Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla 3 Performance v. Porsche 911 4S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My understanding is homelinks license requires Tesla to pay them for every car the HW is installed in. Regardless of if it's ever activated.

Tesla already knew what % of the 3 fleet actually used it when they made the decision to move it to an after-purchase option (it used to be in every car)- so clearly they found it's cheaper for them this way.
Thank you for the explanation, Knightshade. Smart companies usually make smart, rational decisions!

BTW, I mentioned sex appeal as an attribute of the 911.

For anyone considering a 911 over a Tesla 3 Performance, just for the record, I never got noticed, let alone propositioned, let alone laid! Over 16 years. Beyond work, mostly in Manhattan, driving and parking my sexy, silver 911. And for sure I was often with my lovely wife. But even so.

I think the intangible benefits of these more exotic cars are oversold. Maybe Ferraris and Lamborghinis are different! Or maybe its the driver!

Life is beautiful as is driving my new Tesla! Maybe that's what I was missing!

Thank you, everyone, for the warm welcome to this forum!

70+ cars....nice! I'm approaching car #50 pretty soon. My next will be 48. I love the thrill of the case of car shopping. Can't wait to get a Tesla, cant decide if I go M3 for more immediate gratification or wait it out for the Y. Either way I'm a few months off while my house is being finished and I'll have a place to charge.

Back to the original poster question...Have had 911 turbo S, Tesla MS P90D, and now M3P (and some other high end cars prior and long history of porsches in the family over several decades). I feel your hesitation and concern. Loved the porsche handling, power, design, and fit, and oddly the turbo lag.... but it died a horrible death (teenager running red light cross traffic). Ultimately went EV with the Tesla S, absolutely loved the instantaneous torque and exterior design BUT fit and interior finish as well as nimble handling was lacking (feels as big as boat). M3P is nice to throw around corners and has reasonably strong, fun torque, and the right size for me. And trackable. It is still lacking for top notch finish. Once you go performance EV with linear torque, it is hard to go back to gas guzzler with revving to reach the sweet spot for torque. Also appreciate... comparisons for handling need "similar" equivalent upgrades for suspension and wheels/tires. Stock M3P wheels/tires do surprisingly well for their size width/contact patch...but can easily go wider but at the cost of daily driver EV range. M3P also needs to have somewhat lower stance and firmness to compare appropriately to porsche. Multiple gear engine braking lacking in EV but reasonable regenerative breaking effect (but wish it was more controllable degree of effect on the fly, like gear shifting).

Overall, M3P is not a Porsche equivalent in many ways, but also without the Porsche price. It is a great choice option for the fun handling possible and is emission free. Taycan was certainly of interest to me, but based on reviews was going to pass for now.

Can also wait another few years .... there are sure to be plenty of favorable options to choose (but who ever wants to wait). Expect a lot of improvements with future EVs with so many benefits to partake.

Best of luck

Reactions: Pluglife and neezer
First, let me introduce myself as new to EV. My wife and I had an M5,and a 996tt and now we have been shopping for a 997.1tt for a few months. An evil friend told us before we commit to any thing "drive a Model 3 Performance", the CFO loved it, I thought it was ok. Yesterday I test drove a 997.1tt and I couldn't believe how slow if felt waiting for the turbos to spool up and finally start pulling. That said we are now seriously considering a Model 3 performance over the tt even though the tt is way sexier looking.
So... My question for all of you:
What would be a draw back to a 2018 M3P at $45k vs a 2020 M3P at $64k? or a 2019 M3P at $52k?

I have feverishly been reading all am to solve this dillemma and can only come up with:
  • HW 2.5 vs HW 3 - $2000 upgradable system?
  • maybe missing a frunk mat and some various hooks?
  • fender panel fitment issues
FSD does not interest me as I like to drive, I don't care about a few miles already on it. I just don't want a 2018 if I can only do x with it whereas a 2020 can do x,x,x,x, and x.

I am mostly interested in performance - related aspects.

Thank you f

Well, I haven’t owned anything really expensive, but the Model 3 at high speeds is anything but stable lol. Going 160 km/h (I know this isn’t high speed) but it does not feel right over highway speeds. It kind of feels jumpy with excessive wind noise that takes away the fun. Seats do need improvement for sure when cornering or accelerating. Just my opinion

For reference I have the 2020 Model 3 performance.

First, let me introduce myself as new to EV. My wife and I had an M5,and a 996tt and now we have been shopping for a 997.1tt for a few months. An evil friend told us before we commit to any thing "drive a Model 3 Performance", the CFO loved it, I thought it was ok. Yesterday I test drove a 997.1tt and I couldn't believe how slow if felt waiting for the turbos to spool up and finally start pulling. That said we are now seriously considering a Model 3 performance over the tt even though the tt is way sexier looking.
So... My question for all of you:
What would be a draw back to a 2018 M3P at $45k vs a 2020 M3P at $64k? or a 2019 M3P at $52k?

First drawback would be finding one for 45k. I've seen trade in offers near that for 2-steps-down RWD ones, let alone AWD Ps

Second would be a 2020 is 56.9k not sure where you got 64 from unless you're adding FSD.... which you specifically mention doesn't interest you so not sure why you would do that.

I have feverishly been reading all am to solve this dillemma and can only come up with:
  • HW 2.5 vs HW 3 - $2000 upgradable system?
No.

HW3 is currently only available if you don't already have it and you buy FSD.

In a 2018 that will be anywhere from $4000 to some insane number like $11,000 depending what options the car already has.. (I think it's 3-4k if you already have EAP which was available in 2018 but hasn't been since early 2019... and the larger number if you have no version of autopilot on the car right now).

maybe missing a frunk mat and some various hooks?

2020s you mean? Yeah... also missing homelink (can be added after delivery for $300), the 14-50 adapter ($35 for that), and a few other minor bits.

fender panel fitment issues

Completely YMMV. Mine were fine on a 2018 brand new- others still report occasionally getting a bad delivery to this day (though much less often than when the car launched)

FSD does not interest me as I like to drive, I don't care about a few miles already on it. I just don't want a 2018 if I can only do x with it whereas a 2020 can do x,x,x,x, and x.

I am mostly interested in performance - related aspects.

Thank you f

There's no real functional/performance difference at all between a 2018 P and a 2020 P... 20s allegedly have a little more sound isolation though and there's minor variation in the EPA ratings year to year but it looks like this may not be an actual physical difference just the "constant" the computer uses to estimate range.