Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla 2016 model x versus 2020 model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
this site has the info as varies

Supercharging
Good to know. First time I saw that link. Thanks for posting. Although price doesn't affect me or you, I thought that 28 cents per KWH is a bit steep for most parts of the USA, yet not too much compared to home rates in some of the cities in California and other places where PGE used to rob me on electricity rates. When I need to charge at home up here in Sparks, it is 9 cents. So now that you pointed out this link, I am even more inclined to not trade in my X with free supercharging unless something changes in this regard.

Reactions: P85_DA
do u think they could run some promotion again in the future and bring it back
They do periodically over the years ..I would say your needs dictate if the free charging is worth it ...for me personally I drive a lot and I absolutely love the free supercharging ;) ...for normal commuting I’m sure home charging is fine and the cost for infrequent long trips would be negligible..but yah 200 miles will not cost you $10 prob a little more :p

, I dont know how much a 28 cents per KWH means for 200 miles, but it seems like a lot.
That's a good question. Let's assume for the sake of illustration that your car uses an average of 300 WH per mile; obviously it can be higher or lower depending on a LOT of variables. 200 miles would be 60 KWh (300 * 200) so doing the math, 28 cents per KWh would cost you about $17. Again, just a general example. Your math will vary :) I hope my math was correct during my brain strain phase.

• Helpful
Reactions: P85_DA and mohanman
They do periodically over the years ..I would say your needs dictate if the free charging is worth it ...for me personally I drive a lot and I absolutely love the free supercharging ;) ...for normal commuting I’m sure home charging is fine and the cost for infrequent long trips would be negligible..but yah 200 miles will not cost you $10 prob a little more :p
I really like this answer. Hits the nail on the head. As you say, depends of driving. $10 is peanuts if not charging often nor driving a lot. For me, I drive coast to coast at least once per year and lots of 1,000 mile trips in between. A coast to coast trip and back home saves me $460 in electricity cost with free supercharging for just that one trip.

Reactions: P85_DA
not to divert away from the original topic (we already know the newer is better) but the real elephant in the room is phantom drain. free supercharging is the only real way to take advantage of electric car range. losing 10-15 miles of range due to phantom drain is like an ICE car dripping half a gallon of gas per day. it makes no sense. heck yea i feel entitled to get that back from the supercharger. i would be pissed to spend 20 bucks to supercharge and have half of it gone after a week just because it was just sitting there.

Tesla has removed free supercharging from all of it's used and inventory cars for sale, they did that about a month ago so I think that ship as sailed for good, but I was waiting them to run a promotion as well but doubting that will happen unless the sales market tanks.