Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla 3 isn't perfect, but after a full day rental this BMW driver is buying one!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Me too. Criticism will only make Tesla better. I've criticized Tesla a lot. That's not the problem. I just wish we could debate things openly and jokingly and when we read a title that so blatantly jumps out at some of us, we can call it out with our own views, and even a "no poop Sherlock", without being called hostile.

I did not have a problem with the title to this thread. He currently drives a BMW and for many, its BMW or nothing. The fact that he stated that he is a BMW owner and after driving a Model 3, he is sold on the car, to me, seems to be high praise to Tesla but thats just me.

Last edited:
they make cars, other than that they don't do anything for me.
Try solar and powerwall. This whole packaged experience might become more relevant, especially if the prices come down some. I wish they did fair priced home charging installations in all states, it's hard navigating electricians.
I haven't yet had time to validate powerwall, will pay off solar soon, then will look into it.
[/QUOTE]

when there is a flaw or something that they could improve on, he calls them out
It is kind of hard to question things on this forum. So many will hurry up to call you a short spreading FUD. I understand the shorts concerns (supposedly, they'll all burn in 3 weeks, so maybe they'll be less cause fo suspicions?).

Luckily, Musk slowly but steadily addresses many concerns that people raised and were bashed for on TMC. So, regardless of this over-protection, things get changed.

My expectation with Model 3 is that it will not require maintenance. Nissan accomplished that with its LEAF, nearly a decade ago. I bought a 2012 model LEAF, new on 12/30/11, and have thus far spent a grand total of $200 maintaining it (driver window switch five years in, 12v battery six years in, and a cabin air filter because I was feeling generous), and tires every ~30k miles (LEAF does seem to chew through tires at ~2x the speed of the related tire warranty...a problem more for the tire company than for me).

We already know it's not a zero maintenance car. Tesla says it needs brake fluid flushed at 2 years and battery coolant fluid at 4 years.

You can skip brake fluid swap (but I wouldn't advise it, you can stretch that awhile but there are consequences) but I would absolutely not skip the battery coolant... unless you want to degrade the performance of the most expensive component on the car to replace.

I suspect the "no ___ Sherlock" comment might be a colloquialism we Canucks use that is not used elsewhere. As a fellow Canuck I understood your meaning, but if you're not familiar with it, you can see how it might be interpreted as a hostile comment. Best we take Canuck at his word that no hostility was intended and move along. This thread is too interesting to let it get derailed by a perceived slight that was never intended to be a slight.

Sorry, that won't happen since there's no hostility at all. In fact, I put you in the same boat as my wife -- and I love her to death. I just think you have the same bias as she does, and many other BMW owners (or Mercedes or Porsche, etc.), and sometimes it takes me quoting your words back to you to show you that bias. To call that hostile might just be projection -- since I found your title quite hostile to Tesla, as if the 3 must meet perfection, like BMW. Actually, I found it funny, because what I quoted from you above is exactly how people like me took your title. And I didn't even have to tell you that, since you wrote it yourself above! -- so you must now admit it was hostile of you to raise the bar so high (or as high as it can possibly go) just for Tesla, right?

Yeah, I can't square this comment with your previous post;

Spoken like a true BMW owner: "Tesla's not perfect, but I'm buying one anyway." Thanks for educating us. Without you telling us this, we'd still be thinking Tesla was perfect -- when anyone with half a brain knows perfection rests only with BMW -- and they sure are close to perfect -- as my wife thought too. Now only if they will finally get on with building a fast charging network, and long range EVs like Tesla, since I couldn't care less about anything in a BMW that may beat out Tesla, as long as there's an ICE under the hood. To me, it's like comparing a really nice horse buggy interior, handling, etc. vs. a Model T. Yes, those old carriage makers sure did it well -- with a long tradition behind them, so perhaps using that analogy you can see why some of us have no interest in them -- perfection or not. I was so happy to kick my wife's BMW out the door.

If this isn't hostile, I don't know what is.... but we're just chuckling and having a good time discussing cars right? Because that's what I'd like to do here but it's nearly impossible because so many people are on a religious crusade about either EVs in general or Tesla specifically.

We don't all agree that all ICE cars are crappy relics, and need to be swept into the dustbin of history.... you are entitled to your opinion though.

