Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla 2022 Model S and EVgo Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are several EVgo chargers in my area and I am curious to know whether they are compatible with my 2022 MS. I see that there's a CHAdeMO Adapter for EVgo which leads me to believe that the J1722 would not work here. If a CHAdeMO Adapter is needed for EVgo chargers, where are they best purchased and what do they cost? Is this adapter being phased out and what replaces it?

And is the J1772 adapter compatible with ChargePoint and PlugShare chargers? Does the CHAdeMO work there?

Thanks.

Which adapter you will need depend upon the charger and what type of plug it has. You can't necessarily define that by a given network.

There are many ChargePoint chargers which I have used that are set up for J1722 connections, so you can use them with the J1722 adapter which you have. However, that does not mean there are not some other ChargePoint chargers which might be CCS or possibly CHAdeMO.

Plugshare is not a single network, but a site that will show you charging locations across many networks, including ChargePoint, EVGo, and event Tesla Superchargers. What you need to do is look at the details of the specific location, see what type of connectors they list, and then that will determine what type of adapter you will need. You can do this on Plugshare by clicking on the specific location and pulling up the details to see number of stations and types of connectors. Some will show multiple types. For example, your location shows as Rancho Mirage, CA. I just glanced at Plugshare and happened to pick the EVGo chargers shown at Ranch Las Palmas shopping center. These shows as having both CCS and CHAdeMO connectors. Going forward I expect it will become CCS to be the most prevalent, so if I were to invest in a single adapter, I'd likely opt for a CCS adapter (just my opinion).

Reactions: Mr. Jetson
Upvote 0
Which adapter you will need depend upon the charger and what type of plug it has. You can't necessarily define that by a given network.

There are many ChargePoint chargers which I have used that are set up for J1722 connections, so you can use them with the J1722 adapter which you have. However, that does not mean there are not some other ChargePoint chargers which might be CCS or possibly CHAdeMO.

Plugshare is not a single network, but a site that will show you charging locations across many networks, including ChargePoint, EVGo, and event Tesla Superchargers. What you need to do is look at the details of the specific location, see what type of connectors they list, and then that will determine what type of adapter you will need. You can do this on Plugshare by clicking on the specific location and pulling up the details to see number of stations and types of connectors. Some will show multiple types. For example, your location shows as Rancho Mirage, CA. I just glanced at Plugshare and happened to pick the EVGo chargers shown at Ranch Las Palmas shopping center. These shows as having both CCS and CHAdeMO connectors. Going forward I expect it will become CCS to be the most prevalent, so if I were to invest in a single adapter, I'd likely opt for a CCS adapter (just my opinion).
Thank you for the effort you put into your reply, including looking at my location. I am still a bit unclear about whether with EVgo I can use my J1772 adapter with a CHADeMo or CCS adapter or if they are all meant to be used independently with the charging station depending upon which that station is equipped with. (I called EVgo and got the impression that they may have all adapters at a location or, if not, that the J1772 fits into the CHAdeMo....???). Which is compatible with the Tesla MS? Is it the CCS Combo that is the best bet after the J1772?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No, those are all non-combinable adapters. You would need a CHADeMO or CCS1 adapter for your Tesla. If the station has a J1772 connector, you would need that adapter. I think Tesla recently discontinued the CHADeMO adapter, and the CCS adapter is coming shortly. I would recommend having a J1772 and a CCS1 adapter.

Reactions: BCCA
Upvote 0
Thank you for the effort you put into your reply, including looking at my location. I am still a bit unclear about whether with EVgo I can use my J1772 adapter with a CHADeMo or CCS adapter or if they are all meant to be used independently with the charging station depending upon which that station is equipped with. (I called EVgo and got the impression that they may have all adapters at a location or, if not, that the J1772 fits into the CHAdeMo....???). Which is compatible with the Tesla MS? Is it the CCS Combo that is the best bet after the J1772?
CCS is better than CHADeMo but the adapter is not in the US yet. A bunch of us ordered it from a Korean shipper. Everyone had flawless service and they arrived in about 10 days Get your Tesla's CCS1 Adapter From Korea!
Not familiar with the 2022 S but some models/runs didn't have compatibility with CCS so check before you order any adapter.

