Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla 2022 Model 3 Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Neither are great tires. The Michelins are slightly better but not enough to make a big deal about it. It’s a wear item and you’ll replace them soon enough. If you really cared then you should replace either set with something much better straight away.

Hankook tires are OEM for many “expensive”brands like Mercedes, BMW, Audi. Including high performance BMW ///M and Audi RS models and the flagship Mercedes S class that can easily double or triple the price of a Model 3.

Neither are great tires. The Michelins are slightly better but not enough to make a big deal about it. It’s a wear item and you’ll replace them soon enough. If you really cared then you should replace either set with something much better straight away.

Hankook tires are OEM for many “expensive”brands like Mercedes, BMW, Audi. Including high performance BMW ///M and Audi RS models and the flagship Mercedes S class that can easily double or triple the price of a Model 3.
one data point... BMW i4 and iX are being delivered with the Pirelli P Zero AS Elect from factory.

and yes - Mercedes got a lot of crap in forums for using Hankooks on the S-class... but in their defense they are heavily modified and likely a marketing stunt for Hankook.

The switch from Michelin ($$$) to Hankook ($) is 100% cost cutting...

no. it's not. I could have driven my MXM4s to ~30k miles and still be more than the wear bars. The Hankooks are cost cutting measures and let's not sugar coat it. They are over $100+ cheaper/ tire on aftermarket and likely even much more at factory. In the tire manufacturer hierarchy Hankook doesnt even make the Top 5... that would be Michelin / Pirelli / Conti / Goodyear / Bridgestone ...

So you are taking a single data point (yourself) and extrapolating that out to everyone? I wore my 18" MXM4's out in 13k miles. Does that mean they all wear out in 13k miles? No. I've replaced literally dozens of sets of the 18" Michelin's and they typically average between 15k and 25k miles. Does that mean people can't get more than that - of course not. But it's certainly not the average.

I'm not sure what you have against Hankook. They make some really great tires. The evo3 and RS4 come to mind. Without doing back to back testing in a controlled environment you are just making a bunch of assumptions about both of these tires.

Last edited:
Reactions: E90alex
Supply issues most likely. Even in the aftermarket a lot of tires are back ordered or unavailable. If it cost cutting was the primary driver they would switch the majority to Hankook but it seems most are Michelin with a sprinkling of Hankook.

But again, it’s something easily changed if it matters that much to you compared to say premium vs global matrix headlights that you’re stuck with forever.

Yeah, because the world isn't full of supply chain issues today, and all Hankooks are crap despite them having the #1 ranked Extreme Performance Tire on Tire Rack and having tons of highly respected tires.
The world is complex.

but in their defense they are heavily modified and likely a marketing stunt for Hankook.
Says the person that didn't know there were five versions of the Hankook Kinergy GT in 235/45/18 one with foam while telling everyone they didn't come with foam.

• Love
Reactions: MasterC17
Yeah, because the world isn't full of supply chain issues today, and all Hankooks are crap despite them having the #1 ranked Extreme Performance Tire on Tire Rack and having tons of highly respected tires.
The world is complex.

Says the person that didn't know there were five versions of the Hankook Kinergy GT in 235/45/18 one with foam while telling everyone they didn't come with foam.

This is a great point. Tesla is building more Model 3's than ever. It makes sense they would need a second tire supplier.

So you are taking a single data point (yourself) and extrapolating that out to everyone? I wore my 18" MXM4's out in 13k miles. Does that mean they all wear out in 13k miles? No. I've replaced literally dozens of sets of the 18" Michelin's and they typically average between 15k and 25k miles. Does that mean people can't get more than that - of course not. But it's certainly not the average.
I rotated the tires recently at around 6,500 miles. OEM tire was the Michelin Primacy MXM4 that started with 8/32" thread.

Before rotating, the rear tires had 7/32" tread, while the front tires had 8/32" tread. So if I do not rotate the tires, it looks like it would take about 25k miles for the rear tires to wear down to 4/32" tread (when it would be a good idea to replace if there is significant wet weather) and 37k miles to wear down to 2/32" tread (legal minimum). With rotating the tires, it looks like it will take around 50k miles to get down to 4/32" tread and 75k miles to get down to 2/32" tread.

