Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla 14-50, at the campground...ack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
for the most part you will only likely use the 5-15 and 14-50 adapters.
I'd highly recommend the 5-20 adapter as well. On two occasions now we've rolled into national park campsites where the 14-50 receptacle is out of service, and that household outlet becomes the lifeline. Neither are great, but there's a significant improvement to using the 5-20 over the 5-15, particularly if leaving electrical loads on overnight (climate, sentry, etc).

I'd highly recommend the 5-20 adapter as well. On two occasions now we've rolled into national park campsites where the 14-50 receptacle is out of service, and that household outlet becomes the lifeline. Neither are great, but there's a significant improvement to using the 5-20 over the 5-15, particularly if leaving electrical loads on overnight (climate, sentry, etc).
Absolutely. 14-50 and 5-20 are my camping standard set. The 5-20 is used the most, and is much faster than the 5-15 (more than 33% faster because it takes a relatively fixed amount of power to run the car while charging regardless of charging speed).

The 5-20 is used most because my camper uses the 14-50. If we need to charge in a hurry, we can plug the camper into the 30 amp and use the 14-50 for the Tesla.

Reactions: Physicslawyer
We made it to the campground. We brought the MYP and our Prius Prime. The campground has a 50A, 30A, and two regular household outlets (they told me they didn't have them, but they are here).

I bought the Tesla 14-50 adapter at the service center. I took it out of the box for the first time today. I also got a 15A to 30A adapter from Harbor Freight for the Prius, which we didn't need since they have two household outlets.

Anyway, I have no idea what is going on with the other end of the Tesla 14-50 adapter. It doesn't seem to fit anything! I plugged the Tesla charging cord into the 15 to 30A adapter and plugged that into the 30A outlet. The car says that it is charging at 12A and it will take 11 hours and 30 minutes to go from 234 miles to 286 (100%).

I supercharged before getting here, so we have enough charge to get back to the Supercharger, which is 30 miles away. This is not an emergency, thankfully, but we had planned on going to WV and using their 50A, and there are no Superchargers. I'm happy to find out here that I have a problem instead of the middle of nowhere!

I left the car in camp mode since we have a 12V cooler in the sub trunk. We bought the Alpicool K25, which fits perfectly in the sub trunk. I have the sub trunk opened a few inches to vent. It worked great going from PA to OH. We plugged it into the room at the Airbnb we got (to have somewhere to go besides the back of the car!). It's been working out so far.

I'm getting 0 miles per hour.

Does this charge rate seem correct at 30A??

Any idea what is on the other end of the Tesla 14-50 adapter?

Pictures attached!! Thanks all!!
I take it there were no issues with the Prius ? Best peace of mind of any vehicle.

These are the four adapters you need for your mobile charge cord. From left to right. And their max charge currents and volts.

14-50. From tesla. 32 amp 240 v.
5-15. From Tesla. 12 amp 120 v
5-20. From Tesla. 16 amp 120 V
TT30. From EVSE adapters. 24 amp 120 v.

CFB075F9-D67B-46C5-9889-F877789B4D82.jpeg

12000 ish kilometres camping across Canada experience. Yep, been there. 😊

1C65103D-DACF-4B6A-8A3C-466AD869B024.jpeg

These are the four adapters you need for your mobile charge cord. From left to right. And their max charge currents and volts.

14-50. From tesla. 32 amp 240 v.
5-15. From Tesla. 12 amp 120 v
5-20. From Tesla. 16 amp 120 V
TT30. From EVSE adapters. 24 amp 120 v.

View attachment 833814

12000 ish kilometres camping across Canada experience. Yep, been there. 😊

View attachment 833815
We were able to get a 15A to 30A from Harbor Freight. That's what I originally used when I at first couldn't plug in the 14-50. How is the TT30 different? I was going to order the TT30, but EVSE were out of stock.

How do you like your camper? Which one is it? We looked at the mini max, but it was really small.

We were able to get a 15A to 30A from Harbor Freight. That's what I originally used when I at first couldn't plug in the 14-50. How is the TT30 different? I was going to order the TT30, but EVSE were out of stock.

How do you like your camper? Which one is it? We looked at the mini max, but it was really small.
The TT30 tells the charge cable (EVSE) that it is a 30 amp outlet and that 24 amps can be drawn. If you just use a hardware store converter the EVSE just sees 120 volts and assumes only 15 amps is available and limits to 12 amps. Using the TT30 adapter from EVSE adapters doubles you charging speed.

We love it and we travel a lot in it. It is a T@B 400 non Boondock. (Boondock is too high).

The TT30 tells the charge cable (EVSE) that it is a 30 amp outlet and that 24 amps can be drawn. If you just use a hardware store converter the EVSE just sees 120 volts and assumes only 15 amps is available and limits to 12 amps. Using the TT30 adapter from EVSE adapters doubles you charging speed.
Yes! That is exactly what happened. I was charging at 0 to 1 mph! Good point. When the 30TT is back in stock, I will get one. Would tbT be 2 mph though? Here is what we were getting at 12A.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220727-164710_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20220727-164710_Tesla.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 64
In addition to all of the great info @Webeevdrivers has posted, I'll throw in a caution that you still have to keep track of loads when using adapters of any kind.

I've seen TT-30 (plug) to 5-20 (receptacle) adapters that are only rated at 15A.
There are TT-30 to dual 5-20 adapters on the market - which would be a significant overload if both 5-20 receptacles were used at their capacity.
I've even seen TT-30 to dual 5-20 adapters that are marked for loads greater than 30A!
And there are extension cords with 5-15 plugs on one end and 5-20 receptacles on the other.

So while the short charge cables on the Tesla charger will set the max current automatically, the RV world for whatever reason seems to be a minefield of "just make it work" adapters that can get you into trouble. And the Tesla chargers, as smart as those plug dongles are, can't protect you from everything. So just be aware of what you plug into what, and which part actually determines the maximum safe current limit.

Would tbT be 2 mph though? Here is what we were getting at 12A.
It would be more.

Remember that the "mph" section of your charge status screen is showing how much energy is going into the battery, not how much you are pulling through the cord. Some of that 12A is going to running the computers, the climate system, the battery coolant pumps, the things plugged into your 12V sockets, etc. So what is left (in your case, very little) is what is going into the battery and giving that 0-1 mph of charging.

Going from 12A (5-15) to 16A (5-20), the whole extra of that +4A would be going into the battery pack, as the extra loads are already accounted for.
Going from 12A (5-15) to 24A (TT-30), the whole extra of that +12A would be going into the battery pack.