Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla 2016 Model X MCU2 Upgrade or HW3 (UNITED KINGDOM)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I have a 2016 Tesla Model X P90D with MCU1 and HW2.0. I also have Enhanced Autopilot
This means that I apparently don't have Sentry Mode or Dashcam

However, I CAN turn on Sentry Mode in the car, when you touch it when its locked it pops up on the screen saying that it's recording and that Sentry has been activated but there's no way of viewing the sentry footage or using the tesla dashcam.

If I were to upgrade to MCU2, I believe to the best of my understanding that this would cost me £1700
If I were to want to get the HW3. I believe that I'd have to go into the app and purchase FULL SELF DRIVING, for £3,400 and go to a Tesla Service Centre to get the HW3 FOR FREE??

Please can someone advise me for the best option to take and how much everything would potentially cost to get everything up to date on my tesla. I heard that getting the FSD Computer without the MCU2 upgrade would slow down the computer loads which I really don't want.

But what happens if I get the MCU2 upgrade whilst keeping the HW2.0? Are there any drawbacks?

Thanks

ALSO, This is incredibly important, if I were to upgrade to EITHER of these computers, would I lose my Free Supercharging for Life.
(by the way this supercharging is transferrable to different owners of the car which is how i have the free supercharging because i bought the car second hand)

The MCU2 upgrade INCLUDES the HW3 autopilot computer. This will enable features you currently don’t have like instrument cluster visualizations, proper sentry mode recording, dash cam, etc.

While the hardware is included, you would still need to buy the full self driving software package to enable any additional FSD features (right now that amounts to basically nothing over the enhanced autopilot features you already have).

Neither upgrade has anything to do with your free supercharging status.

Reactions: Bigriver
I've had the upgrade done in the UK and the previous post is correct. Don't get fsd because in the UK it does little extra (well it does auto set off at traffic lights). Just get the mcu upgrade for £1700 or whatever it costs now, and you're good to go. Supercharging perks are not affected.

Even in the US, Enhanced Autopilot includes most of the features currently provided by the FSD option, so there’s little reason to buy that option if you’re getting HW3 anyway. Upgrading the hardware has no impact on free supercharging. You can always buy FSD later if you feel it’s worthwhile.

Reactions: Art VandeIay
Several people have indicated that MCU2 comes with HW3. That has been reported in the wild, but wasn't always the case and may not be guaranteed. If you got MCU2 without also receiving an AP HW upgrade, you still wouldn't have dashcam/sentry recording. That having been said, I believe that HW2.5 was required for MCU2, and if that is correct, then purchasing MCU2 should certainly give you what you want as others have advised, even on the off-chance that you don't get the FSD computer.