Am I that much of an outlier?

I rotated the tires recently at around 6,500 miles. OEM tire was the Michelin Primacy MXM4 that started with 8/32" thread.

Before rotating, the rear tires had 7/32" tread, while the front tires had 8/32" tread. So if I do not rotate the tires, it looks like it would take about 25k miles for the rear tires to wear down to 4/32" tread (when it would be a good idea to replace if there is significant wet weather) and 37k miles to wear down to 2/32" tread (legal minimum). With rotating the tires, it looks like it will take around 50k miles to get down to 4/32" tread and 75k miles to get down to 2/32" tread.

Am I that much of an outlier?

IMO, there is absolutely no way you are going to get 50k or 75k miles out of this tire. Just keep an eye on them and see how it goes and report back. All I'm sharing is what I've seen on other cars. FWIW, I'm basing replacement on when the tire crosses under 3/32nds.

@3sr+buyer I got 25k miles on the Michelins on my Model 3. Wear was pretty even 2/32 - 3/32 on all four (I do my own tire rotations every 5k).

the first 1,000 miles on the new Pirelli Elects, i have slightly lower w/m energy consumption and my subjective is the Pirelli is better road handling. I did one dumb highway speed swerve, some heavy rain driving, 2-lane mountain pass driving since installing the
Pirellis. Pirelli for the win. Michelin OEM...no thanks. Michelin Pilot AS, sure, i'd buy a set.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
lol im happy when i got 2500 and 3500 miles respectively out of my HK RS4 and GY F1 Supercar tires, and the upgrade to square 265 MPS4S still blows me away....

ill be ecstatic to get 8k out of the Michelins...which is the best summer tire you can possibly buy for a daily.

Pirelli or Conti ... no cost cutting
Cost is not the only measure of quality or performance. If it was, I could claim that you were just "cost cutting" by buying a Model 3 instead of a Model S ;)

Ironically for your argument, Tesla did go from Michelin to Pirellis on the M3P and lots of people don't like them at all. I bet they'd much prefer some of Hankook's offerings over the Pirellis.

I still don't know why you have such a negative perception of Hankook. They are built in South Korea, which, quite frankly is manufacturing a lot of high quality stuff these days.
I agree that Hankook makes some great tires. Maybe they could have been considered a lower tier manufacturer 15-20 years ago but definitely not now.

Having said that this Hankook does not seem that great based on reviews. The Michelin is also far from best in class though.

Reactions: tm1v2
The Michelin MXM4 seems focused on efficiency, very good for that, and is also pretty quiet at least with the Tesla-spec foam liner, but that's it for good attributes. Wear seems fine but nothing record-setting for a non-performance allseason. Handling and road feel are very poor, dry and especially wet. I had little confidence in emergency maneuvers with the MXM4. Actual hard driving? Forget it, not good or enjoyable at all.

Sure maybe the Kinergy GT is even worse, or maybe it's less efficient, but honestly I'd want to swap out either tire right away. (I haven't used the Kinergy GT, but I've read enough to be confident in that statement.)

The Michelin MXM4 seems focused on efficiency, very good for that, and is also pretty quiet at least with the Tesla-spec foam liner, but that's it for good attributes. Wear seems fine but nothing record-setting for a non-performance allseason. Handling and road feel are very poor, dry and especially wet. I had little confidence in emergency maneuvers with the MXM4. Actual hard driving? Forget it, not good or enjoyable at all.

Sure maybe the Kinergy GT is even worse, or maybe it's less efficient, but honestly I'd want to swap out either tire right away. (I haven't used the Kinergy GT, but I've read enough to be confident in that statement.)
So what do you recommend ?

So what do you recommend ?
Well depends on your weather, and if you have freezing weather do you want a year-round allseason or separate summer/winter tires, how much you're willing to trade tread life for better performance, etc...

