Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla 3 Performance - parts missing from car are now on backorder?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I got my Tesla 3 Performance in Obsidian Black delivered on September 21, 2018 in Los Angeles, CA. I ordered prior to this date in time to get the free super-charging per the local Tesla Rep where we ordered the car. It is now October 30th and our account still says per per use super-charging. I have contacted our Tesla Owner-Advisor about 15 times on this and all they can say so far is they are not sure why it won't change on our account. Ok.....

Right before we were signing the DMV paperwork, the Tesla delivery guy says "oh yea not all the parts are on your car but we didn't want to keep the car from you to deliver those parts so we figured we would just give it to you know. "What parts?" I asked as I paid for 100% of a Tesla 3 performance in Obsidian black and wasn't expecting on only getting 98% of the car. "The spoiler, the body tags and the allow pedals. But no worries, your owner advisor will order them for you and they take about 2-3 weeks to get here. Once they do just make a service appt and you can get them installed." Ok well THAT was a big shocker and my gut was telling me to refuse delivery but I signed the paper anyway hoping for the best.

One week later I call and email my owner/advisor several times until I got a response. I asked what the status was of the performance parts that he ordered. He ordered no parts and had no idea what the delivery guy was talking about. Sigh. Ok so then I ordered parts with the owner-advisor and he said they would take 2-3 weeks to get here. I just checked with him again and after several emails and phone calls he responded today (10/30/18). Now apparently all those parts are on back-order with no estimated delivery date.

Meanwhile, the $5,000 option that I paid for these parts has now become worthless as Mr. Musk decided to give it away for free.

I also see that Mr. Musk has turned a profit in the 3rd quarter for Tesla and couldn't help but think I contributed to that in some small way by paying for a spoiler, body tags and alloy pedals I have yet to receive.

Oh and I also have a Telsa Solar Panel system installed that I can't turn on as the DWP has to do it but I have no idea if Tesla is supposed to make this appt or we are as I can't get anyone from the Tesla energy side to respond back to me either. You would think with this much invested in Mr. Musk I would get faster and more informative responses but I guess not. I know this is the Tesla car forum but I just wanted to give some context regarding my frustration.

So I have owned multiple BMWs and Lexus's in the past and as far as luxury car buying experiences are concerned the Tesla experience is not high on my list. I don't mean for this to be a rant but this has been an extremely frustrating car buying experience for me and I just wanted to see if this is normal and other are experience this or I should be taking more of a heated approach to trying to get some answers. I do love the car but I want what I paid for and answers to my questions. I don't think that is unreasonable to ask for.

Thanks for any feedback on this.

Reactions: neroden
Yea I guess I would just like some answers, some communication, anything from Tesla other than radio silence and misinformation on the rare occasion they do communicate. I would be fine if they told me "your parts will be in by 2/18/19 at your local dealer and installed by 3/1/19" as long as I have a timeline.

As of now I am worried that as soft as the paint job is on the car, by the time I get the spoiler (if I get it) it won't match the car anymore as the car paint has oxidized by sitting out in the sun for 6 months to a slightly different shade.

We are in the same position, but we did get the pedals. The buying experience has been subpar, but the car is phenomenal. But, I, too, am very frustrated by the lack of communication. We've had Teslas since 2013 and are loyal to this brand. I had numerous BMWs before the Tesla, and Tesla, including service, has been better.

In regards to the performance refunded, Elon Musk tweeted that to some editor of a magazine who said that was a really sh***y thing to do to curently Telsa owners. However is also said that if he refunded that he would take away their free super-charging that they currently had in exchange. I would actually be more than Ok with that as I don't use my Tesla 3 everyday and have solar now but I can't as my Internet account still says Pay per Use supercharging" even though my Owner/Advisor insists that we have it.

Regarding $5k Performance Upgrade - Tesla will either issue a refund, or you can keep the free supercharging. I opted for the $5k refund and my DS told me it is being processed and I will receive mine in 4-6 weeks (let's see....).

Regarding badges and spoiler, I escalated this to Executive response, whatever that means, and they told me "Badges and spoilers for the performance Model 3 are expected to arrive in November. When they arrive you will be contacted by your local service team.". So basically the same nonsense everyone else was told. I am almost sure this has to do with Q3 cash flow and now that, that is over we will get them.

Not sure why you don't have pedals, there were some posts about pedals missing, but when I took delivery they were on the car as many people I know who have 3P+ cars.

Yea I guess I would just like some answers, some communication, anything from Tesla other than radio silence and misinformation on the rare occasion they do communicate. I would be fine if they told me "your parts will be in by 2/18/19 at your local dealer and installed by 3/1/19" as long as I have a timeline.

As of now I am worried that as soft as the paint job is on the car, by the time I get the spoiler (if I get it) it won't match the car anymore as the car paint has oxidized by sitting out in the sun for 6 months to a slightly different shade.
You won't have to worry about the spoiler matching your paint job because it's carbon fiber. There's no paint on it.

I got mine car at the beginning of August and still don't have any dual motor performance badging. I'm curious how people order a car without knowing those things are installed after delivery. I thought the order page stated that?

I got mine car at the beginning of August and still don't have any dual motor performance badging. I'm curious how people order a car without knowing those things are installed after delivery. I thought the order page stated that?

Not stated anywhere in writing and only notified on delivery officially that badging and spoiler would be provided post delivery.

Not stated anywhere in writing and only notified on delivery officially that badging and spoiler would be provided post delivery.
It’s on the ordering page since day 1.

C6FB34E0-D8B4-4C8B-AA8A-ACEF65804C6C.png

I didn’t get any word during delivery they they owe me something.

Reactions: jsrawa
It’s on the ordering page since day 1.

View attachment 349525

I didn’t get any word during delivery they they owe me something.

That meant installed at the delivery center, not “we will provide it when we feel like it”. There are always dealer installed options on cars. It doesn’t mean you wait months for them to actually show up.

I also have an outstanding delivery do list for both items provided to me at delivery.

Last edited:
True, but Tesla has no dealers nor are they a traditional manufacturer ;)

True, but I would also make the point that the spoiler and badging were not "available for installation" after my delivery, they are not even "available" now ;). While I am a multi-Tesla owner, so I probably should have seen this coming, I honestly read that as "not factory installed", and not as "we have no idea when you are getting these pieces of the car that you paid us for already".

Probably naive in hindsight I guess, would not have changed my decision at all, but this is something Tesla should have rectified already. RPM has had spoilers in stock for months and Tesla cannot get them? Honestly don't care about badging one way or the other, but I do want the spoiler I paid for.