Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla 2015 Model S retrofit LED headlights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
see below

Attachments

• c.jpg
    c.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 258
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 184
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 189
All, finally have my appointment (today) with Hames to install my headlights from my OEM facelift 2012 Model S to the 2016-2020 refreshed headlights. In theory, my 2012 will have the look of the 2020 body and headlights. I will keep you posted. Work being done in Los Angeles area. As he explains it, there is no emulator, but rather, a few wiring changes, and a software update. I'm still not clear on this and I will get details. If true, I would prefer a wire change and software update vs. a relay or emulator that can go bad. This would seem to be a reliable retrofit as it uses OEM headlights with only wiring and software changes. I had a really bad experience with a prior upgrade with Vision Auto Labs that have failed multiple times without any real help from Evan Patak who sold me those lights, which to-date, do not work right. So here I go again taking another risk. Wish me luck!

• Informative
Reactions: Krash
All, finally have my appointment (today) with Hames to install my headlights from my OEM facelift 2012 Model S to the 2016-2020 refreshed headlights. In theory, my 2012 will have the look of the 2020 body and headlights. I will keep you posted. Work being done in Los Angeles area. As he explains it, there is no emulator, but rather, a few wiring changes, and a software update. I'm still not clear on this and I will get details. If true, I would prefer a wire change and software update vs. a relay or emulator that can go bad. This would seem to be a reliable retrofit as it uses OEM headlights with only wiring and software changes. I had a really bad experience with a prior upgrade with Vision Auto Labs that have failed multiple times without any real help from Evan Patak who sold me those lights, which to-date, do not work right. So here I go again taking another risk. Wish me luck!
Quick update, met with Hames and he furnished and installed the 2016-2020 headlights on my 2012 Tesla Model S. Everything works and Hames indicated to me that these headlights will be more reliable than some of the other alternatives that uses an emulator. As explained to me, he obtains the OEM lights with a module (not emulator) that has a software modification done to it and the light is rewired to work with the 2012-2015 model year Model S. Bottom line, the lights were plug and play ready. I had Hames install the lights for me. Before the installation, we tested the lights to see that they work. Basically, we unplugged my old headlamp and plugged the new headlamp to the car. Worked flawlessly so Hames proceeded with the installation which took 45 minutes while my daughter and I went grocery shopping. I did not take photos since it looks exactly like the lights on a 2016-2020 Model S, except they were on my 2012. Since my 2012 Model S has an OEM refresh, my car looks precisely like a 2020 Model S. Lights are the same brightness, high beams work the same, and left and right turn signals worked flawlessly. Thus far, this is a solid retrofit solution. These lights are less bright than the unreliable lights I received from Vision Auto Labs, however, I am glad to replace those with the standard OEM from Tesla which are much brighter than my original Tesla headlamps that came with my car. I will post a review after a few months to check in regarding the reliability of these lights.

Reactions: Krash
Quick update, met with Hames and he furnished and installed the 2016-2020 headlights on my 2012 Tesla Model S. Everything works and Hames indicated to me that these headlights will be more reliable than some of the other alternatives that uses an emulator. As explained to me, he obtains the OEM lights with a module (not emulator) that has a software modification done to it and the light is rewired to work with the 2012-2015 model year Model S. Bottom line, the lights were plug and play ready. I had Hames install the lights for me. Before the installation, we tested the lights to see that they work. Basically, we unplugged my old headlamp and plugged the new headlamp to the car. Worked flawlessly so Hames proceeded with the installation which took 45 minutes while my daughter and I went grocery shopping. I did not take photos since it looks exactly like the lights on a 2016-2020 Model S, except they were on my 2012. Since my 2012 Model S has an OEM refresh, my car looks precisely like a 2020 Model S. Lights are the same brightness, high beams work the same, and left and right turn signals worked flawlessly. Thus far, this is a solid retrofit solution. These lights are less bright than the unreliable lights I received from Vision Auto Labs, however, I am glad to replace those with the standard OEM from Tesla which are much brighter than my original Tesla headlamps that came with my car. I will post a review after a few months to check in regarding the reliability of these lights.
But what happens when the led eyebrow fails which is a known issue with the newer headlights? I too had the headlights upgraded but I use an emulator. My first set of 2016+ headlights failed (they were version D) and I just installed a new set (version G) which is the newest version and supposed to have fixed this issue. Curious as to what happens if you choose to go the hardwire route, did he verify that he has Version G headlights? Or are they complete aftermarket headlights?