My experience with recent allseasons is also limited. For a long time now I've mostly used summer tires, and when I had real winters, I used separate winter tires (preferably on separate wheels). But that doesn't mean an allseason is wrong for everyone or every situation, sometimes they're the best option.

We have some non-performance allseasons on our Model S right now that still perform way better than the MXM4 did, better grip and road feel dry and wet, much better driving confidence. However they're a bit loud on the highway so I hesitate to recommend them, though it's very possible what we're hearing is from a mechanical issue like that car's bent wheels (yes seriously, and don't ask, they are holding air just fine tho and no vibrations), haven't isolated it to the tires.

Our M3P has been strictly on summer performance tires. :) If we ever take it in the snow I'll get separate winter wheels + tires for it...which could be snow-friendly allseasons, or real snow tires, TBD depending on planned use / circumstances.

Edit: Basically I have enough experience to say I really don't like the MXM4 (did try them once on our S, never again!), and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like the Kinergy GT either. But unfortunately I'm not the best to give advice on better non-performance-focused allseasons.

Now if you want performance tires, i.e. you're willing to give up some tread wear for that, let me know...

Reactions: Bouba
Well depends on your weather, and if you have freezing weather do you want a year-round allseason or separate summer/winter tires, how much you're willing to trade tread life for better performance, etc...

My experience with recent allseasons is also limited. For a long time now I've mostly used summer tires, and when I had real winters, I used separate winter tires (preferably on separate wheels). But that doesn't mean an allseason is wrong for everyone or every situation, sometimes they're the best option.

We have some non-performance allseasons on our Model S right now that still perform way better than the MXM4 did, better grip and road feel dry and wet, much better driving confidence. However they're a bit loud on the highway so I hesitate to recommend them, though it's very possible what we're hearing is from a mechanical issue like that car's bent wheels (yes seriously, and don't ask, they are holding air just fine tho and no vibrations), haven't isolated it to the tires.

Our M3P has been strictly on summer performance tires. :) If we ever take it in the snow I'll get separate winter wheels + tires for it...which could be snow-friendly allseasons, or real snow tires, TBD depending on planned use / circumstances.

Edit: Basically I have enough experience to say I really don't like the MXM4 (did try them once on our S, never again!), and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like the Kinergy GT either. But unfortunately I'm not the best to give advice on better non-performance-focused allseasons.

Now if you want performance tires, i.e. you're willing to give up some tread wear for that, let me know...
At the moment my Made in China M3LR has factory spec Michelin Pilot Sport 4 ZR18 on aero wheels....I quite like them, but I don’t push them to the limit...it’s hot here in the South of France 😎 but in winter it is a legal requirement to have winter tires when visiting many areas of France...in all my previous ice cars I always had a set of either winter (snow and mud) tires or a set of winter tires with rims

Last edited:
At the moment my Made in China M3LR has factory spec Michelin Pilot Sport 4 ZR18 on aero wheels....I quite like them, but I don’t push them to the limit...it’s hot here in the South of France 😎 but in winter it is a legal requirement to have winter tires when visiting many areas of France...in all my previous ice cars I always had a set of either winter (snow and mud) tires or a set of winter tires with rims
Tesla-spec PS4 sound like a great option for you and your driving, I'd suggest just continuing with them as long as you're fine with switching wheels/tires for winter trips if needed. That's pretty great Tesla gave it as the factory tire on your base aero wheels! Here in the US they never give performance tires on those wheels that I've seen.

Michelin announced the PS5 recently, I believe it's a direct successor to the PS4 (*not* to the PS4S). If it's available when your PS4 wear out might be worth trying, Michelin is of course claiming it's an upgrade in every way.

On the other hand, probably you won't be able to get it with a foam liner like your current Tesla spec tire. I've never used the same exact tire with and without the foam liner, so I'm not sure how much difference it really makes, but my experience across 3x kinds of Tesla OEM spec tires (Michelin PS2, Michelin MXM4, Pirelli PZ4 - all foamed lined) is they do tend to be quiet tires for their categories...whether thanks to the foam liner I can't say, but probably it helps some.

Reactions: Bouba