Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla 3 battery dead beyond repair at delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the evening before my scheduled delivery, I received a phone call letting me know there was a problem During preparation of my vehicle and they would not be able to make the scheduled delivery appointment. So after a few days it turns out that my high voltage battery pack is defective upon delivery from the factory to the delivery center. There was a Probpem with the brake light switch adjustments which kept the rear brakes on during the trip from Fremont, this got the voltage of the battery packs below 2 volts and it is now un-recoverable and must be replaced.

They told me they will install a new high voltage battery pack and have the vehicle ready for delivery Monday 26th But after doing some research this seems to be a significantly larger repair and require disassembly of the interior of the vehicle full removal. So my question is what would you do? Take delivery of the vehicle or search for another Vin?

The shop told me six vehicles have come in this condition due to a misalignment of the brakes and the rear lights. They have done this repair only three times. I’m just worried about the car being a problem going forward, any advice would be much appreciated

Thank you

Jeff

So the evening before my scheduled delivery, I received a phone call letting me know there was a problem During preparation of my vehicle and they would not be able to make the scheduled delivery appointment. So after a few days it turns out that my high voltage battery pack is defective upon delivery from the factory to the delivery center. There was a Probpem with the brake light switch adjustments which kept the rear brakes on during the trip from Fremont, this got the voltage of the battery packs below 2 volts and it is now un-recoverable and must be replaced.

They told me they will install a new high voltage battery pack and have the vehicle ready for delivery Monday 26th But after doing some research this seems to be a significantly larger repair and require disassembly of the interior of the vehicle full removal. So my question is what would you do? Take delivery of the vehicle or search for another Vin?

The shop told me six vehicles have come in this condition due to a misalignment of the brakes and the rear lights. They have done this repair only three times. I’m just worried about the car being a problem going forward, any advice would be much appreciated

Thank you

Jeff

That is a drag. Damage happens during delivery with all cars and most buyers never know, so ignorance is bliss. Knowing this I would want another vin (higher not lower) if they can get it delivered by year end for the tax credit. Good luck.

That is a drag. Damage happens during delivery with all cars and most buyers never know, so ignorance is bliss. Knowing this I would want another vin (higher not lower) if they can get it delivered by year end for the tax credit. Good luck.

Thank you, sometimes I want a new Vin and other times I just want to let them make the repair and pick next Monday. I just don’t know what to do.

I have had good luck in Tesla fixing issues. Fortunately I have only had a few issues but they have always followed through.

They always fixed my S when it had Problem is, they replaced the charging unit and one of the drive motors without issues however this seems to be a significant disassemble of the vehicle at the repair shop. I just don’t know what to do , take delivery on this one after repair floor get back in line for a new Vin

...any advice...

There's no wrong answer. You just have to be aware of the pros and cons of each answer.

1) Take the defected car now:

Pros: $7,500 tax credit is secured. Tesla will fix the problems and everyone will be happy.

Cons: You might regret if future problems happen.

2) Get a replacement:

Pros: Avoid regretting taking the original car if there will be future problems.

Cons: The replacement car might arrive next year and your tax credit will be reduced to $3,750.

If I were you, I would get a replacement. By losing $3,750, that would buy me peace that I won't kick myself if there will be problems with the original car.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scott7 and dhrivnak
Thank you, sometimes I want a new Vin and other times I just want to let them make the repair and pick next Monday. I just don’t know what to do.

It's unfortunate and bad luck. But I think you have to consider if the repair and having the car right now is worth $3750. To build a new car, you just put pieces together. To disassemble a car that much, you have to remove pieces, find a place to put them somewhere and make sure they don't get damaged, fix the problem, put everything back together and be careful not to damage anything.

Shows battery disassembly. Not sure if the entire car had to be taken apart, but if they just need to drop the battery down then it's not too bad.

I’d let them replace the battery, if the plan is to put in a new battery and the rest of the car is in great shape.

They just have to take apart the rear seat and do some disconnection under there. From what I have read/videos it isn’t a big deal.

It is a concern that the HV battery is allowing itself to brick. It should be programmed to open the contactors and drop all the load.

Maybe something in transport mode?

It's unfortunate and bad luck. But I think you have to consider if the repair and having the car right now is worth $3750. To build a new car, you just put pieces together. To disassemble a car that much, you have to remove pieces, find a place to put them somewhere and make sure they don't get damaged, fix the problem, put everything back together and be careful not to damage anything.

Shows battery disassembly. Not sure if the entire car had to be taken apart, but if they just need to drop the battery down then it's not too bad.
I seen that video, there are three bolts in the center console from inside the vehicle that need to be removed. So the seats have to come out center console carpeting and rear seats. Then they drop it down.

I’d let them replace the battery, if the plan is to put in a new battery and the rest of the car is in great shape.

They just have to take apart the rear seat and do some disconnection under there. From what I have read/videos it isn’t a big deal.

It is a concern that the HV battery is allowing itself to brick. It should be programmed to open the contactors and drop all the load.

Yes the Brake light switch was not With adjusted properly and we kept the rear lights on I’m dropping the voltage below 2 v killing the hv pack.

That a great point , you would think the contact would’ve opened.

I'm not sure where you go that information, but this is incorrect. Tesla battery packs make up the base of the car and are designed to be easily removed and replaced from below.
Not on the model 3. , I spoke with the service manager and I’ve watch the videos online showing the disassembly in fact you have to remove 3 Botls in the center of the vehicle and then two more underneath the drivers feet from the inside and then you have to support the drive train in the rear end disassemble up at that point. Then you can drop it down

My truck had similar brake light problem. Ate batteries and bulbs before I figured it out.

can you tentatively agree to the car and re-inspect after the battery swap?
Yes I can opt out after inspection. Not sure what I would be looking for on the inspection, of course obvious physical damage scratches dirt or uneven still marks I could identified by the naked eye. But airlocks in cooling systems battery management package malfunction’s etc. I would not see it first

Thank you

Jeff

I would not take delivery of this vehicle

Ask them to find another VIN.

I had a delivery schedule September 29th. After waiting 3 hours the delivery person indicated my car was still in Baltimore even though trucking bill of lsden indicated it was transported to Mount Kisco.

It took a while to find the vehicle since it’s 12 volt battery used to power electronics was dead.

I told the sales person I wouldn’t take delivery of that car and they should find another VIN. Which to their credit they did and had another vehicle in 5 days.