that has the ground pin oriented at the top of the molded plug. I have the ground pin oriented up on the outlet to align with the plug. If all 120V power plugs were made this way then it would become common to always install receptacles with the ground pin at the top.

This replacement right-angle plug is pictured with the ground pin down, but the diagram has the ground pin up. Hilarious.

The Google Image search results have them in all directions. Ground up, down, left, right, and even some 45 degree rotation plugs.

And then of course there are plugs with rotating heads, infinity angle!

The situation of multiple orientation plugs first became a concept to me when I first saw a right angle IEC C13 cord. "BRILLIANT!", I thought. "This will help me get this computer pushed closer to the wall!" But no! It was angled the opposite direction I needed. And thus began the hunt to collect all directions of IEC C13 plugs so that I'd have them in my nerd toolkit.

Just wondering, has anyone used an electrical stove cable to make the tesla wall connector have a NEMA 14-50? CERTIFIED APPLIANCE ACCESSORIES 4 ft. 10/4 4-Wire Eyelet 40-Amp Range Cord-90-2060 - The Home Depot

That's rated at 40 Amps. I would not use that, even though it seems quite tempting. It uses 8 and 10 AWG wire.

This one is rated at 50 Amps and uses 6 and 8 AWG wire.

To answer your actual question, though, I have not but that seems a banger of an idea! Save a lot of trouble on fitting the plug on the wire. I'm not sure those wire rings are beefy enough, though. What do the terminals in the Wall Connector look like? It might be better to remove the rings and go straight to bare wire.

Just wondering, has anyone used an electrical stove cable to make the tesla wall connector have a NEMA 14-50? CERTIFIED APPLIANCE ACCESSORIES 4 ft. 10/4 4-Wire Eyelet 40-Amp Range Cord-90-2060 - The Home Depot
Some have added a plug to the Tesla Wall Connector. Note that this is not allowed per the national electrical code (NEC). Add a power plug to electrical equipment that the manufacturer has specified as requiring hard wired installation is not in compliance with the NEC.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Some have added a plug to the Tesla Wall Connector. Note that this is not allowed per the national electrical code (NEC). Add a power plug to electrical equipment that the manufacturer has specified as requiring hard wired installation is not in compliance with the NEC.

I did not realize that was the circumstance. I thought they did not require it to be hardwired. In fact, they used to sell it with a NEMA 14-50. But no longer do.

What's the rule about dishwashers then? I've seen both hardwired and connected trough an outlet. More of the former than the latter

What's the rule about dishwashers then? I've seen both hardwired and connected trough an outlet. More of the former than the latter
You would have to consult the installation manual for the dishwasher for the proper installation instructions. I would agree that most home dishwashers are designed to be hard wired to a dedicated 20A circuit.

Last edited:
Getting off topic here, but what you'll often see here in Texas is a dedicated circuit for the dishwasher ... but not quite dedicated. They often include the sink disposal on that circuit too. The theory being that you don't run the disposal much or for a long time

With the increased sophistication (power draw) of newer appliances, you'll also see dedicated circuits for fridges and even microwaves now too

(though I suspect this isn't just Texas)

Getting off topic here, but what you'll often see here in Texas is a dedicated circuit for the dishwasher ... but not quite dedicated. They often include the sink disposal on that circuit too. The theory being that you don't run the disposal much or for a long time

With the increased sophistication (power draw) of newer appliances, you'll also see dedicated circuits for fridges and even microwaves now too

(though I suspect this isn't just Texas)

Even with copper prices being at an all time high, it's still a tiny amount of money in the grand scheme to not have all those appliances on dedicated circuits. It's builder greed and laziness that they pair things up.

FWIW, that outlet in that picture is actually upside down. The ground is supposed to be on the top. With it that way, the mobile connector will not hang straight down, and you will have to do something to support its weight.

A lot of people install them that way because they are used to the ground pin being at the bottom on a regular household outlet.

Its much better if its installed this way:

View attachment 734527
"The Ground goes on the bottom!!" I can hear my high school shop teacher yelling. I'm afraid if I put the ground at the top, he will jump out of his grave and slap me on the head (not an uncommon practice in the early 80's)... :)

• Funny
Reactions: jjrandorin
The ground up thingy is just common sense.
Every outlet in my house (with the exception of the 14-50 I took a picture of above, and the ones specifically installed that way to denote they go to a light switch) is "ground down". Its been that way in every house / apartment I have ever lived in in Southern California, and I am born and raised here, and have moved something like 27 times, all within southern california.

All outlets always look like "little faces" with the ground on the bottom if they are 3 prong outlets, so "ground on top" looks wrong even though either way is to code.

The reason to put the ground up is to prevent accidents in case something falls in the contacts. It's kind of new (last 30 years or so) and it is more common in the eastern border. I has been seeing in new constructions since the 90s. In my homeland (Puerto Rico) is even weirder. Receptacles are installed horizontally. With the ground prong to the right. And yes, Puerto Rico has the same electrical system as the rest of the US.

The electrical code allows to the receptacles to be installed in any direction as long it is wired correctly. So it does not matter.

In my opinion, it makes sense for safety to put the ground up.

While a metal cover plate could drop down while being installed and contact a hot connection you should not attempt to remove or install the cover plate without first turning off the power at the circuit breaker. Also, there is no way to install or remove the cover plate without first removing any plugs from the receptacle. Once the power plugs are unplugged from the receptacle if the plate were to slip down while being removed or installed there would be no way the plate could contact the exposed prongs of a plug.

Seriously though ... how many (conductive) things are likely to "fall on the contacts"?

...and if they do, and they touch both, they'll trip the breaker

and if the plug is all the way in, then there's nothing to touch anyway -and if it's not, you have a bigger problem on your hands

I'm sorry but I'm calling bogus on this