1656285808154.png

Reactions: Mr. Jetson
Upvote 0
No, those are all non-combinable adapters. You would need a CHADeMO or CCS1 adapter for your Tesla. If the station has a J1772 connector, you would need that adapter. I think Tesla recently discontinued the CHADeMO adapter, and the CCS adapter is coming shortly. I would recommend having a J1772 and a CCS1 adapter.
I don't know. I was just talking about Model S. I updated my post.
Thank you for the clarification, @DerbyDave and @OliverM3. So, the conclusion would seem to be that I cannot use the EVgo chargers without the CCS1 or CHADeMo adapter and the latter is being phased out. I wonder why the EVgo rep said they are compatible with Teslas without qualifying. Maybe some have the J1772? Also, any info on CCS2...is that arriving soon and worth waiting for?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I hope I can add some clarity.

Chademo, CCS, and J1772 are all physically different connectors - like USB-A, USB-C, and Apple Lightning. One of these cannot be plugged into a port designed for one of the other two - they are shaped completely differently - and none of them are compatable with a North American Tesla port without an adapter.

Our Teslas come with a J1772 adapter, allowing you to plug our vehicle into a charger with a J1772 plug. To get Chademo compatibility you need an after-market Chademo-to-Tesla adapter. To get CCS compatibility you need a CCS-to-Tesla adapter.

I would use the PlugShare app to determine which type of plug(s) the specific EVgo location provides. My guess is that they offer CCS (as that is the coming standard) and possibly Chademo (as that standard is used by a small number of EVs, but is being phased out).

Just as important as the type of plug is whether your specific vehicle is equipped to make sense of an adapter, be it Chademo or CCS. I am unfamiliar with Model S capabilities and restrictions, but until recently Models 3 and Y needed a hardware upgrade to be able to use CCS adapters at all. Those that CAN use them have that fact shown in the Additional Vehicle Information screen referenced previously in this thread.

Bottom line - If you know or can confirm that your Model S will work with a CCS adapter, then that's the one you should consider getting IF you want to charge from non-Tesla and non-J1772 sources. I would not bother with a Chademo adapter due to their high price and to their coming obsolescence.

Good luck.

PS to the above.... CCS-1 is the adapter style used in North America and Korea. CCS-2 is used in Europe. If getting a CCS adapter, get CCS-1.

Upvote 0
I hope I can add some clarity.

Chademo, CCS, and J1772 are all physically different connectors - like USB-A, USB-C, and Apple Lightning. One of these cannot be plugged into a port designed for one of the other two - they are shaped completely differently - and none of them are compatable with a North American Tesla port without an adapter.

Our Teslas come with a J1772 adapter, allowing you to plug our vehicle into a charger with a J1772 plug. To get Chademo compatibility you need an after-market Chademo-to-Tesla adapter. To get CCS compatibility you need a CCS-to-Tesla adapter.

I would use the PlugShare app to determine which type of plug(s) the specific EVgo location provides. My guess is that they offer CCS (as that is the coming standard) and possibly Chademo (as that standard is used by a small number of EVs, but is being phased out).

Just as important as the type of plug is whether your specific vehicle is equipped to make sense of an adapter, be it Chademo or CCS. I am unfamiliar with Model S capabilities and restrictions, but until recently Models 3 and Y needed a hardware upgrade to be able to use CCS adapters at all. Those that CAN use them have that fact shown in the Additional Vehicle Information screen referenced previously in this thread.

Bottom line - If you know or can confirm that your Model S will work with a CCS adapter, then that's the one you should consider getting IF you want to charge from non-Tesla and non-J1772 sources. I would not bother with a Chademo adapter due to their high price and to their coming obsolescence.

Good luck.

PS to the above.... CCS-1 is the adapter style used in North America and Korea. CCS-2 is used in Europe. If getting a CCS adapter, get CCS-1.
@DrWhoDey You certainly did add clarity and I appreciate your help and that of the others.

Reactions: DrWhoDey
Upvote 0