That is a far inferior operation to simply walking up with a fob in your pocket. If you were having success with the phone key you wouldn't have turn your bluetooth off and on all the time.
Many people keep bluetooth turned off on their phones for many different reasons (mostly invalid reasons, but still). He never said that it was because he was having problems with the phone key.

That being said, I’m pretty sure everyone here knows your opinion of the phone key. Is there a reason you have to spam every post with your dislike of it?

My expectation with Model 3 is that it will not require maintenance. Nissan accomplished that with its LEAF, nearly a decade ago. I bought a 2012 model LEAF, new on 12/30/11, and have thus far spent a grand total of $200 maintaining it (driver window switch five years in, 12v battery six years in, and a cabin air filter because I was feeling generous), and tires every ~30k miles (LEAF does seem to chew through tires at ~2x the speed of the related tire warranty...a problem more for the tire company than for me).
I hope you’re correct, I fear you’re wrong...

Many people keep bluetooth turned off on their phones for many different reasons (mostly invalid reasons, but still). He never said that it was because he was having problems with the phone key.

That being said, I’m pretty sure everyone here knows your opinion of the phone key. Is there a reason you have to spam every post with your dislike of it?

I hope you’re correct, I fear you’re wrong...
I'm going to fork over the $ for the Model 3 maintenance mainly cause I really like the car and want to do what I can do limit battery degradation.

I suspect the "no ___ Sherlock" comment might be a colloquialism we Canucks use that is not used elsewhere. As a fellow Canuck I understood your meaning, but if you're not familiar with it, you can see how it might be interpreted as a hostile comment. Best we take Canuck at his word that no hostility was intended and move along. This thread is too interesting to let it get derailed by a perceived slight that was never intended to be a slight.

I'm familiar with the expression, a similar expression would be "no sh!t dumb&ss".

all ICE cars are crappy relics
I do wish we'd all stoped financing questionable regimes via oil use, stopped polluting the environment by switching to solar, and overall went on a sustainable path...Some not very pleasant things are in store for us in the not so distant future

Running out of food and water (looking forward to that algae snack: Is algae the food of the future?)

Flooding of coastal areas(check out the map)
Flooding could put millions of coastal properties at risk - CNN

Plastics in the ocean matching fish by weight by 2050. They kill marine animals, but also turn into micro plastics that we consume with seafood.
Coloful beaches where microplastics are components of the sand (today) - see @7:30
Not to mention, when I go to an ocean and do some snorkeling in any country, there's always plastics littering the ocean floor. I used to think this is local tourists are littering. No. That stuff is brought across thousands of miles. It's simply everywhere.

All of these problems need solved now, not some time later.

Musk's vision on the sustainable transport, commoditizing it, so that parking spaces can be recycled, reducing emissions and speading sustainable electricity and batteries to industrial applications are so much bigger than just switching an ICE for EV...
And who else is giving us a 2nd chance on Mars?;)

Reactions: Sean Wagner
I do wish we'd all stoped financing questionable regimes via oil use, stopped polluting the environment by switching to solar, and overall went on a sustainable path...Some not very pleasant things are in store for us in the not so distant future

Running out of food and water (looking forward to that algae snack: Is algae the food of the future?)

Flooding of coastal areas(check out the map)
Flooding could put millions of coastal properties at risk - CNN

Plastics in the ocean matching fish by weight by 2050. They kill marine animals, but also turn into micro plastics that we consume with seafood.
Coloful beaches where microplastics are components of the sand (today) - see @7:30
Not to mention, when I go to an ocean and do some snorkeling in any country, there's always plastics littering the ocean floor. I used to think this is local tourists are littering. No. That stuff is brought across thousands of miles. It's simply everywhere.

All of these problems need solved now, not some time later.

Musk's vision on the sustainable transport, commoditizing it, so that parking spaces can be recycled, reducing emissions and speading sustainable electricity and batteries to industrial applications are so much bigger than just switching an ICE for EV...
And who else is giving us a 2nd chance on Mars?;)

This thread is for talking about the totally cool Tesla model 3 and how it stacks up against another popular "luxury" sports sedan.

