Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla 3 isn't perfect, but after a full day rental this BMW driver is buying one!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hear this a lot from reviewers too, but my immediate response is always the same... you shouldn't be adjusting your mirrors while you're driving. It's unsafe in any vehicle and you're supposed to have adjusted that before the car is in motion since while you are adjusting the mirror you're looking at the mirror and not the road regardless of how you got to the controls.

The only time I've personally ever adjusted the mirrors while driving in any car was because some bright reflection was in my eye. It probably would have been no big deal for me personally to hit two buttons on a screen and use a scroll wheel to adjust the mirror a few degrees up or down to get the reflection out of my eyes. One might argue not having to look at controls at all would be easier, but meh, it's such a rare occurrence I don't think it justifies the added manufacturing complexity.

Who adjusts the mirrors while driving? You set them before you drive (very easy to do) and you’re done. Even if you need to adjust them while driving the scroll wheel on the steering wheel makes it quite easy (and safe) to do. No reaching for controls on the door panel or elsewhere: they’re under your thumb. This is a very stupid point of criticism by reviewers — IMHO undermines the credibility of whole review.

Who adjusts the mirrors while driving? You set them before you drive (very easy to do) and you’re done. Even if you need to adjust them while driving the scroll wheel on the steering wheel makes it quite easy (and safe) to do. No reaching for controls on the door panel or elsewhere: they’re under your thumb. This is a very stupid point of criticism by reviewers — IMHO undermines the credibility of whole review.

Here's the opinion of this stupid person.

I don't regularly adjust the mirrors when driving. However, the times I do need to do this, I need to do it pretty quickly.

A common reason I have needed to "on the fly" adjust my mirrors while driving (sometimes at high speed) is when a vehicle approaches and remains at a set distance at night and their headlights are glaring through the side mirrors affecting my ability to see the road.

Do you think you need physical seat adjustment controls in the car? Why wouldn't you be able to do those through the touchscreen as well and save Tesla another few bucks?

Here's the opinion of this stupid person.

I don't regularly adjust the mirrors when driving. However, the times I do need to do this, I need to do it pretty quickly.

A common reason I have needed to "on the fly" adjust my mirrors while driving (sometimes at high speed) is when a vehicle approaches and remains at a set distance at night and their headlights are glaring through the side mirrors affecting my ability to see the road.

Do you think you need physical seat adjustment controls in the car? Why wouldn't you be able to do those through the touchscreen as well and save Tesla another few bucks?
Note, Model 3 with PUP has auto-dimming side mirrors. (Although they are still being tweaked in software.)

You may be right in theory and in terms of the safest approach; but in practice, I think many people (myself included) adjust their mirrors on the fly....

I feel this is, like many other items, something that is not a terminal problem with the 3. I look forward to the day when virtually anything you do through the screen can be done via voice commands + the steering wheel controls. How hard will it be to say to my 3 "Hey Tesla, adjust left side mirror" and then the dials are the the two controls I need? Gotta be just a matter of time and some OTA updates.

I adjust the mirrors while I'm driving. It's pretty easy to do on the Model 3. Especially on the freeway when EAP is driving.

Not to be too much of a smart-ass, but let me proceed.

I know about all of those things. I spent an entire day with the car and learned all of the controls, menus, etc. I was also able to directly compare doing these things in my current car against the Tesla.

The Tesla is handicapped in certain areas and this is one of them. It is not easy or safe to make a mirror adjustment with the Tesla while the car is in motion. If I want to activate Siri with my BMW I hold a button on my steering wheel and talk to Siri. If I want to do this on the Tesla it is not possible.... I have to physically find my phone and hold a button to use voice control.

There are simply areas where Tesla has pursued cost savings to the detriment of the owner experience.... in my opinion.

I will say that using the center screen on the Model 3 was more enjoyable than I had thought it would be and I adapted to it very quickly, while still pining for just a few things that would make the overall experience superior and would have cost Tesla very little money.
I haven’t used a button to operate Siri in several years in or out of the car. iPhones don’t even have “buttons”

I haven’t used a button to operate Siri in several years in or out of the car. iPhones don’t even have “buttons”

That's interesting, because my iPhone X (might be confused but thought that was newest one?) has a button on the side that activates Siri.

My car has a button that activates Siri and this is quite useful since "hey Siri" often times doesn't work for whatever reason (phone might be in center console or my laptop bag or something) but the button on the steering wheel ALWAYS works.

Nice 1st post, welcome aboard!

1. The BMW has better seats, with more adjustments. .... really? I thought the power seats were quite good on both front seats... better than my EXV6 Accord, leather.

2. The BMW has a better interior, with much nicer materials. ...I thought equal or better than my Accord's leather.

My biggest gripe with the Tesla after our trip was the key card. It is horrible. ... I, and many others totally agree on this point.

Another poster, wanted voice control from the steering wheel...... Pushing the right button will bring up the microphone for voice activation.

I finally got the full Tesla Model 3 experience by way of a Turo rental. For anyone in the greater Denver area, I simply can't recommend this method enough for getting enough time behind the wheel to make a decision on such a big purchase. PM me if you want contact details and I'll provide them.

My family and I got to enjoy an entire day with the Tesla Model 3 and I got to basically back to back compare it in pretty much every aspect with my current car, a 2016 BMW 340xi.

When it comes to driver enjoyment, the Tesla exceeds the BMW in every way. Munich has to be scared right now, and understandably. The Tesla (other than from a full stop) accelerates much faster than the BMW, it handles better, it keeps the driver more engaged, and it is simply much more fun to drive.

The car is also simply gorgeous. A friend thought I had purchased a Porsche. I thought the limited rear visibility would bother me, but it did not. The backup camera works pretty well in most situations and I had no trouble fitting the car in my garage even though it's a bit wider than my current ride and the mirrors don't fold as tight to the body.

My 3 year old son just loved the view from the back seat with the huge pano roof. I would glance back at him and he was always looking all around at stuff he's never gotten to look at from any other car. At the end of the trip he kept going on and on about how much he likes the Tesla and kept asking "dad, when are you getting YOUR Tesla?" ;)

My wife also did a complete turn around. She went from being very skeptical of Tesla build quality, auto pilot safety, etc., to being completely sold on the car by the end of our time with it.

Coolest moment of the trip was driving into the small town of Morrison and having a couple of local Morrison cops ask me to roll the window down so they could complement the "cool car" and then giving my 3 year old son a junior police badge.

Yours truly is a pragmatic tough customer. I don't sugar coat things and the only mission I'm on is to get the best bang for my buck. I've driven some pretty nice cars (and motorcycles) over the last 20 years, so my standards are quite high.

There are some areas where the BMW exceeds the Tesla, but they aren't as many as I anticipated.

1. The BMW has better seats, with more adjustments.
2. The BMW has a better interior, with much nicer materials. My wife liked the modern design of the Tesla quite a lot but did concede that the materials didn't seem appropriate for a $50K+ car that was supposed to have "premium" interior upgrades.
3. The BMW has an infotainment system that better integrates with my phone (shows text messages on the screen for example)... newer models have Carplay.
4. The latest BMW models have inductive phone charging. For the life of me I can't understand why Tesla has opted to go with the plug in charging setup, which didn't work with either my wife or my phones when they were in their cases. Tesla really needs to remedy this ASAP.
5. The BMW has a few really superb "pet" features that I really like. One is surround view when parking which is perfect for parallel parking... I really wish Tesla would implement this using the cars cameras if such a thing is possible. Another one is the BMW has a comfort access feature that works much better than the Tesla including trunk access that is much better. The trunk will automatically open if you have the key and swipe your foot under the rear bumper... perfect for when your arms are loaded with packages or groceries.

