Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla 3 key card in apple watch wallet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...boomer... ;)
I am a boomer too--and my sis and I grew up back in the day when my mom would say get outside and stay out. We would play in the yard and down the road with neighborhood friends. We also swam in the Fox River about a 1/2 mile away from our house. I even remember she and I walking the several miles to town , and back, by ourselves. All good. Ah--the good old days...The irony here is that Mom always heard back from the neighbors who kind of kept tabs on us and all of the kids. Mom would get reports and query us when we got back. Lots of eyes out there.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
Yeah, the developer released this new update/feature (version 1.2.7) just this past week.
So, update the app using your phone and then your watch should automatically sync/update with your phone.

Of course, once the update is installed, you have to manually enable this new bluetooth/key fob feature.
This procedure requires that you use your original key card to authenticate/add your watch as an additional key fob that will be linked to your current driver profile. I like the added security provided by this authentication process. Assuming you are the only person that has possession of your original physical key card, this means only you have the ability to register/add your watch as a key fob. Of course, you can also unregister/remove your watch as a key fob anytime you want to (like when sell or discard your watch).
Thanks for this! It is very helpful since I often find myself in the garage without my phone.

Reactions: Jane4 and drtimhill
Yeah, the developer released this new update/feature (version 1.2.7) just this past week.
So, update the app using your phone and then your watch should automatically sync/update with your phone.

Of course, once the update is installed, you have to manually enable this new bluetooth/key fob feature.
This procedure requires that you use your original key card to authenticate/add your watch as an additional key fob that will be linked to your current driver profile. I like the added security provided by this authentication process. Assuming you are the only person that has possession of your original physical key card, this means only you have the ability to register/add your watch as a key fob. Of course, you can also unregister/remove your watch as a key fob anytime you want to (like when sell or discard your watch).
Yeah, I like this, though I already have a key-ring "card" (which is great when I'm at the beach). But having the watch as another backup is nice.

Hey guys. I just noticed another feature/functionality with this particular watch app, that I did not realize existed until now.
As shown in the screenshot attached below, this watch app allows me to automatically unlatch all four doors. As we all know, Tesla’s official mobile phone app only allows you to unlatch one (the driver’s side) door.

Not sure if this functionality (ability to unlatch all four doors) has always been available with this watch app, or if it was recently added with their recent software update (ver 1.2.7).

For those of you who have/use other 3rd party watch apps, can those other watch apps also unlatch all four doors?

329BC41C-39F8-46DE-9D72-AF132EC981AE.png

• Informative
Thank you for the info @GreenHokie , Having the WatchforTesla app act as an actual keycard over Bluetooth was something I always wanted as a backup. The weird thing is I thought the watch needed the BT Low Energy setting that the phone has, to do this, not regular BT. Does it drain the watch battery more?

And, the other weird thing is I just bought a watch strap with a RFID chip and antenna coil inside a week ago. Here I am placing my Watch next to the B-pillar to unlock the car.
by default 2023-01-05 at 4.07.31 PM.jpg
by default 2023-01-05 at 4.07.54 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for the info @GreenHokie , Having the WatchforTesla app act as an actual keycard over Bluetooth was something I always wanted as a backup. The weird thing is I thought the watch needed the BT Low Energy setting that the phone has, to do this, not regular BT. Does it drain the watch battery more?

And, the other weird thing is I just bought a watch strap with a RFID chip and antenna coil inside a week ago. Here I am placing my Watch next to the B-pillar to unlock the car.View attachment 894573View attachment 894574
Where did you get the watch strap from?

You’re welcome @KenC. I have not noticed any significant battery drain on my Apple Watch Ultra (which has a bigger battery than any of the other Apple Watch models). However, I also don’t keep the Watch for Tesla app open/active for very long whenever I do use it. I’m not sure whether this app uses the standard or a Low Energy BT. In my case, it probably would not make any difference either way, since like I said above, the app is never really on/active for very long anyway.

• Informative
Colmo strap $120 on Amazon. It's probably the supplier to Taptes”

Note: @KenC posted the above comments/link to that watch strap in another thread on the Model Y subforum.
So, I have simply copied his exact comments/link from that other thread.
I've been looking at this one but I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

• Informative
I've been looking at this one but I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Nice, I didn't know about that version. That red one is eye-catching! I'm assuming it's a kind of polyurethane? It's different than the Colmo which is stitched leather, so you can see the Colmo stuffed the RFID chip and antenna in the space between the two layers of leather. I'm assuming the NeonFox must mold the chip and antenna into the poly. Looking at the photos, it appears they also place the chip and antenna between two layers of synthetic material.

