Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla 3...look but don't touch...well maybe look...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So after a two year wait, I received my Model 3 config email yesterday. I immediately made a quick call to my local (1 1/2 hours away) Tesla Gallerie to see when I could stop in to check one out. My answer was...never...sort of. He indicated the only way to see one was hit or miss depending if one happened to be on site for delivery. If one was on site, it could not be unlocked (to see inside) or driven. This situation was to last at least thru summer. So Tesla asked me to plop down $1000 on a car that nobody had even seen, and now they want me to plop down $50K on a car I can't see or drive. I realize there are lots of Tesla fans in this forum, but doesn't anyone see this as idiotic?

I mean, what is there...like 100 Tesla Galleries currently in the US? Tesla couldn't place the first 100 Model 3s off the line into their Galleries to serve as demos? Being able to order now and guarantee the advantage of the $10K in credits/rebates is important, but seriously? FYI...I am in western PA, about an hour east of the City of Champions :)

Congrats on at least getting your invite whether you are ready to order yet or not. Assume you are a non-owner. At least now when you are you can just jump in and place the order.

I looked up Indiana, PA and saw that there are a number of Superchargers kind of in your area and also a Service Center in the general vicinity. You can pull up a map on Tesla's site under "Charging". Here's what I saw for your immediate area:

Indiana PA help.jpg

Thought the map if you weren't familiar with it might be helpful. I had a lot of luck running into a couple of Model 3 owners early on in my area at a Supercharger and they were kind enough to answer my questions and one was nice enough to insist on my sitting in it front and back while he was charging. If your local service center has a Model 3 come in maybe they would be kind enough to at least let you know so you could see one in person. Doubt they'd let you do anything else but look at it but it might be worth your time. Another suggestion is posting something in the PA area forum asking if anyone with one is in your area and would be willing to meet up with you locally or at supercharger. We attended a TMC meetup at a Central CA supercharger and several people with Model 3s brought theirs with them. One super nice gentleman and his wife let me drive theirs. So you do have options before your area gets cars into the Stores depending on how badly I guess you have the desire to see one.

Here's the link to the forum area for Pennsylvania: Mid-Atlantic

Also might want to check out this thread: Are you in PA, and have you been able to order yet?

I know there's a thread on the Model 3 forum for Where you can See a Model 3 (think I might have started it) but heading for dinner so will have to look for it later. It was started to help people know where the Show Models were being sent and available to see and sit in.

Last edited:
Reactions: SageBrush
There’s valid arguments on either side of this one...
I happen to be one of those crazy fanboy types that will very likely never touch a model 3 until it’s my own car on that glorious upcoming delivery day in 3 to 6 long weeks!

I even have an opportunity to visit the store in Manhattan as the family is heading up there for a show in a few weeks but I would need to subject the wife and the kid to take the ride (and time) with me. It’s a ‘pick your battles’ situation for me, with my wife at her wits end on hearing about this car for the past several years, I’m not sure if I’m going to do it...maybe (shrug).

For being western PA...I’m pretty sure that’s your best option for getting to sit in one that is on display since there’s one at the store in the meat-packing district of Manhattan. I was able to see one at the Devon store in PA about a month ago, I didn’t touch it though, it was an employee’s car parked in the back.
I suppose the Facebook machine might get you an opportunity as well? I don’t work with it much.

Earth Day is coming up. There should be lots of EV events of one kind or another. I bring my Model 3 to such things so that people can look it over. There haven't been any "drive it" events since I got my Model 3, but when there are then I'll be letting people drive it too. Many dozens of people have driven my first Model S.

Look around instead of complaining.

Reactions: abasile and T34ME
At the moment it is really hit or miss if you live in an area where you would be able to encounter a Model 3 in person, especially for those that don’t live in California or at least live near a major city. Now that the config invites are increasing rapidly Tesla really should have a Model 3 in every one of their showrooms by now. I wouldn’t expect any available for test drives for at least another couple of months. This is not whining. @Geletka is right, their closest Tesla location should at least have a Model 3 there that they can sit in. I’ve luckily had the opportunity to see two Model 3’s in person and one of those I was able to sit in it as well. Not all have had the same opportunies as you and I. To call it “bellyaching” for someone about to commit $50K or more to a vehicle and just want to be able to see it in person and actually sit in the drivers seat before they make their decision is completely unwarranted.
I disagree. I don't want my invitation delayed by one minute so that Tesla can put demos in every one of their stores for fence sitters to try out who failed to do their homework by actively seeking out a delivered model 3 to view. I had the opportunity to play with an owner's Black Beauty car for an hour last January (thank you @dturkes). He even offered to let me drive it, but I declined since just playing with all the systems was enough to convince me my original commitment was correct. There were about a dozen people at the event including my SIL. That experience was a mistake for me and my SIL. We became 100% sold and this makes the waiting even harder! Seeing the car in a picture is not enough. The car is unbelievable and has to be experienced. My SIL was playing with the audio UI. He said to me the car will never figure out his obscure song request. He put in the voice command and within 5 seconds the song was playing over the speakers. He turned the volume up to 11 and was blown away. :eek: He said it was the best $49K stereo system he had ever heard! SOLD! ;)

I disagree. I don't want my invitation delayed by one minute so that Tesla can put demos in every one of their stores for fence sitters to try out who failed to do their homework by actively seeking out a delivered model 3 to view.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m crazy obsessed with this car too. I made sure I saw You You’s Model 3 at his single stop in NJ which allowed me to see my first Model 3 up close and actually sit in every single seat in it too. You, me and many others here will bother to make the time to seek out a Model 3 in one way or another. But I believe we are the exception. I think it’s a bit much to expect the average Model 3 reservation holder to go through these same lengths. Some here have posted some good options in this thread for those that have not been able to see a Model 3 in person yet. But I also think Tesla should do their best to get cars in as many showrooms as possible sooner rather than later. If the production rates are where we hope they are right now Tesla would likely only need less than a days worth of production to be able to fill every showroom they have with a Model 3. I would be perfectly fine with my own delivery being delayed by a day for this to happen. I’ve waited this long, what’s another day?

I would be perfectly fine with my own delivery being delayed by a day for this to happen. I’ve waited this long, what’s another day?
That's because your car is being delivered next week. I am also a 3/31/16 reservationist in California and I don't expect to get my car until May or June. I am happy you are getting your car, but when I'm probably two months away, I don't want my car delayed by one day. If the OP needs additional time to make up his mind, I am okay with that but just let someone else take his spot in line who is ready to configure, otherwise click "defer."

So after a two year wait, I received my Model 3 config email yesterday. I immediately made a quick call to my local (1 1/2 hours away) Tesla Gallerie to see when I could stop in to check one out. My answer was...never...sort of. He indicated the only way to see one was hit or miss depending if one happened to be on site for delivery. If one was on site, it could not be unlocked (to see inside) or driven. This situation was to last at least thru summer. So Tesla asked me to plop down $1000 on a car that nobody had even seen, and now they want me to plop down $50K on a car I can't see or drive. I realize there are lots of Tesla fans in this forum, but doesn't anyone see this as idiotic?

I mean, what is there...like 100 Tesla Galleries currently in the US? Tesla couldn't place the first 100 Model 3s off the line into their Galleries to serve as demos? Being able to order now and guarantee the advantage of the $10K in credits/rebates is important, but seriously? FYI...I am in western PA, about an hour east of the City of Champions :)

There are occasional Model 3s at the Wexford, PA service center. Only customer cars (at service or awaiting delivery), so you can't climb in them (definitely look don't touch).