My biggest gripe with the Tesla after our trip was the key card. It is horrible. I realize I wouldn't normally have to interact with the car this way, but how horrible for anyone who will let others drive their car regularly. I really hope Tesla contemplates adding a better method of access that doesn't rely on a smart phone.

So, the Tesla is not perfect, but it's just too fun to drive.. and the thrill of pulling into a supercharger stall and putting 100 miles of range back on the car in about 20 minutes. Wow. I can't even imagine what this will be like when next level superchargers arrive and this time gets even shorter.

Now this March 31st pre-order just has to wait for the invite to configure a dual motor car.
This is disappointing to me. I have a 2014 (bought new) BMW 535xd. My biggest complaint about it are the seats. I deliberately got the M Sport model as suggested by a BMW representative for the best seats (15way adjustable seats). If the seats in the Model 3 are not as good as in the BMW, that is not encouraging. A few weeks ago we went to the Tesla showroom place in Charlotte, Matthews, NC to test drive a model 3. Alas there was none. We did test drive a model S though and the seats are not fantastic. The best seats are in my 1987 Toyota Pickup truck...

This is disappointing to me. I have a 2014 (bought new) BMW 535xd. My biggest complaint about it are the seats. I deliberately got the M Sport model as suggested by a BMW representative for the best seats (15way adjustable seats). If the seats in the Model 3 are not as good as in the BMW, that is not encouraging. A few weeks ago we went to the Tesla showroom place in Charlotte, Matthews, NC to test drive a model 3. Alas there was none. We did test drive a model S though and the seats are not fantastic. The best seats are in my 1987 Toyota Pickup truck...

I should be more specific.

• BMW seats offer more range of adjustments.
  • BMW seats offer more side bolstering and on my seats the side bolstering is adjustable.
  • BMW seats offer a pull out thigh support on the model I have.
The Tesla seats are comfortable they just aren't as adjustable as the BMW ones. They are also softer and a little cushier, this is good or bad depending on your perspective.

I think that Tesla should offer actual sport seats in at least the Performance version of the Model 3 since that's what all their competitors do.

One thing the Tesla seat does have going for it is there is an adjustable seatbelt height anchor at the B pillar, BMW does not offer this on the current generation 3 series. This is kind of a big deal for shorter people (not me but a friend who rode with me was quite perturbed about it).

Reactions: Grossvater
I had the 535d with the m sport package, sports suspension and comfort seat package, I'm 6'1" and about 240lbs. so not svelte you might say, I never liked the comfort seats in the bmw, just could not get really comfortable in them on road trips, the 3 on the other hand is one of the most comfortable seats for me, not to soft, not to hard, just right on the support and while not as adjustable as the comfort seats on the bmw I have no problem finding the sweet spot, oh and also for me the seats in the s are not as comfortable

I had the 535d with the m sport package, sports suspension and comfort seat package, I'm 6'1" and about 240lbs. so not svelte you might say, I never liked the comfort seats in the bmw, just could not get really comfortable in them on road trips, the 3 on the other hand is one of the most comfortable seats for me, not to soft, not to hard, just right on the support and while not as adjustable as the comfort seats on the bmw I have no problem finding the sweet spot, oh and also for me the seats in the s are not as comfortable
Great! Good to hear.

I just finished reading this entire thread and found it a great read.

My only submission would be that I keep my MS P85D key fob in the money pocket of my trousers. The only time I ever actually touch it is when I change my trousers and it works wonderfully every time I approach the car. It cannot be forgotten because the car will ignore me if I do. That can only happen if I forgot to move it when I changed trousers and that has not happened in the 21 months of ownership.

If the phone option worked 100% of the time, and it was available for my car, I would be equally happy as I almost always have my phone with me. The times I have not had my phone were because I forgot it and, had my car ignored me, I would have gone back and got it.

So for me the key fob is great, until the phone app is perfect and available for my car.