If I did it again, I'd get the red NeonFox one. I'm partial to red.

I'm not interested in giving a third party company/app access to my Tesla account. I would love to drive my 2018 M3 Tesla without my iPhone though... I have an Apple Watch.

Anyone with the Watch for Tesla know if you can add your iPhone as a keycard for Tesla without having to give the app access to your Tesla account?

Two uses: one, emergencies, if your phone gets lost or stolen, you have your Watch. Two, if you have an active lifestyle, run, bike, surf, etc., and don't want to carry your phone with you.
Exactly what I was thinking. Not likely to have Watch and phone both stolen. I don’t carry a purse so, presently , if my phone goes MIA I’m SOL.

Exactly what I was thinking. Not likely to have Watch and phone both stolen. I don’t carry a purse so, presently , if my phone goes MIA I’m SOL.
Why?

You say you dont carry a purse, but if you are getting into a vehicle, you need to be carrying your drivers license somewhere. The Tesla keycard will fit in that same place, wherever it is. You being "SOL if your phone goes MIA" is by choice, since I cant see any circumstance where someone can carry their drivers license but not the keycard.

Now, having the watch as a key can be more convenient for some, especially people who are driving somewhere to bike / hike / swim / surf etc, but thats not the same thing as "if my phone goes MIA I have a backup with the watch"

Reactions: Gasaraki
Why?

You say you dont carry a purse, but if you are getting into a vehicle, you need to be carrying your drivers license somewhere. The Tesla keycard will fit in that same place, wherever it is. You being "SOL if your phone goes MIA" is by choice, since I cant see any circumstance where someone can carry their drivers license but not the keycard.

Now, having the watch as a key can be more convenient for some, especially people who are driving somewhere to bike / hike / swim / surf etc, but thats not the same thing as "if my phone goes MIA I have a backup with the watch"
I keep my DL in my purse, locked in my trunk. So ….

I'm not interested in giving a third party company/app access to my Tesla account. I would love to drive my 2018 M3 Tesla without my iPhone though... I have an Apple Watch.

Anyone with the Watch for Tesla know if you can add your iPhone as a keycard for Tesla without having to give the app access to your Tesla account?

The apps webpage explains this:

A note about security and privacy
This app accepts two types of login. Either Tesla account credentials or a Tesla API token. Your account credentials are never stored in the app, but are used only once to obtain an authentication token and refresh token directly from the Tesla API server. If you would rather supply that token yourself, you can do so instead. It is required to supply a refresh token. Your token will be persisted in the app. Tokens will be revoked if you change your Tesla account password. No network traffic will ever be emitted from this app that goes anywhere other than directly to the Tesla API servers, unless the OPTIONAL cloud processing is enabled, in which case an in-flight encrypted ACCESS token with a lifespan of 8 hours will be transmitted and stored ONLY WHILE COMMAND IS EXECUTING. The source code for this application will at all times be made available to any security researcher for a voluntary security and safety audit.

The apps webpage explains this:

A note about security and privacy
This app accepts two types of login. Either Tesla account credentials or a Tesla API token. Your account credentials are never stored in the app, but are used only once to obtain an authentication token and refresh token directly from the Tesla API server. If you would rather supply that token yourself, you can do so instead. It is required to supply a refresh token. Your token will be persisted in the app. Tokens will be revoked if you change your Tesla account password. No network traffic will ever be emitted from this app that goes anywhere other than directly to the Tesla API servers, unless the OPTIONAL cloud processing is enabled, in which case an in-flight encrypted ACCESS token with a lifespan of 8 hours will be transmitted and stored ONLY WHILE COMMAND IS EXECUTING. The source code for this application will at all times be made available to any security researcher for a voluntary security and safety audit.
Thank you. I ended up getting Watch for Tesla. While it required I signed in through Tesla's API - I was able to link my watch to my car as a key (so it will work without a cellular connection). Also, the app lets you turn off background updates so it doesn't affect battery life. I'm pretty happy with it! Can finally drive again without my iPhone! :p