Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla 21' Arachnid Wheel Advice Needed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I just got a call from my local Tesla shop in Massachusetts saying that my 21' Silver Arachnid Wheels I got from the referral program have arrived. I was hoping to get some advice from people who have both these 21' Arachnid wheels (or similar), as well as the normal 19' Slipstream wheels that come with the car (2017 Model S 100D). I like the 19' Slipstream just fine, and like not having to drive 45-60 minutes to my "local" Tesla service station to swap out wheels a couple of times a year. But the 21' look sweet. What are the advantages of the 21', other than looking cool? Is there a value add that I should be aware of with the 21's? I'm just wondering if I should definitely keep these awesome looking tires, or just sell them. Advice is appreciated! Thanks!

I put the idea of buying slipstreams out of my mind once I put the new arachnids on my car after having 21 inch turbines... I feel this way because the steering feel is better and you can feel how light the wheels are simply by turning the steering wheel left and right (you probably won't be able to tell if you are going from 19 inch wheels... but the arachnids are so incredibly light and look fantastic. I'm convinced the efficiency is comparable to the slip streams, especially if you get all 4 tires in the same width... which I don't know if that is possible, but it seems like it should be. The tires seem louder at lower speeds even with the same tire as the turbines... acoustic michelins To me, that is the only reason I would stick with the 19's at this point... that and cost, perhaps curb rash though its nice that the rims are so hard because I don't worry about them bending.... I had this happen with the turbines with what must of been a very large pothole.. The arachnids are fantastic though.

Does anyone have the weights of the 21" arachnid vs. the 19" wheels?

Congrats OP. If you have the same tires on both wheels, I doubt you'd be able to tell a significant difference if it was truly a blinded test.
Tires will cost a LOT more too.

Does anyone have the weights of the 21" arachnid vs. the 19" wheels?

Congrats OP. If you have the same tires on both wheels, I doubt you'd be able to tell a significant difference if it was truly a blinded test.
Tires will cost a LOT more too.

First tests with Tesla’s new lightweight Arachnid wheels on a Model S P100D

After being among the first Tesla owners to receive the new forged aluminum Arachnid wheels, DragTimes performed a few tests and weighed them in comparison to the original 21″ Turbine wheels. The result is about 34 lbs weight reduction and no tire spin, but also no noticeable performance spec improvements.

After weighing the wheels, Brooks from DragTimes figured that the forged instead of cast wheels save 10 lbs per wheel in the back and 7 lbs in the front. It also saves a few pounds versus the stock 19″ wheels. The tires that come with the new Arachnid wheels are Michelin’s Pilot Supersport.

Brooks did a quick 0 to 60 mph acceleration test and unsurprisingly, the difference isn’t big enough to have an affect. It came in at 2.42 seconds, which is in line with what Tesla advertises since the new Ludicrous+ update

The 21″ custom Arachnid wheels are offered in black, silver or grey, and they come with summer performance tires and installation when winning them through the referral program. They are made of forged aluminum and lower the total weight. The front wheels are 51.8 lbs, while the rear wheels are 53.9 lbs.

Reactions: aus and Scoopa
WOW. 52 and 54lbs each wheel??
Those are anchors!! That means the 21" turbines are 60 lbs??!!!!
I can't imagine the 19" wheels weigh that much.

For track wheels, we always try to go with a smaller wheel because metal is heavier than more than rubber.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
WOW. 52 and 54lbs each wheel??
Those are anchors!! That means the 21" turbines are 60 lbs??!!!!
I can't imagine the 19" wheels weigh that much.

For track wheels, we always try to go with a smaller wheel because metal is heavier than more than rubber.
Re-read the Electrek article ... the 21" Arachnids are lighter and stronger than the 19" wheels :cool:

• Informative
Reactions: MelaniainLA
Very similar to the turbines except for weight. Won't get curbed if you know how to park. I've got over 16K miles on my 21" turbines and the tread is less than half gone.

I know how to park..the significant other though.... no so much. How did you get 16k and only at half thread? I hear that replacement is needed around that mileage. That’s what keeping me back from upgrading. New tires every year would not be fun

• Funny
Reactions: MelaniainLA
Arachnids are 7 lbs less than the 21" turbines, I think 29 lbs vs 36 lbs.
Tesla 21″ Arachnid Wheel Specifications
  • Size: 21X8.5″ front, 21X9.0″ rear.
    Offset: +40 front, +40 rear
    PCD: 5X120
    Center Bore: 64.1mm
    Weight: 20×8.5″ = ~26.6 lbs. (without tire), 20×9.0″ = ~28.5 lbs. (without tire)
  • The front wheels are 51.8 lbs., while the rear wheels are 53.9 lbs. with tires
  • Wheels are 8.6 lbs lighter in front and 9.5 lbs in rear wheel for a total reduction of 36.2 lbs of unsprung weight
  • compared to the 21" Turbine wheels (which are $6,000 in the Tesla Store).
  • Lug Nut Spec: 13/16 Hex, 14X1.50 Thread
    Lug Nut Torque Spec: 129 lb-ft.
    Price: $ 7,600.00 - NLA
    Details: This wheel is not available when ordering a Tesla Model S.

Last edited:
Reactions: aus
Tesla 21″ Arachnid Wheel Specifications
  • Size: 21X8.5″ front, 21X9.0″ rear.
    Offset: +40 front, +40 rear
    PCD: 5X120
    Center Bore: 64.1mm
    Weight: 20×8.5″ = ~26.6 lbs. (without tire), 20×9.0″ = ~28.5 lbs. (without tire)
  • The front wheels are 51.8 lbs., while the rear wheels are 53.9 lbs. with tires
  • Wheels are 8.6 lbs lighter in front and 9.5 lbs in rear wheel for a total reduction of 36.2 lbs of unsprung weight
  • compared to the 21" Turbine wheels (which are $6,000 in the Tesla Store).
  • Lug Nut Spec: 13/16 Hex, 14X1.50 Thread
    Lug Nut Torque Spec: 129 lb-ft.
    Price: $ 7,600.00 - NLA
    Details: This wheel is not available when ordering a Tesla Model S.

Is that a typo where after "Weight" where it says 20x8.5 and 20x9.0?
Isn't it a 21" wheel?
Thanks for the info.