Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla 3, only 431 Km

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At full charge the limit indicates 331 Km but the label on the windscreen indicates 554 Km possible. Why such a difference?

Attachments

• PXL_20221030_093704202.jpg
    PXL_20221030_093704202.jpg
    480.6 KB · Views: 334
Essentially different test (Dyno cycles) that have varying reflections of reality.

Sticker = NEDC. (colloquially known as Not Even Damm Close)
Aus Marketing = WLTP
Car dash = EPA (US standard, converted to km)
Actual = highly variable.
Mostly dependent on speed, prevailing winds, road surface, rain, elevation change and weight

General recommendation is switch to %ge and don't sweat it.

On longer journeys the cars trip planner when navigating to an address takes into consideration average speed, elevation changes (and more recently wind) so is generally pretty accurate (other than in rain)

You need a few cycles for the battery calibration to sort itself out. Happens to me when I haven’t done any long drives for a while too.

no he doesnt, please dont spread misinformation.

the reason why he sees less range is because the cars rated range gets derived from kwh mulitplied by a factor to match EPA range whereas the car is advertised using WLTP and NDEC in Australia. And his car presumably has a bit of degradation too.

Reactions: positiv
no he doesnt, please dont spread misinformation.

the reason why he sees less range is because the cars rated range gets derived from kwh mulitplied by a factor to match EPA range whereas the car is advertised using WLTP and NDEC in Australia. And his car presumably has a bit of degradation too.
Hold on: the major difference between the ADR81/02 windscreen sticker and the on-screen range is certainly the different test cycle used.

But the change in the on-screen range (at the same SOC) between when the car is new and later is down to both reversible effects like BMS calibration and cell balancing, and permanent degradation - this is clear, because the on-screen range can go up as well as down, and batteries don't un-degrade!

Did you read the range Calculator Reference linked above?
I explains that the sticker for the 3 RWD of 556km is ADR 81/02 NEDC which is less accurate than the advertised range which is on the brochures and websites which is 491km and uses the WLTP method. Even that is on the high end of possibility. Real life is probably mid 400s which is almost what you are achieving. The lower range could be many things like colder weather (noting you are in Tasmania), the very wet weather being experienced (rain decreases range) and highway vs urban driving.
Unlike a normal ICE car highway driving uses more energy than urban driving as there is less brake regeneration power (and other factors) whilst you are driving along. EVs love driving around in 40-65km/hr zones. Highways at 80km/hr aren't too evil but driving over 100km/hr uses a lot of power

Hold on: the major difference between the ADR81/02 windscreen sticker and the on-screen range is certainly the different test cycle used.

But the change in the on-screen range (at the same SOC) between when the car is new and later is down to both reversible effects like BMS calibration and cell balancing, and permanent degradation - this is clear, because the on-screen range can go up as well as down, and batteries don't un-degrade!

hes talking about re-calibration. thats just not really a thing.

I find it curious that quite a few people swear by this. I have never set my display to show anything other than km 🤷‍♂️ I don’t find % helpful.
You made the switch to EV and the differences in approach so long ago that it's second nature to you by now. You've got the experience to not overthink things like charging, cables, where to go, why does the sticker say x kms but the car says y kms. All of that is now second nature to you.

For someone who is on their first EV, this transition takes time to learn new things. Switching to % is one easy to minimise the over thinking / range anxiety.