Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla 2021 Australian Supercharger Rollout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Karuah cannot be compared to a 1000 person town 500km away from a city. kurarah is basically newcastle.
Um, no, it isn’t. It’s 53 km away. The residents of Karuah would be offended at the suggestion that they are “basically Newcastle”!

Anyways, you said “whatever the town” you didn’t qualify that it had to be 500km away from the next population centre.

Um, no, it isn’t. It’s 53 km away. The residents of Karuah would be offended at the suggestion that they are “basically Newcastle”!

Anyways, you said “whatever the town” you didn’t qualify that it had to be 500km away from the next population centre.

I dont think you seem to understand what rural australia means. Clearly NOONE here would classify a town which has a 350kw charger being 50km away from a 400k town as a rural. It has full access to a huge grid.

Yeah, I get demand charges and why the electricity companies charge them. This presents a prime opportunity for Tesla to use their Powerpacks to smooth demand. Considering the Superchargers are rarely full, or even half full, A single Powerpack per install or a couple for the larger 8 or 10 stall Superchargers would significantly mitigate the demand charge. Based on Powerpack's specs of 130kW continuous output and 232kWh storage, one Powerpack could potentially more than halve a 4 stall Supercharger's grid demand.

Tesla has mentioned using energy storage to supplement their Superchargers in the past. Do we have any evidence they are doing this yet?
Agree Totally!!!!!
What is the cost of a powerpack, compared to 2 120 kW chargers and DC cabinet?

i like technerds idea but i dont think this will ever happen as tesla gambles on the superchargers being in regular use in i.e. 10 years so auxillary battery pack wouldnt be that helpful. Even though right now it would be amazing. I.e. combine a 50kw charger with an old SR+ battery pack to enable supercharging speeds on the "50 kw" charger. Once the car leaves it will then recharge the old SR+ battery.

But I don't think that would fit with Teslas (or any other companies) business concept.

i like technerds idea but i dont think this will ever happen as tesla gambles on the superchargers being in regular use in i.e. 10 years so auxillary battery pack wouldnt be that helpful. Even though right now it would be amazing. I.e. combine a 50kw charger with an old SR+ battery pack to enable supercharging speeds on the "50 kw" charger. Once the car leaves it will then recharge the old SR+ battery.

But I don't think that would fit with Teslas (or any other companies) business concept.

I thought Supercharger V3 includes some batteries and that helps with areas when the grid connection is not high enough capacity.

That is also the reason why tesla are more likely to pair solar with Supercharger V3.

When we get Megacharging, that is even more reason to use solar and batteries.

The next logical step is using Autobidder to buy and sell electricity at good prices.

My other hunch is that truck drivers might book a Megacharge and the electricity might remain reserved in the battery, the service is then guaranteed even if the grid goes down, or the driver can be informed well in advance. This also means at any time Tesla knows what electricity is surplus.

They will use regular Powerpacks and Megapacks, for example I think Supercharger V3 sites include Powerpacks.

If I am wrong about this, it would be good to know.,

Reactions: David Sowden