Maybe you should go talk to China about your concerns about the great pacific garbage patch;

plastic-ranking_1.jpg

If you don't like the horrible key card, you can always try the horrible phone key.
Seriously tesla needs to just offer a fob and end this madness.

And once a fob is available, the phone app needs to be updated so its ability to lock or unlock the car can be disabled. A fob won't be much good if the car refuses to lock after you get out because the phone is still in it.

And to answer a question I've seen, I never like to carry my phone (Galaxy S5) in my pocket. It's too big and uncomfortable, and it's nearly impossible to put it in or take it out of a pocket without pressing a button you didn't want to press, or your finger gets caught on the inside of the pocket when wearing shorts, and it drags the whole pocket inside out when trying to get the phone out.

Reactions: slipnslider
This thread is for talking about the totally cool Tesla model 3 and how it stacks up against another popular "luxury" sports sedan.

Maybe you should go talk to China about your concerns about the great pacific garbage patch;

plastic-ranking_1.jpg
All topics stop being informational after the 1st page, it's just chit-chat after that. But if you intend to preserve the purity of this topic and provide tons more of helpful information after page #8, good luck.

Re: China. When sea levels rise I sure hope we won't be counting on China or Indonesia to fix it, b/c they won't.
Quite often, the problem is solved not by the same guy who created it. I do support "The Ocean Cleanup" company, which tries to solve the ocean plastics issue. Hopefully, Musk can help CO2 and oil issues and bring closer the time when solutions can be exported to other countries.

"should go talk" btw is not much better than "No ____ Sherlock"

Reactions: Sean Wagner
With "more afraid" being the key words since "afraid" is already happening with S sales:
That there is the kiss of death. It's too bad really because the competition would be nice, but I've been saying that for so many years now, while BMW executives sit in boiling water promoting the ICE.

Another factor is that ICE makers are already having to do such ridiculous things with their engines and drivetrains (8, 9, and 10 speed transmissions) to wring every last drop of efficiency out of gasoline engines. and it still is nowhere near the cost per mile of electric cars, which are already ZERO emissions. Those gasoline engines can't get much better than they already are. Things like V6 diesels, turbo fours in pickups, the end is near.

plastic-ranking_1.jpg
Off topic, but China does all of our recycling. At least until they implemented the National Sword program this year. Their numbers are about to drop significantly. And our plastics are headed for Indonesia and the Philippines, who will be the next to demonize for a problem where we are at the source.

It’s an expression here in the Northeast US as well, typically used by middle schoolers. That’s the last time I heard it. Usually said very sarcastically.

Reactions: Dr. J
Off topic, but China does all of our recycling. At least until they implemented the National Sword program this year. Their numbers are about to drop significantly. And our plastics are headed for Indonesia and the Philippines, who will be the next to demonize for a problem where we are at the source.

The origin study looked at where the plastics originated, as in where they were manufactured and distributed. I am skeptical that US plastics sold for recycling were dumped in the ocean in China and then incorrectly identified as originating in China.

I have never been to China but friends who have indicated that the standards there for littering and such were similar to what existed in the US up until the early 80’s.

• Informative
Reactions: ohmman
And once a fob is available, the phone app needs to be updated so its ability to lock or unlock the car can be disabled. A fob won't be much good if the car refuses to lock after you get out because the phone is still in it.

And to answer a question I've seen, I never like to carry my phone (Galaxy S5) in my pocket. It's too big and uncomfortable, and it's nearly impossible to put it in or take it out of a pocket without pressing a button you didn't want to press, or your finger gets caught on the inside of the pocket when wearing shorts, and it drags the whole pocket inside out when trying to get the phone out.
I use a belt pouch, holster, whatever you call it.

As far as driving qualities.... BMW really have been letting it go over the past generation or two. Certainly the F30 I have now has little in common with the E46 I owned once upon a time when it comes to handling and driver feedback. On the other hand the fit, finish and materials of the BMW are about as good as it gets in a mass produced car, and the technology they are putting into their dino burners is pretty darn good.

Totally agree, the E46 ZHP were great fun daily drivers, the E46 M3 S54 motor had the infamous rod bearing issues. Now the F30's are just big and cushy but that likely due to Chinese tastes as China now accounts for as quarter of BMW Group sales with the US the 2nd largest country market.