Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla 2018 models not yet eligible for California CVRP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got a 2018 Model 3! Unfortunately I can't apply for the California rebate yet -- the VIN wasn't accepted and failed the online validation check. I inquired via email and got this response from the CVRP staff ...

Thank you for your email. The Tesla 2018 models are not currently eligible for the rebate. The Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) must submit an application to the California Air Resources Board (CARB) to be considered for eligibility in the Clean Vehicle Rebate Project (CVRP). Once the OEM has applied and if the CARB has approved the vehicle, it is added to the list of eligible vehicles on the CVRP website. I recommend reaching out to the manufacturer to inquire if they have submitted an application for the 2018 Tesla Model 3 to be included in CVRP, and encourage you to keep checking our list of eligible vehicles for updates.

I haven't followed up with Tesla, though -- I'm assuming they know or are getting a lot of inquiries already about this issue.

• Informative
Reactions: gene
The delay gives everyone more time to think about the rebate and how it can affect the HOV sticker.

Model 3: The death of carpool lane plate issuance coming soon?

There is this misconception being spread about the new sticker program I keep correcting. You need to meet an income limit to get the CVRP rebate (300K married, 150K single) and that's been true for a couple years. If you are below that income limit you can get both the CVRP rebate and the carpool stickers. Above that income level and you aren't eligible for the CRVP program. The new sticker law contains a clause that says that if a new rebate is issued to somebody who is above the income level allowed for a rebate (by fraud?) then they've forfeited eligibility for getting a sticker. But there's no choice involved between the two.

• Helpful
Reactions: Mark Z
There is this misconception being spread about the new sticker program I keep correcting. You need to meet an income limit to get the CVRP rebate (300K married, 150K single) and that's been true for a couple years. If you are below that income limit you can get both the CVRP rebate and the carpool stickers. Above that income level and you aren't eligible for the CRVP program. The new sticker law contains a clause that says that if a new rebate is issued to somebody who is above the income level allowed for a rebate (by fraud?) then they've forfeited eligibility for getting a sticker. But there's no choice involved between the two.
The other corner case is a car that was issued a rebate prior to the income limits, but never applied for a decal. If they now apply for a decal, they could be denied.

Nope, it only applies to rebates issued in 2018 or later.

But the ARB site now reads (emphasis added by me):
Effective January 1, 2018, the Department of Motor Vehicles cannot issue a CAV decal to an applicant who has received a consumer rebate through the Clean Vehicle Rebate Project (CVRP), nor can an applicant participate in both the CAV Decal Program and the CVRP unless income restrictions are met.

How do you interpret the wording "has received a consumer rebate"? Does it mean if you have ever received the rebate anytime in the past, even back in 2013, you are now disqualified from the HOV sticker?

But the ARB site now reads (emphasis added by me):
Effective January 1, 2018, the Department of Motor Vehicles cannot issue a CAV decal to an applicant who has received a consumer rebate through the Clean Vehicle Rebate Project (CVRP), nor can an applicant participate in both the CAV Decal Program and the CVRP unless income restrictions are met.

How do you interpret the wording "has received a consumer rebate"? Does it mean if you have ever received the rebate anytime in the past, even back in 2013, you are now disqualified from the HOV sticker?

What counts is what the law says, which is (emphasize also added by me):

(b) (1) The department shall not issue a decal, label, or other identifier to an applicant who has received a consumer rebate pursuant to the Clean Vehicle Rebate Project, established as part of the Air Quality Improvement Program pursuant to Article 3 (commencing with Section 44274) of Chapter 8.9 of Part 5 of Division 26 of the Health and Safety Code, for a vehicle purchased on or after January 1, 2018, unless the rebate was issued to a buyer whose gross annual income falls below one hundred fifty thousand dollars ($150,000) for a person who files a tax return as a single person, two hundred four thousand dollars ($204,000) for a person who files a tax return as a head of household, and three hundred thousand dollars ($300,000) for a person who files a joint tax return.

Reactions: xanatos
What counts is what the law says, which is (emphasize also added by me):

(b) (1) The department shall not issue a decal, label, or other identifier to an applicant who has received a consumer rebate pursuant to the Clean Vehicle Rebate Project, established as part of the Air Quality Improvement Program pursuant to Article 3 (commencing with Section 44274) of Chapter 8.9 of Part 5 of Division 26 of the Health and Safety Code, for a vehicle purchased on or after January 1, 2018, unless the rebate was issued to a buyer whose gross annual income falls below one hundred fifty thousand dollars ($150,000) for a person who files a tax return as a single person, two hundred four thousand dollars ($204,000) for a person who files a tax return as a head of household, and three hundred thousand dollars ($300,000) for a person who files a joint tax return.
Awesome, that clarifies it, thank you. No more worrying!