Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla 3 Performance delivery experience from earlier today (not good)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery of car at scheduled 11am appointment this morning, a 2-hour drive from my house. This was 9 days delayed, because the dealership canceled the original appointment on the 18th due to a paint blemish. They contacted me yesterday and said they don't have time to fix the blemish before year-end and encouraged me to take delivery today (for tax credit by year-end), and that they'd have it fixed at my convenience at a local body shop. To their credit, they booked me a one-way rental car to accommodate for the inconvenience.

I showed up at 10:20am, and sat through the 35-minute presentation (there were ~10 of us in the "audience" with 11am appointment times). I then sat in the waiting area, met my delivery advisor briefly (he said he needed a few minutes), and then continued to sit for another hour. At around 12:15, having observed me frustratingly pace around the dealership, the advisor notified me that he was too busy and was having one of his colleagues help me instead. The colleague came out quickly and from that point I was in my car and out of the parking lot in about 15 minutes.

Other than the aforementioned paint blemish, the car's steering wheel is dramatically off-center (~5-10 degrees clockwise), which didn't become apparent to me until I got onto the highway. It's very annoying. Does not impact driving dynamics, and the car still tracks straight. I made an appointment for 01/09/20 (first available) at my local service center. I certainly hope that they don't try to blame the off-center steering wheel on something I did, but I fully expect that will happen.

Otherwise, the car is great. Enjoyed an Arturo Fuente Opus X 20th Anniversary Lancero on the way home.

Re: battery draianage - the drive home was 129 miles of 99% highway. There was standstill traffic for about 2 miles, but otherwise was smooth sailing. On this drive, the battery depleted from 292 miles of range to 58 miles of range (a reduction of 234 miles for only 129 miles of driving). I was mostly on cruise control at 75, but did a few quick jaunts higher than that just for fun. Outside temperature was ~48 degrees F. Is this a normal differential between stated range and actual range?

Thanks!

• Disagree
Reactions: MarkBrokeIt
Re: battery drainage - the drive home was 129 miles of 99% highway. There was standstill traffic for about 2 miles, but otherwise was smooth sailing. On this drive, the battery depleted from 292 miles of range to 58 miles of range (a reduction of 234 miles for only 129 miles of driving). I was mostly on cruise control at 75, but did a few quick jaunts higher than that just for fun. Outside temperature was ~48 degrees F. Is this a normal differential between stated range and actual range?

Speeds above 55-60 affect range as well as low temperature. I'm not that surprised to see you get only 55% stated range driving fast and in cold. I did a test at 65 mph in similar temperature and lost 25% range.

Other than the aforementioned paint blemish, the car's steering wheel is dramatically off-center (~5-10 degrees clockwise), which didn't become apparent to me until I got onto the highway. It's very annoying. Does not impact driving dynamics, and the car still tracks straight. I made an appointment for 01/09/20 (first available) at my local service center. I certainly hope that they don't try to blame the off-center steering wheel on something I did, but I fully expect that will happen.

I took delivery in December 2018 and my Model 3 Performance was delivered with an off-center steering wheel as well (same direction as yours). They performed an alignment and centered the steering wheel. The alignment on my car was indeed off. Unfortunately, they curbed the front driver's side wheel either parking the car or during the alignment process... Good luck and have fun driving your new 3 !!

....Other than the aforementioned paint blemish, the car's steering wheel is dramatically off-center (~5-10 degrees clockwise), which didn't become apparent to me until I got onto the highway. It's very annoying. Does not impact driving dynamics, and the car still tracks straight. I made an appointment for 01/09/20 (first available) at my local service center. I certainly hope that they don't try to blame the off-center steering wheel on something I did, but I fully expect that will happen....

Congrats on the car. Sounds like your original DA was swamped and glad you finally got handed off to someone else who could get you out sooner. The actual paperwork at least here in California didn't take long 10-15 minutes I'd guess. I've read a few people post over time about a misaligned steering wheel at delivery and they always fixed it, no problems or hassle. Don't know why you would expect them to blame you for a misaligned steering wheel. Don't think anyone ever said that happened to them. As for the paint blemish I had 3 tiny, guess you'd call them dust spots under the paint, that I had corrected at their body shop. Couldn't tell where they were done afterwards so was very pleased. Hope you have the same experience. And really don't worry about the steering wheel.

We are in the last hours of the tax credit, and everyone is hustling in so they are eligible for the tax credit, plus its the holidays.

And, tell me again, why you were surprised that it was rushed and crowded ?

I wasn't surprised that it was crowded, and never implied such. I was disappointed that I was not seen until 75 minutes after my appointment time. Whether they deliver five cars a day or 50 cars a day, I expect that businesses will see people when they are scheduled.

Also, my delivery advisor was not swamped. He was delivering the same car to the same customer for more than 2 hours. He prioritized that difficult customer over me and my scheduled appointment time.

I took delivery in December 2018 and my Model 3 Performance was delivered with an off-center steering wheel as well (same direction as yours). They performed an alignment and centered the steering wheel. The alignment on my car was indeed off. Unfortunately, they curbed the front driver's side wheel either parking the car or during the alignment process... Good luck and have fun driving your new 3 !!

That's good to hear that this is a problem that has been previously rectified. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Misaligned steering wheel but proper tracking and other steering behavior is a good sign - seems like a simple adjustment of front tie rod on both sides, without having to fix other aspects of alignment.

Probably want to record it and inform them a.s.a.p., lest it be blamed on your driving knocking it out of alignment e.g. hitting bumps and potholes