Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla 3...look but don't touch...well maybe look...

Geletka

Apr 2, 2016
Indiana, PA
So after a two year wait, I received my Model 3 config email yesterday. I immediately made a quick call to my local (1 1/2 hours away) Tesla Gallerie to see when I could stop in to check one out. My answer was...never...sort of. He indicated the only way to see one was hit or miss depending if one happened to be on site for delivery. If one was on site, it could not be unlocked (to see inside) or driven. This situation was to last at least thru summer. So Tesla asked me to plop down $1000 on a car that nobody had even seen, and now they want me to plop down $50K on a car I can't see or drive. I realize there are lots of Tesla fans in this forum, but doesn't anyone see this as idiotic?

I mean, what is there...like 100 Tesla Galleries currently in the US? Tesla couldn't place the first 100 Model 3s off the line into their Galleries to serve as demos? Being able to order now and guarantee the advantage of the $10K in credits/rebates is important, but seriously? FYI...I am in western PA, about an hour east of the City of Champions :)

BOBEDIGITL

Apr 8, 2016
Los Angeles
pretty much what novox77 said, its unfortunate but Tesla has all the power right now. If you decide to pass, there's a long line of people behind you that are more than willing to purchase. The good thing is, you don't have to immediately pull the trigger, try and locate the nearest gallery that actually has one in your area.

abasile

TSLA shareholder
Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Bernardino Mountains, California
I'm surprised that your "local" Gallery/store is telling you that they won't be able to unlock the Model 3 for you to sit inside. You might want to call again and ask to speak to a manager, or perhaps try a different store.

We went to the Century City store in Los Angeles a couple of months ago and were able to sit in a Model 3. We had to wait in line for maybe 15 minutes and they gave us all of two minutes with the car, but that was enough for us to confirm that we want it.

T34ME

Mar 31, 2016
Inland Empire
I'm surprised that your "local" Gallery/store is telling you that they won't be able to unlock the Model 3 for you to sit inside. You might want to call again and ask to speak to a manager, or perhaps try a different store.
Those were sold, customer cars. I don't want the general public sitting in my car while it is waiting for me to pick it up!

We went to the Century City store in Los Angeles a couple of months ago and were able to sit in a Model 3. We had to wait in line for maybe 15 minutes and they gave us all of two minutes with the car, but that was enough for us to confirm that we want it.
That was an inventory car. Not all Service Centers and Galleries have inventory cars.

My recommendation to the OP is defer your invitation until you have an opportunity to do whatever you need to do.

Geletka

Apr 2, 2016
Indiana, PA
Yes at this point I will defer, till an opportunity exists, or look at the Model S market. I agree, I would not want peeps crawling thru or driving my waiting for delivery Model 3 either. But still, put a hundred in the Galleries as demos until the Model 3s are more readily available. A year from now sell all those demos, it's not like there won't be buyers.

RayK

Apr 5, 2016
San Jose, CA
So after a two year wait, I received my Model 3 config email yesterday. I immediately made a quick call to my local (1 1/2 hours away) Tesla Gallerie to see when I could stop in to check one out. My answer was...never...sort of.
Not quite sure where you are located, but check out Turo.com and see if there's somebody near you that's willing to let the unwashed masses to rent their brand new Model 3. That's what I did. I'm fortunate to be in the SF Bay Area where there's a fair number of M3s already on the road. It ran me about $200/day to rent one for a long weekend. Worth every $0.01.

Reactions: T-Will

deonb

Mar 4, 2013
Redmond, WA
So Tesla asked me to plop down $1000 on a car that nobody had even seen, and now they want me to plop down $50K on a car I can't see or drive.

You will be able to give the opportunity to see the car in detail before signing the contract. You won't be able to drive it though.

You can drive a Model S if you'd like and then look at all the compare and contrast reviews on here. They're very accurate. Especially this one:
Two days with Model 3 impressions/review- This is not a mini model S

If you really need to physically drive the car before buying, step aside for a couple of years and let those through who don't need that, then try again later.

rosh

Jan 17, 2018
phildelphia

Except you saw a specific showroom car, which most locations do not have. OP's showroom likely does not have one and any model 3 onsite is owned by a customer. It's someone's personal property and they better not let someone in it.

techmaven

Feb 27, 2013
I brought my 1.5 month old Model 3 to my local Cars and Coffee the past 3 meetings and I've come across several Model 3 reservation holders. It's the only way for them to see a car without driving for hours.

You might want to see if there are any events nearby where Model 3 owners show off their cars.

PoitNarf

My dog's breath smells like dog food
Jun 7, 2016
NJ
Whining. I live in northern BC, and still have managed to sit in two model 3s already. Vancouver and Newport Beach. If it is so important to sit in one before you buy you will find a way. I can’t believe all the bellyaching I read on this board.

At the moment it is really hit or miss if you live in an area where you would be able to encounter a Model 3 in person, especially for those that don’t live in California or at least live near a major city. Now that the config invites are increasing rapidly Tesla really should have a Model 3 in every one of their showrooms by now. I wouldn’t expect any available for test drives for at least another couple of months. This is not whining. @Geletka is right, their closest Tesla location should at least have a Model 3 there that they can sit in. I’ve luckily had the opportunity to see two Model 3’s in person and one of those I was able to sit in it as well. Not all have had the same opportunies as you and I. To call it “bellyaching” for someone about to commit $50K or more to a vehicle and just want to be able to see it in person and actually sit in the drivers seat before they make their decision is completely unwarranted.

Reactions: Warrentt

SageBrush

REJECT Fascism
May 7, 2015
New Mexico
Unless I get lucky, I'll have to fly to a nearby city to see a Model 3.
I'm a lot less interested in a test drive than I am being able to compare the with and without PUP trims.

<<shrug>>

TheLocNar

Mar 10, 2018
Chicago

If I knew my car was arriving to the SC and they let total strangers sit in it, that aren't employees before I could, I wouldn't be happy.

abasile

TSLA shareholder
Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Bernardino Mountains, California
That was an inventory car. Not all Service Centers and Galleries have inventory cars.
:oops: Sorry, I wasn't careful in my reading of the post!

Totally agree that customers wouldn't want strangers sitting in their cars, at least not without some understanding in place.

Before finalizing a purchase contract, I'd probably find a way to either connect with a nearby Model 3 owner or travel further to a store that has an inventory/demo Model 3.

Reactions: SageBrush

mjp462

Sep 26, 2017
California
So Tesla asked me to plop down $1000 on a car that nobody had even seen, and now they want me to plop down $50K on a car I can't see or drive. I realize there are lots of Tesla fans in this forum, but doesn't anyone see this as idiotic?
So, you're calling yourself an idiot? Nobody is begging for your money. Tesla has hundreds of thousands of reservations after you. You won't be missed. Don't get the car if you don't feel comfortable. This is very simple.

• Disagree
Reactions: Warrentt and T34ME

iwannam3

Aug 8, 2016
Washington
Like I said, hang out at the nearest supercharger with treats. An early Model 3 owner set up a meet at the local supercharger on our local Tesla Facebook group so we could check out his 3. Had a couple of shelters set up with coffee and even a harpist playing! A guy brought the harp to check to see if it would fit in a 3 trunk, it did.

Your closest supercharger:
tesla_icon_small.png
Falls Creek, PA
Tesla Supercharger, 8 stalls, 120kW
1867 Rich Highway, Falls Creek

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC