Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla 3 Performance v. Porsche 911 4S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a .2 GTS(stage 2) and a M3P. When i'm driving the M3 I crave the GTS sound and trans and when I drive the GTS I want that instant torque and all the tech. It'd be hard to choose one over the other. I consider myself lucky and blessed.

I'm kinda in the same boat. I've got my 500hp muscle car with the amazing V8 sountrack, comfy ride, etc. Might just keep it to remind me from time to time what that sounds like. From a daily driver standpoint, I don't think I could ever seriously consider a gasser again. At some point. I'll probably just feel guilty letting the old car mostly sit around in the garage and sell it.

Reactions: LionXng
Mafpolo, my 'yes!!!' was to bringing back silver. I love the gray but it shows dirt quickly and badly. I really don't find anything wrong with the paint job on my M3P but I'm not sure I would notice anyway. I really never noticed the paint work on my Porsches. I just loved the silver color particularly in the last one. I forget what they called it. it had been an expensive option but came standard on the 991.2 C4S. The prior model had a slight brown hue to the silver (GT?) that I never cared for.
Silver is my favorite paint color, but it also has shown the least amount of dirt of any color car. My wife had a white Audi A8, and white shows a lot of dirt. Now she has a metallic black Panamera....black shows dirt really badly. My silver vehicle can go for a while before it needs a bath, and I alway slike my cars to look clean.

Thank you for the write up about your 3 versus a 911. For the past couple of years, i've been analyzing, driving, even spending some track time in both 911's and Cayman/Boxsters trying to decide which of the bucket list cars I wanted. The 911 was going to be the obvious choice. Even looked @ a 2019 911S w/only 600 miles that was optioned perfectly and was priced to sell. But, in Feburary, while in ATL for business, I test drove a Model 3 with one of my best friends who is also something of a car guy like me. While driving the car, I told him and the rep, the Tesla was a game changer to the point I would consider it over the 911. I put my order in just over a week ago(LR Model 3 w/FSD. I just couldn't bring myself to pay right at double the cost of the Model 3 given what I had experienced in my test drive. I'm really looking forward to this vehicle and intend to drive the hell out of it going to see elderly parents 11 hours from where I live in the hometown of Jimmy Buffett. Ive also got children who life on the West Coast, Kansas and SC. I really think this is going to change the way I travel dramatically.

Here's a vid (in Russian) of the new Porsche Taycan 4S drag racing the Performance 3.

As you may have guessed, the P3 won. But the funny part is that the 4S ran a 12.6. Now granted, it had a person in the car when the P3 didn't - we could bring it down to a 12.5 or let's say even high 12.4 to be generous. That's literally still slower than a Non-Boosted LR AWD 3, which is running around 12.2 in the 1/4 mile these days. Even before the free power upgrades, I was running 12.4's in my LR AWD. So a 2.2x the price sports car is still slower than Tesla's modest offering.

Annotation 2020-06-07 142027.png

They also showed how the Model 3 with it's superior cooling held up run after run no problem compared to the Porsche Taycan 4S.

They also showed how the Model 3 with it's superior cooling held up run after run no problem compared to the Porsche Taycan 4S.
Hilarious. So Porsche's talking point on that is really only a dig that works against the Model S? Or does the Raven (that's not a Raven, they are using in the video or is it?) already address it so it is only a dig against older Model S?

Hilarious. So Porsche's talking point on that is really only a dig that works against the Model S? Or does the Raven (that's not a Raven, they are using in the video or is it?) already address it so it is only a dig against older Model S?

I think it's mainly against the Model S but Porsche has been vague in it's dig; I think just generalizing against "Tesla" or "competitors" without being specific on model. I'm not sure if the Raven powertrain has better cooling than before though, but I'd imagine that the Plaid S will definitely have better cooling given its purported lap times on the Green Hell.

Reactions: SammichLover
I think it's mainly against the Model S but Porsche has been vague in it's dig; I think just generalizing against "Tesla" or "competitors" without being specific on model. I'm not sure if the Raven powertrain has better cooling than before though, but I'd imagine that the Plaid S will definitely have better cooling given its purported lap times on the Green Hell.
My understanding is that the Raven P100D uses the rear DU out of the Model 3 Performance (or some variant on that) and they changed the cooling architecture to some extent (makes sense with the different DU), so very good chance it has better thermal management. I just don't know how much, and to what effect.

EDIT: I failed to track down the info via Search of the Model S forum, as well.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: FlatSix911
Clarification, the Raven uses the P's rear DU tech for their front DU. It is a weird turn about. I guess the front DU on the older Model S is the one that was the chokepoint for the heat limiting issues?

That sounds about right. PMSR type motor like in the 3 in the front, and keeping induction motor in the rear but with the higher power output (as it can handle more with no torque ripple).

Reactions: SammichLover
I just traded my 997.2 Targa 4S for my model 3 performance. Agree with the OP, the Tesla is awesome.

Only 2 downsides that I can think of: 1) Model 3 is much bigger, so much more car to clean/take care of. 2) The 997 targa had the glass roof (really a glorified sunroof) that would slide open, and I miss that. Would be nice to have an open roof on the Model 3.
Congratulations, f308gt4!

Reactions: f308gt4

One could surmise that since the Raven Model S (and X) use the more efficient front motor and inverter (SiC instead of Si power electronics), that relatively less heat is generated in the first place that then has to be 'managed'. Be fun to see some actual tests of this.

I have a question, I figure a Carerra T manual would be the perfect compliment to my P3D, I figure the latter would be a more visceral experience so having both would satisfy the desires I cannot get in both (Do want the sport exhaust and everything)

Agree or disagree that it would be a dream combo? 911 and P3D

To answer your question, we have a P3D and a 911 Turbo and it is a dream come true. We upgraded from a regular 911 to the turbo because the Tesla was so much faster. Either would be great and will keep you smiling ear to ear when you hit the go pedal.
Art

I have noticed that Tesla drivers (we have a great many in my area) tend to drive rather slowly (as in strictly within the speed limit) but considerately, in the right lane. Corvettes too, I've noticed. While yahoos in jacked up trucks always seem to drive in the left lane. At least in NJ.

The jacked up trucks like the left lane here in Washington too. The reason is obvious: They don't want someone getting 30 mpg or more to pass them while they are only getting 15 mpg (or less). They feel they are paying enough road tax they OWN the left lane! :rolleyes: